ok - it's time to organize

Discussion in 'General chat' started by murray, Aug 27, 2006.

1. Cornonthecob

Cornonthecob Junior Member

Would it be possible to archive threads into different sub folders say after a certain period of non use? Maybe archive them after two months of nothing being added.

That way you would have an active forum...with everything else being stored in it relevant (good luck to the person trying to work out where to put things!) folder type thingy.

Does that make sense?

:)

2. 9anda1f

9anda1f Administrator Staff Member

Climate:
    Semi-Arid Shrub Steppe (BsK)
    Simple Categories

Well, how about something really simple like:

Building

Cultivation

Animals

Gathering

Society

Natural Resources

What's missing? Does everything have a place?

9anda1f

3. murray

murray Junior Member

4. murray

murray Junior Member

after another 30 minutes combining and rewriting, here's what i have:

= House & Garden
    Vegies, herbs, crops, aquaculture, composting, irrigation, mulching, worm farming, controlling pests

= Building
    Houses, dams, fences, design ideas, maintenance,

= Animals
    Poultry, Pigs, Cattle, Fish, Bees, Goats, Sheep and Blue Spotted Skate Boarding Elephants. General care. Breeding…Food for…Housing…Uses… Vegetables, berries, chooks. From Farm to Dinner Plate…

= Gathering
    9anda1f, what the hell is this? :)

= Natural Resources
    Issues to do with Land. Oil. Water. Wind. Ethanol. Biomass. (Renewable) Energy. Conservation.

= Society
    Issues affecting the planet. Conspiracy theories too. :)

== Resources, links, books, sites, tours, lectures, TV shows
    stuff

== Permaculture gigs and jobs ==
    stuff

== Buy, Trade, Sell or Give away ==
    stuff

== Advertise PDCs ==
    stuff

== Plug your permie-friendly business here
    stuff

thoughts? ideas? whatever?

5. 9anda1f

Climate:
    :lol: Hi Murray,

In the "gathering" category, I was referring to those things we gather from the wild, such as wood/woodlot, naturally occurring mushrooms, berries, nuts, and fruits, stones, clay, fish, (hunted animals?), etc.

Does the category make sense?

9anda1f

6. gardenlen

gardenlen Group for banned users

g'day murray,

that international permy site talk about get lost before you know where to start, that classiacl case of waht happens when KISS gets lost.

now for yoiur ideas:

i reckon you could get away with combining these 2:

= House & Garden
    Vegies, herbs, crops, aquaculture, composting, irrigation, mulching, worm farming, controlling pests

= Building
    Houses, dams, fences, design ideas, maintenance,

??

then the rest for me leave pretty much stat' unless others have some ideas in those departments

len

7. Ramon

Ramon Junior Member

Hi Murry,
    A couple of comments:
    Your "House and garden" doesn't match the list of things below it. I suggested "plants and planting", but you could consider "growing stuff" and "building stuff" as alternatives Of just drop "house" since house to me suggests building.
    Gathering/forraging is cool, I'd like to see some entries there. This is an example where the heading might give people ideas.
    I'd call "Natural Resources" "Natural Resources & energy" even though the list of topics makes it clear
    Finally - Before you implement it, do go through a few pages of entries and keep a tally of where each would be assigned. There's no point in having a lot of empty areas (like that dead site you pointed to) and it would be a shame to have a really overweight topic (eg garden and composting&mulch might be big since compost/mulsh comes up regularly). If you split that, you could consider merging Permaculture gigs and jobs, Advertise PDCs and Plug your permie-friendly business here to keep the count down initially as these are less likely to create amimated discussions. Let's face it, if people realize that a forum only has one new entry a week then they won't look at it. Definately a case of less is more.

All comments just suggestions, you've got more experience at running a good forum than any of us, so go for it.

8. Richard on Maui

Richard on Maui Junior Member

Corny's idea of having a open forum with archives is kinda cool, but do you close a topic to archive it, or does it live in both places at once?

