Opportunity for a Large NZ Project

Discussion in 'Jobs, projects, courses, training, WWOOFing, volun' started by Farside, Nov 30, 2012.

1. Farside

Farside Junior Member

I didn't really know where to put this so I started this thread.
    Reading this news article this morning:
    https://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/news/article.cfm?c_id=1&objectid=10851001

I wondered if Christchurch city would be open to converting part of the new red zone into a food forest and community permaculture demonstration facility.

I don't live in Christchurch and aren't familiar with the politics but it could be a great opportunity for some keen people.

2. andrew curr

andrew curr Moderator

perfect site ! great soil mild climate
    im sure they could be convinced
    i assume the red zone is considered too dangerous to build on with conventional buildings

3. Farside

Farside Junior Member

Yes, this is correct. The soil has a tendency to liquefy in an earthquake. It's a massive area so I'm sure they would be open to some of it being put to good use. The alternative is grassing it and turning it into a park. Or a landfill :)

4. pebble

pebble Junior Member

Climate:
    Inland maritime/hot/dry/frosty
    What is happening in Chch is very difficult. Yes, good opportunities for creating something amazing, but at this stage hard to see it happening. The insurance issues are complex and not being resolved very well, and taking a long time. Further, in the wake of the quakes the govt has formed a kind of dictatorship called CERA, which is being run by a govt minister who is an idiot and a bully and if he has an ounce of vision in him, we've not been privy to it so far.

Locals have of course been visioning good things but to what extent they will be listened to I am not sure.

5. andrew curr

andrew curr Moderator

how large is this site
    could be a while waiting for the gvt
    might have to walk through there with a bucket of acorns from over the avon river next autumn
    are there any interesting plantings at massey university?

6. pebble

pebble Junior Member

Climate:
    The CBD redzone map is here:

https://cera.govt.nz/cbd-red-zone/red-zone-cordon-map

Much of that is to be rebuilt.

The Eastern suburbs, where the worst liquefaction is, is 400 hectares according to this. Interesting take from the govt scientists on urban forestry:

https://www.scionresearch.com/gener...nefits-along-christchurch-lower-avon-corridor

Nice pictures here of nature carrying on:

https://www.christchurchstar.co.nz/news/nature-taking-over-christchurch-red-zone/1642399/

One of the local initiatives (and showing a map of the 'redzone' in the east). True to the iconography, Chch is built on a swamp.

https://www.avonotakaronetwork.co.nz/christchurch-red-zone-map.html

7. Farside

Farside Junior Member

IF the red zone is accessible to the public then yes, it could be worth taking a walk through there with a load of pioneer and leguminous seeds...

8. Farside

Farside Junior Member

I contacted Scion about this and they're very interested in the food forest concept (it was news to them). If anyone is available in the ChCh area to talk with them I am happy to connect you. They are initially want to know about which plants would be suitable for the region. A time stacking strategy might blow their minds a bit too much but it's worth running them through the concept.

I'm serious, this could be a great opportunity to do something great here. I'm currently living in Canada so the commute's a little too much for me :)

9. Farside

Farside Junior Member

The Avon Otakaro Network is meeting with Scion tomorrow to discuss community food gardens, conifer herbariums, urban forests with fruits, and a mixed exotic and native plantings.

They are really keen to hear about a permaculture initiative. Anyone available to present the concept?

10. Farside

Farside Junior Member

Guys, this really is potentially a very high profile opportunity.

Christchurch is rapidly becoming an example of how a developed city recovers and adapts to a natural disaster in such a way that the result is better then the original.

There are a lot of influential people around the world closely watching what Christchurch does.

11. pebble

pebble Junior Member

Climate:
    Try the oooby ning to contact permies in the Canterbury area. There should be a local contact on the PiNZ website too. Facebook probably has a Canterbury permaculture account.