Organic Food Not Nutritionally Better Than Conventionally-pr

Discussion in 'General chat' started by spiraleddie, Jul 30, 2009.

1. Yukkuri_Kame

Yukkuri_Kame Junior Member

Didn't know about that.

Bromide can be a major disruptor of thyroid function. Assume it is present in all baked goods and all flour made from wheat, unless it is clearly labelled unbromated.

2. Yukkuri_Kame

Yukkuri_Kame Junior Member

If I visit, please don't put me in the control group! :-(

3. Grahame

Grahame Senior Member

hehe, if you visit Yukkari you will eat the best stuff we have :)

You only need control groups to convince people with proof. In my opinion if people need proof that Organic is better than Conventional then they are boofheads who just don't want to believe in something that is patently obvious. And it is virtually impossible to convince people of something they don't want to believe!

And if the aforementioned boofheads come to visit - they will get the best stuff we have too ;)

4. Michaelangelica

Michaelangelica Junior Member

Objectives: To survey existing literature comparing nutrient content of organic and conventional crops using statistical methods to identify significant differences and trends in the data.

Design:. . .

Results: Organic crops contained significantly more vitamin C, iron, magnesium, and phosphorus and significantly less nitrates than conventional crops.
    There were nonsignificant trends showing less protein but of a better quality and a higher content of nutritionally significant minerals with lower amounts of some heavy metals in organic crops compared to conventional ones.

Conclusions: There appear to be genuine differences in the nutrient content of organic and conventional crops.
    https://www.liebertonline.com/doi/abs/10.1089/107555301750164244

5. wormwood scrubs

wormwood scrubs Junior Member

I know this thread is a little old, but surely we need organic subcategories i.e: crap industrial organic grown by someone who wants to charge organic prices, sincere industrial organic grown by someone who cares, and home grown organic grown by the people it feeds- surely they would all have different nutritional and spiritual values.

i have had some awful organic veg that obviously had been through the same hands as normal supermarket veg, judging by taste and colour, i would assume that this had next to no nutritional value.

On another point, why is industrial farming always referred to as the "normal" way to farm while growing things naturally is the special case. Why is a barn raised chicken not specially labelled but a free range organic chicken is something special. if only this thinking could be changed . . .

6. Grahame

Grahame Senior Member

Yep, there is Organic and then there is Organic.

One thing to remember is that the variety of vegetable can be very telling also. Organic grown for the supermercado is still going to be those display type varieties - based more on 'shelf life', transportability, colour, size and other visual desirability. Where as we can grow stuff that tastes best when you are wandering around the garden straight from the vine, warmed by the sun.

The whole broad acre thing for the bulk market is just silly.

7. Pakanohida

Pakanohida Junior Member

It needs to include also cloned food, and gmo foods since they actually are different from real food. I believe this is a glib and short sighted study. Good read though. ty.

8. Michaelangelica

Michaelangelica Junior Member

I picked my first lemon from a recently planted tree the other day;
    it had ripened on the tree for some time.
    It had an enormous quantity of delicious juice; would make 4-5 store bought lemons