9. permaculture.biz

permaculture.biz Junior Member

https://cli.re/RWPlace
    Home Page:
    Climate:
    Global
    G'day,

I would suggest that you shouldn't fix what isn't broken. A bit of maintenance is what is required. Breaking things down into the fractal minutae some have suggested would be diabolical. I personally like the current format. A quick click or scroll and you have got things covered. For me the current format works really well. Apply permaculture thinking to the management of the site. Its gone thru the successions to my mind and is now pretty self regulating, though Murray is the only manager, which may need to change as it has from time to time when a "tree falls down" or a new "edge" has been created, there has been a "disease" or a new "predator" has moved in.

Obviously I should get some sleep,

Ciao,

Daz

10. murray

murray Junior Member

hey mate,

>I would suggest that you shouldn't fix what isn't broken.

i am starting to believe that it *is* broken, if only just a tiny bit. the traffic would only needs to increase an extra 20 or 30% over what it is now before a day's single thread would be ridiculuously long.

another thought - if we could only add ONE more subforum to the mix, what would it be?

n,

11. Jez

Jez Junior Member

Well, as I said, I'm with Daz on this Murray FWIW...keep the forum the way it is. Having said that, it's your place to organise how you choose and I'm just chipping in because you asked for feedback...not to irritate you or put down the idea.

The latest topics list you've made works out like the Zones IMO...there's heaps of crossovers where you think things like "hmmm, should I be asking a question/looking in the 'House & Garden', the 'Building', the 'Natural Resources' or the 'links' sub-forum for info about aquaculture in my dam/lake?' I could offer up another dozen or more crossovers, not to object to your listings, but just to highlight probable confusion however the topics are broken down. There is no 'right way' to do it IMO.

PDC's have a lot of different modules and sub-modules, which in the end are all related in some way anyhow and are often taught that way.

It's also probably worth adding...by splitting things up and ultimately no doubt confusing people wanting to post a question about where they are supposed to put it, you'll more than likely create a rod for your back having to make decisions about whether the post is in the 'right' place (and in many cases inevitable crossovers will mean it's at least 'part right'), then having to move it if it's not.

ALS has a ridiculous number of sub-forums (the entirety of which could and IMO should be put under the simple heading 'Permaculture'...including the whole premise of 'living simply'), but that functions ok because whichever sub-forum has been last posted on, that topic gets put onto a collated main page of most recent posts in various sub-forums.

If you're determined to break the board up into further sections, I'd suggest that the above method of bringing some degree of sanity to sub-division madness does work alright...though topics really start to slip through the cracks if they get off that 'most recent post' main page quick enough...which IMO is a failing in that method for the less frequent visitors and those who don't have the time or energy to hunt through all the different sub-forums.

Anyway Murray, good luck with it all. :)

12. Jez

Jez Junior Member

Sorry Murray, I missed your last post.

Is there any difference between having another sub-forum with the posts which would have been on the main page there instead?

Still the same amount to read if you want to read all of the new posts...

13. murray

murray Junior Member

all good points.

it seems that subforums help newcomers more than the established members in the sense that established members like the flow of conversation, but newcomers would prefer to easily see where to go to find the information they're looking for.

so having said that, maybe what we need is to establish a FAQ subforum so people can go straight there for all the collected wisdom of the crowd, instead of asking the same questions over and over. (yes, i would need help to collate and edit the FAQ articles, so if anyone's interested... ?)

it could reduce the traffic in the main forum, and increase the value of the forum in general to more people.

just an idea.

