online / E courses

Discussion in 'Jobs, projects, courses, training, WWOOFing, volun' started by Ellen, Nov 27, 2010.

1. Ellen

Ellen Junior Member

Hi everybody,

I'm looking for a good online permaculture design course, or anything else besides having to go to a course, as I'm staying in a very remote part of Africa....
    Anybody who can give advice please???

2. sun burn

sun burn Junior Member

If that doesn't exist you can learn a lot from library books/books and on this site. Also look about for permaculture blogs. Do you have land already?

3. Adam

Adam Junior Member

There is a free online 36-hour course out there that is floating around somewhere. Here is the link to the files over at the permies forum, but not all the links are working apparently. 36- hour course

4. Susan Girard

Susan Girard Junior Member

Try Permaculturevision.com they have Intro and PDC.
    : )

5. Ellen

Ellen Junior Member

Yes I do have land, a most beautiful piece of land, 2 hectares, on which is also a campsite, at the banks of the Okavango river in Namibia. The only problem is that for the past 2 years, it floods for about 4 weeks, and i think that washes the nutrients out of the soil! I never happened, but nowadays a lot of things happen that never happened before....

6. sun burn

sun burn Junior Member

Why do you think that the floods wash away the nutrients. Does the land not produce well? i thought that floods dumped high value silt. Hence the richness of the ganges river valley.

I think the thing is if your land is flat you gain; if its sloping you lose. That is you are on a flood plain you gain.

7. cassio

cassio Junior Member

Hi, Ellen.
    There is this series of pamphlets, based on the transcripts of a PDC given by Bill Mollison in 1981. I think it is a valuable resource, and totally free.
    Cheers,
    Cassio.

8. DonHansford

DonHansford Junior Member

It depends where you are in the scheme of things. At the bottom, or delta of the river, where it spreads out and slows down, you get lots of alluvial silt. If you are higher up the river, where the flow is strong, that's where the silt comes from.

The worrying thing is that Ellen says this land has never flooded before, but it has in the last two years.

Ellen, I realise there is probably a thousand miles of river above you, but is there anything you know of, in the last few years, that may have caused this flooding? How far upriver is this unusual flooding occurring? All the information I have seen regarding the Okavango, is about the delta area and the planned dam, but that would be a fair way downstream from you.

I am thinking large-scale deforestation, with it's attendant large-scale runoff as a likely cause.

What sort of depth and speed is the flooding?

9. Ellen

Ellen Junior Member

Thanks people. Don, the flooding starts of in Angola, on quite a distance from us. The past two years they had more rain than ever (global warming???). There system is not build on that and they had to open up sluices, which caused this flood. The water comes up with about 20 cm per 24 hour. Where my veggie patches are, the water is about knee high. And then in certain places the stream is strong, but not on my veggie patch. I also thought, like Sun Burn, that the flood would bring more fertility, but my veggies don't look like that!! I put compost and manure on the garden beds, but this manure and compost were also flooded, which might have washed out their nutrients. The soil looks nice, but doesn't seem to have much "plant food" in it! The produce looks very poor. Lately I got some fresher manure and made manure tea, which seems to help. The whole flooding thing is disappointing, as you feel you have to start all over again every time!