Opinion on BIOLYTIX home waste water treatment

Discussion in 'Designing, building, making and powering your life' started by Parata, Apr 11, 2008.

1. Parata

Parata Junior Member

Hello,
    I am new to this forum and I am looking to build our dream home on an acreage.
    This house with require a home sewerage system to treat our waste water.
    I am interested in using a system by BIOLYTIX and I was wondering if there are already some users on this forum and if they are happy with it.
    Also if any one has other sewerage systems to advise about, I'll be happy to consider them.
    Thank you all.
    Parata

2. openeyes

openeyes Junior Member

IT Consultant
    Climate:
    Temperate
    Re: Opinion on BIOLYTIX home waste water treatment

Hi,

I researched this septic system for some time and in the end built one myself based on similar principles.

The system works very well. Although I keeped a regular check on the system, it really did not require it. After two years of use the level of compost on the top had no changed and was very active with worms and other smaller critters. Things to be aware of are the effect that antibiotics and worm tablets will have on the system. These can of course kill off parts of the system. It can be as simple as restocking with worms (may not be necessary). Antibiotics are generally no as bad but if you were talking strong tablets for some time then this may be something you would have to assess. Taking all this into account really very little attention is required.

The filtration system is well designed but very simple. If you have a slope on you property then you have the best of both worlds since the system will not require a pump as the drainage can be by gravity.

If you have any further questions just let ask away.

Good luck with your project.

3. Parata

Parata Junior Member

Laundry detergents and dishwasher liquid can be used regardless of their brand and composition ?

I am taking about reasonable usage. Coming for a "city sewered life", I'd like to know if I have to change my washing liquid choices.

BIOLYTIX argues that they are fine no matter the washing liquids used withing a normal level usage regardless of brand and composition.

Cheers,

Thierry.

4. openeyes

openeyes Junior Member

IT Consultant
    Climate:
    Temperate

Hi Thierry,

Well we are environmentalists so we used eco friendly detergents ie Aware laundry, Enviro Clean Dishwashing powder and Green Aussie Cleaner (highly recommended).

Biolytix have to account for all types of customers I guess. But from an environmental point of view I would always suggest a lower impact product. I mean the outflow is going to end up on your property so ultimately it is to your advantage to only add the best quality product to your land (in my opinion).

But as mentioned my experience is that the system can accept quite a variance of product. You can also go so far as to add an "insinkerator" as this will all get digested by the worms. Having said that there are some things that I feel are best avoided - eg bleach. It is a living system so anything you put down the sink is going to go to the worms. So washing paint brushes in the sink would not be good (so wash them onto the lawn). Treat it like a large compost pile - it is alive and you want it to stay that way to work at it's optimum.

Hope that makes sense.

Kindest Regards,
    Ross

5. Parata

Parata Junior Member

Ross,

BIOLYTIX seems to be a good environmentalist and sustainability choice in comparison to "traditional" HSTP which require more electricity (more carbon emission) and also use chlorine to disinfect the water before it's dispersed onto your garden.
    Apparently, traditional HSTPs require maintenance on a 3 months basis which come at a cost to the home owner.

BIOLYTIX only require an annual maintenance in QLD, hopefully it will be still cheaper than 4 x 3 months maintenance.

Cheers,

Thierry

6. openeyes

openeyes Junior Member

IT Consultant
    Climate:
    Temperate

Yeah definitely a good choice of the different ones available in my opinion. Not just from an environmentalist point of view though - I genuinely feel their design is much better thought out and tested. My own experiment has verified this for me. I have seen another system that was hopeless in comparison.

Using chlorine as a post processing method is totally rediculious and way over the top. Of course disease and pathogens are a real concern and should be approached with a serious intention. But hey it is you that is there and you know what diseases you have. And if you saw a septic tank cleaner in action you would know the risk is low. The council are so busy protecting their own **** that it all turns about to be very silly.

I did contact Biolytix about this annual service that they do and asked if it was possible to not do this. Apparently this is part of their certification with councils and is complusary. My experience shows that this is simply a money maker for them and is totally unnecessary (after two years my systems had simply not changed). I have a bit of a bee in my bonnet about this because the certification that they have to go through adds considerably to the cost of these systems and I would really love to see a far greater proportion of homes using this system.

Kindest Regards,
    Ross

7. gardenlen

gardenlen Group for banned users

g'day parata,

why not keep it simple?

we used a nature-loo dry composting toilet (best way to conserve your own water supply), a whole lot cheaper too.

and all our grey water simply went through a grease trap (thoughtless council requirement) and then to the gardens, we make our own laundry gel and use that earth friendly dish detergent and all worked very well, no maintenance worries no worries about regulatiosn that dictate soemone coming at huge expense to pop in a chlorine pill, with 2 of us about every 7 months we got well composted humus for the agrdens, too easy.

so along with our eco' warm-house/cool-house we had it good we reckon.

len

8. horape

horape New Member

gardenlen said:
    Does your laundry gel works on an automatic washing machine? Would you care to share the recipes?

Thanks.

9. gardenlen

g'day horape,

we use twin tub washing machines they save power and water management is better.

the recipe used by many happy users will work in any washing machine as far as i know is on our "remedies" page.

len

10. horape

horape New Member

Thanks, your page looks very interesting.