14. gardenlen

gardenlen Group for banned users

g'day murray,

not sure about faq's when i wa a new comer can't rememebr if i saught out and faq? maybe i did but found them an unwieldy type way of getting an answer, like help they so far over the years haven't helped me. i've been to a few of late hoping for a quick answer to what seems like a commonish problems, i've never gotten help from help either. we might put a certain heading but a new person may not see that heading as providing the answer they need?

then i wonder if you created the ultimate faq, the need for posts could fall away to who knows? and those of us who are here offering our assistance might then be affected in our attendence.

the way i see a forum is to encourage new subscribers, and then to ecourage them to post and ask questions, not to lurk. what is the current membership now? 500+ not sure? how many of those have never posted, the way i see it the thing that keeps forums viable is chat mainly it should be on topic chat but then that is wher the need for sub forums comes in. i would think someone new into permaculture might have a number of questions they need answers to?

so here in permaculture maybe what a newby is looking to see right up front is lots of permaculture type chat, so maybe they'll be inspired to throw their hat in the ring?

just as an objective observation over the past period we seem to have a lot of waffle over the fence type chat (no insult intended), we all get involved at times, so maybe this over the back fence stuff should be away on its own, this is the realy not on topic type stuff, hope i explained theat right? the way i see it this type of chat could seem daunting to a newer poster.

just me thinking out loud murray, setting up the pefect forum can't be easy.

but in all my years at least i have never gotten what i need from an faq just like when a program plays up i've never gotten help from help, i've always needed to go find a forum and ask the question.

len

15. 9anda1f

Climate:
    Lots of good perspectives in this thread!

In looking through the posts in the folder, perhaps there are three main categories of interest?

Grown things - encompasses plants, veggies, trees, chooks, livestock, aquaculture, composting, food preparations and storage, ...

Built things - homes, electricity, watering systems, fences, pens, coops, dams, ...

Worldview things - political, natural resources, social, psychological, spiritual, courses/learning, ...

I think that posts falling out of "category" occasionally is ok. There are posts for positions wanted in the "chat" folder now...no real harm done...maybe they could be gently redirected? There are posts that may span multiple categories...again ok. There's no reason for this forum to be rigid and absolute, is there? Posts and threads that meander around and cover many topics that could span the categories...sure, why not? I'm sure this will be a learning experience for all of us!

I guess that I'm wondering if adding a minimum of new categories might be the least confusing while still providing some logical alternatives to just one "chat" folder?

I did like Murray's original idea of Permaculture zones...just because it was a little difficult and would cause some thought. Kind of a way to reinforce the basic design concepts, explore their meaning in our thoughts, questions, and answers, and to help incorporate them into our daily practice. I can also understand a gradual approach to expanding the categories, keeping it simple and useful at the same time. I guess that I'm thinking a phased approach to this might be the most acceptable to the most people here and newcomers while still providing some relief to the one "chat" folder we're in now.

Just more thoughts! This is a very interesting thread! :)

9anda1f

16. Cornonthecob

Cornonthecob Junior Member

I'll throw my hand up to help...I have a fair bit of time most days to pop into the forum and read the latest threads/replies.

However.....I'm not the cleverest bloke when it comes to computers. So if it's something simple(ish) am quite happy to help in any way.

17. ho-hum

ho-hum New Member

Hey is this new look forum gonna have a bar or a bong room?

[Tezza pm'ed me to asked me to check!!!]

:shock: :D

floot

18. murray

murray Junior Member

so what do people think of 9anda1f's idea?
    i quite like it - kinda like an animal, vegetable, mineral of permaculture. ;)

and yes - we could leave this thread as tezza's backyard banter & bong area. :lol:

19. RobWindt

RobWindt Junior Member

Grown things: encompasses plants, veggies, trees, chooks, livestock, aquaculture, composting, food preparations and storage, ...

Built things: homes, electricity, watering systems, fences, pens, coops, dams, ...

Worldview things: political, natural resources, social, psychological, spiritual, courses/learning, ...

Nice n simple, it gets my vote
    Rob

20. grease

grease Junior Member

For my two cents worth, if it aint broke don't fix it. I understand the desire to make things better but if it works then why change , you only end up having a modified system that needs 'refining'. This system works well. If there is an increase in traffic after a bit of an exodis then thats all part of the cycle. Better to exclude the spam than try to change this forum :)