Online PDC

Discussion in 'Jobs, projects, courses, training, WWOOFing, volun' started by Ludi, Dec 10, 2011.

1. NJNative

NJNative Junior Member

There are actually "official teachers", the same way classes can be certified as part of the PRI Master Plan. Wayne Weisman is one of the certified PRI teachers, and also gives an online class, so that is definitely an option.

Check out the "PRI Teacher" section (8th from the top), and also check out Wayne's website for info on his online class:

https://permacultureglobal.com/users/legend
    https://www.permacultureproject.com/services/design-certificate-course-online/

I'm sure there's other "official" teachers out there who teach online classes as well.

2. Pakanohida

Pakanohida Junior Member

Are you referring to the Master Plan or Permaculture Visions?

Permaculture Visions is an online 72 hour pdc with no short cuts.

3. Unmutual

Unmutual Junior Member

I'm just not sure how official the list is, or if a PRI PDC is more official than a regular PDC, etc. It is a great starting point, however. But again, I'm just not sure how official permaculture can or even should be. The important thing is that you actually learned everything you're supposed to learn.

A little bit of both. Yeah, I know, that probably wasn't helpful.

4. NJNative

NJNative Junior Member

I think it's as official as it can get at this point, as there is a vetting process, where you have to be independently certified to be a good teacher, but you're right, just because someone's not an "official" teacher doesn't mean that they're not legit, and the important thing in the end is that you learned all the information you were supposed to, which it seems many places out there are great in that regard. Perhaps down the line, places like permaculture visions and barking frogs will get their stuff certified, but until then, if you want an "official" class and/or teacher, there is a selection to choose from (21 teachers worldwide as of this date).

After your good reviews of it, I'm thinking of taking the Permaculture Visions class. You guys definitely think it's worth the money? How far along are you so far?

5. Unmutual

Unmutual Junior Member

Yes, so far I think it's worth it. I won't say I started out knowing everything permaculture, but I have read through most of the books and do a fair amount of research, plus visit these forums and others(though I prefer these forums) and this PDC still teaches me something new at every turn. I'm not that far along in it, I'm still only on the 3rd section of the first series. I hope to finish the PDC before I start my Environmental Study Coarse. I think if I stop fooling around in my own garden for a while, I can get the entire PDC done before the end of September. I'm also trying to do all the homework involved without skipping sections(which can end up being about 200 hours instead of 72, though you're only required to do one homework per section which you can choose from 5+ homework assignments).

April is listed as a PDC teacher on that website, just not a PRI PDC teacher. Since Australia's climate is very similar to my own(Lower/Coastal Louisiana), it seemed like a better fit than somewhere north of me, even if it's on the same continent. I think the closest PDC to me is in Arkansas, which doesn't really share my climate. There might be one(or more) in Texas, but I don't remember it being close enough to the gulf. Either way, it doesn't really matter because my job wouldn't allow me the luxury of going away for 2+ weeks.

6. dyllos

dyllos Junior Member

Hi Pakanohida and Unmutual - are you guys still doing the permaculturevisions course? or have you finished and gained your PDC ?

7. Unmutual

Unmutual Junior Member

Still working at it personally.

8. NGcomm

NGcomm Junior Member

9. Unmutual

Unmutual Junior Member

Well, I just sent in my final design *fingers crossed*.

I'll give Permaculture Visions the following recommendation:

If my daughter decides to learn more about Permaculture, she will be doing this course(which I will pay for). If anyone I know is under the same circumstances as a lot of folks(not enough time/money to take a hands-on PDC), I will fully recommend Permaculture Visions.

Everything is in PDF format, so it is portable among a number of devices(Besides my computer, I also used my Nook).

April will answer any questions and will also ask more questions in response to your homework answers. I've had at least one homework that turned in to a conversation.

I am extremely happy that the focus of the course was spread across the whole PDC curriculum, and not just focused on something like organic gardening.

I will give this advice:

Do all the homework assignments, even if you only turn in one per section. Feel free to turn them all in, April doesn't mind, in fact I think she likes it!

Be as thorough as possible and do a lot of research on your answers(while the solutions can be very simple, and usually are, the questions/problems generally aren't simple). I took homework that I thought I knew the answer to and found out that I didn't know the full story. Challenging yourself is just as important as being challenged by someone else.

I hope this helps.

10. CraigMackintosh

CraigMackintosh *****

You can search the www.permacultureglobal.com 'People' section, by filtering ("filter by type") to just 'PRI Teacher'. The results will be all the teachers that have been reviewed and accredited by the PRI to date.

11. Rick Larson

Rick Larson Junior Member

I took Geoff Lawtons Online Permaculture Design Course starting in May this year, going through the summer, and finished with the Earthworks Course a month ago, or so. The course ended with a test - not hard, but enough to get a sense the time was spent watching the online videos. Then I had to send in a design for approval. The design was approved immediately and I received a Geoff Lawton signed certificate a few weeks later. So now I am a bonifide Permaculture Consultant, and have been promoting Permaculture around the area, plus have been working my land into a frothy Permaculture frenzy!

Beforehand I have considered enrolling in other in-person courses, but the timing wasn't right in the few cases I considered it. When this online course was offered, it was an either now or never moment, so I enrolled. Best information I have ever been associated with.

Here is the video I responded to:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=maORQPbEwJM

Here is his website with a sign up box. During the course he said the next course will be on steriods!

https://www.geofflawton.com/sq/15449-geoff-lawton

Here is after the enrollment was completed:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1lcrrlQCoBc

12. pebble

pebble Junior Member

Climate:
    Inland maritime/hot/dry/frosty
    Unmutual just posted a link to this in another thread.

https://www.permaculturedesigntraining.com/

Larry Korn is the main teacher https://www.onestrawrevolution.net/One_Straw_Revolution/Larry_Korn.html

Would love to hear what PDC grads think of the course outline https://www.permaculturedesigntraining.com/course/fundamentals