Is "pure soap" what we call "white soap" (or "washing soap") ? Doesn't it become a high-suds soap and then be inadequate for a front-loader washing machine?

Eucaliptus and tea tree oils are very expensive or just unknown, can they be replaced by something cheaper?

Thanks!
    H

11. gardenlen

g'day horape,

over here we use a brand called sunlight soap is is unaddulterated with scents and perfumes etc.,. etc.,. i guess pure soap is lye soap the same i dunno might be what you can get?

it is not high sudsing.

it just washes cleanly without any fancy stuff.

um the oils would suggest eucalyptus and or tea tree oils are widely available, we only use euc' oil at a slighlty higher rate as we like the aroma and it is antiseptic as well. you don't use a lot in the mix.

but i guess if you could find naturla vegetative oils with antiseptic values you could substitute??

len

12. Parata

Parata Junior Member

Hi,

BIOLYTIX has advised me that they are putting the price up at the end of the month.
    Saving the environment is becoming a costly business by the day.
    We are a in a "vicious circle". I am glad their are guys like you trying hard to break it.

Cheers,

Thierry.

13. pinkster

pinkster New Member

Hi All,

I too am building on acreage and wondering about the best type of sewerage to invest in-are there any cheaper alternatives to Biolytix that use same or similar principle that anyone on this forum is aware of?
    Thanks, Pinkster

14. gardenlen

g'day pinkster,

about the most economical, reliable, low maintenance and versatile is nature-loo

https://www.nature-loo.com.au/

or go to the humanure site and make a simpler ssytem yourself, but you are going to need to satisfy local council regulations so suggest nature-loo then you have a good system.

len

15. deee

deee Junior Member

Hi everyone,
    I've been lurking for a while, but your post prompted me to register, Ross. I'm really interested in your system. Would it be OK if I PM'ed you for more info?

Len, I'd love a natureloo, but we our bathroom is on a slab. Any holes fill with water, so a natureloo would require some engineering. I've not ruled it out, but as we already have a septic (with blocked trenches), a biolytix may present a workable alternative, with something like a wattworks to re-use laundry water for toilet flushing.
    Danielle

16. gardenlen

g'day deee,

did you check their smaller units?

len

17. deee

deee Junior Member

Hi Len,
    Yes, I have looked at their smaller units. We used a Compact at a campsite in Brogo last year. It was fantastic. A friend has a Sunmar, which seems a bit over-engineered when the Compact does the same job. Sadly, the men in my life object to have the toilet contents hanging around in the bathroom! My husband is keen to make our own natureloo, but this would involve digging under the floor AND raising the existing floor height because of flooding concerns in wet weather (any holes fill with water, so less digging is better). He's also threathening to build an outhouse. While I realise an indoor loo is a bonus for much of the world, once you've had one, the 2 am walk down the yard seems a bit harsh. I'd rather have the Compact. The lads would rather have the outhouse (which may put paid to their reading on the loo on a cold night!). I suppose I could grow chokoes over the top and it may be an outlet for some mud-brick building fantasies. I can't come at the cost of the Biolytix at the moment, and I'd rather go with a low-tech solution, so we need to weigh up all options. Nothing new there. And there is the ever backward Hawkesbury City Council's opinion to consider.
    Danielle

18. gardenlen

g'day dee,

did you look at our eco' home pic's at all?

i think the sorta outhouse is shown, you could create a doorway and then stairs all enclosed to the loo so it isn't realy a treck in all sorts of weather fighting off snakes & croc's to use it hey lol.

no holes to fill with water either, ours was the room with the extra view. bright and airy and all oronious odours that may be are well outside the living area, simple hey. and should you sell and the new owners want to they can easily dissmantle it. all up i reckon it could still come in cheaper that that other system.

me i don't go for the "yuk we can't have that factor" (got a wee bucket in our ensuite), i go for what is needed to be done, that is making use of resources and managing resources. when i can do something for a commode seat i will use one of the bucket systems out of humanure and set it up with a screen out on the side patio, would like to have money for the smaller n/l but!! well you never know hey?

len

19. openeyes

openeyes Junior Member

IT Consultant
    Climate:
    Temperate

Hi Deee,
    If you would like any more help please do PM me - although I am not really sure what that is - hope it doesnt hurt!
    Kindest Regards,
    Ross

20. urbanus

urbanus Junior Member

In researching toilet and wastewater option I came across some criticisms of the Dowmus (aka Dowmus Biolytix) system at https://dowmus.hinternet.com.au/index.php?sid=f5961552502cdac9e543a98dfc1f8a14. It seems that Biolytix is a phoenix company.

An interesting wastewater treatment system is the EcoNova NovaClear but could not find a council that had approved it https://www.econova.com.au/. It has an EPA approval with conditions including quarterly maintenance, half yearly washing, annual sampling and so on.

The dry composting toilets seem to be a choice between batch and continuous approaches with mostly favourable reviews. There seem to be a number widely approved commercial brands, curiously the majority are based out of Queensland. Most appear to be around the same price point.

Rotaloo https://www.rotaloo.com.au
    Clivus Multrum https://www.clivusmultrum.com.au
    Natureloo https://www.nature-loo.com.au
    Envirolet https://www.envirolet.com
    Biolet https://www.biolet.com

Then there are the DIY designs with worms, bugs, biota and various treatment systems.

All very confusing with an absence of independent testing. Caveat emptor.