organic compost available on market

Discussion in 'Planting, growing, nurturing Plants' started by missf, May 20, 2008.

1. missf

missf Junior Member

Farmer
    Home Page:
    Climate:
    Dry
    I am looking at getting some seedlings going a s a p and will not have my compost ready in the near future.
    What is the best organic compost available on the market?
    I d love to learn your experiences with cmommercial compost :D

2. missf

missf Junior Member

Farmer
    Home Page:
    Climate:
    Dry
    Re: organic compost available on market

looks like ill have to answer my own post then. it is searles compost thative found to be organic on the commercial market.

3. gardenlen

gardenlen Group for banned users

g'day missf,

mmm answering your own questions mmm lol??

anyhow i dunno how i didn't see this post earlier, sometimes for me posts seem to be delayed before i see them??

anyhow not sure if any of them are the best, as you need to research how they are originally made and by whom, most companies like searles would no be producing their own raw material for their potting and garden mixes.

so i at times use a cheaper brand than maybe waht you use, brunnings wetta compost i think it is called.

i use it knowing that the term organic placed upon it and the others may not mean what we natural organic purists consider as organic, but "they" those in the business from the gov' down own the word/term "organic", and where money/profits is involved corruption quickly follows. they do some random sampling for cantimanation levels, levels that they keep moving the bar on, and who says any level is safe, but the compost is only one way they have of recycling industrial waste back into our lives. only the very worst of get incinerated which is a very expensive opperation.

so having said that those composts will very likely come from the same source that is the green recycling section of our local refuse tips or collection points, wher it is amassed and shredded/chipped and then mixed with recycled waste from the sewerage farms, as well as liquid industrial waste that gets mixed into it as well as otehr dry type wastes from industry/hospitals etc.,. then it is composted to break it down some before it then gets used by the company you mentioned and i mentioned to name but 2, in their retail garden products.

some of the material that gets used is cca treated timbers furniture the wooden and cloth parts, one pile awaiting chipping at our local tip contains tyres in it (of course they "may" take the tyres out befre chipping but then they "may" not also as the chippers they use will crunch everything including old cement sections and rocks, so along with waht i indicated before add these things.

now as natural organic permaculturists should we use the stuff?? for sometimes "you gotta do - what you gotta do" hey, so long as we use product in the knowledge of what can be in it, this is not a perfect world so to say.

ok that's 2 of us who have responded huh lol.

len

4. ppp

ppp Junior Member

when I first set up a garden, I bought "commercial topsoil". This was a mix of rotted bark chips and ash (potentially nasty).. it has taken alot of effort and manure, compost etc to make it ok, but I would never buy it again. I have in the past grabbed a couple of bins full of vegie scraps from the back of a shop, and had a good pile of compost in less than a coupele of months.. I also suggest getting chooks.. all of my neighbours now bring over their scraps, and they get so much that they don't all get eaten, meaning I get a good amount of material for making my own compost...

5. gardenlen

gardenlen Group for banned users

doesn't sound like a pee poor performance to me ppp hey lol?

good one.

len

6. IntensiveGardener

IntensiveGardener Junior Member

Hi missf,
    Like len i somehow missed your post until now.
    Len is right about the nasty things going into "municipal compost" as they call it around here. I'v tryed it for growing broccoli (i think it was) and had very poor results and obviously something inhibiting plant growth compared with the bed treated with good home made compost.

For seed raising i'v found a product called "permafert" to be fairly good. I mix it with cheap potting mix and some sand. Worm castings or sifted homemade compost provide better results though.

You might consider trying mushroom compost.
    It may not always be "organic", as we define the term, but it is usually made from horse or pig manure mixed with lime and possibly other fertilizers.
    The benifits of mushroom compost are that
    a) it will have been heated up to a high temperature to sterilize it which is necessary for commercial mushroom growing. This usually means its completely weed free, provided that it is true mushroom compost.
    and
    B) Due to the nutritional requirements of mushrooms it usually has dolomite or lime added. This will stop it from acidifying your soil and the calcium in the compost will be available to the plants fairly quickly because it has been through the composting process.

having said that i'v always found home made compost to be much better than any product available.
    good luck,
    IG

7. thepoolroom

thepoolroom Junior Member

The other great thing with mushroom compost is that the mycelium it contains will help break down any other compostable materials you mix it with. Plus mushrooms are fairly touchy with insecticides and other nasties, so the growers need to be pretty organic in their approach to get good yields.

8. Paul Cereghino

Paul Cereghino Junior Member

Our local mushroom grower uses insecticides to combat fungus knat and other flies... a sad state given the aforementioned virtues. There appears to be some research lately on using Bt and other biological controls.