OPINION: The sustainability of wilderness

Discussion in 'The big picture' started by Michaelangelica, Mar 10, 2010.

1. Michaelangelica

Michaelangelica Junior Member

https://www.onlineopinion.com.au/view.asp?article=10145
    Some extracts from comments

2. geoff

geoff Junior Member

I'm really surprised at the fact that the first raft of comments were all essentially anti-wilderness, surprised and greatly saddened...

3. Michaelangelica

Michaelangelica Junior Member

You think everyone believes and sees as you do.
    Don't be sad, I'm sure it is a minority view

4. pumpkin

pumpkin Junior Member

I believe most people understand the importance of wilderness for biodiversity and healthy ecosystems. There will always those who are of the over-consuming and overt growth view that do not value wilderness over a dollar. Fact of life but most people I find are not like this. It is the minority but unfortunately many are in power and they are all listening to vested business interests. Commonsense will eventually rule over devastation (crosses fingers).

5. geoff

geoff Junior Member

For all the wealth of information on the internet we still seem to live in isolated enclaves of similar thinking peoples, which can have the effect of making it seem like there are more people who are in general agreement with our particular train of thought. I guess even though we're online, we're still birds of a feather in so many ways. The sad part is that it's most likely not a minority view.

6. The sustainability of wilderness ...

In the Australian context ah would ask just what is wilderness ?... if it is areas untouched by humans then there aint no such thing in the land of Oz.

7. geoff

geoff Junior Member

I doubt there are many areas of true virgin wilderness on any of the populated continents. I'd imagine wilderness to be areas that aren't managed by humans, so are able to grow their own ecosystems.

8. In Oz our bush has been human managed via fire for 50,000 odd years. The current Oz bush has evolved to suit a human input (if ya believe Flannery amongst others) ... would it be considered natural to continue this human input in our "wilderness" places ?