Oil peak lastest

Discussion in 'The big picture' started by bazman, Nov 22, 2005.

1. Peter Clements

Peter Clements Junior Member

Once oil hits A$3 a litre it wont take much to scare people into supporting nuclear energy. The hydrogen economy really is just around the corner, and will initially be sold as green/CO2-free energy- global warming is pretty much accepted these days. At a later date it will be explained that demand for electricity to create the hydrogen is outstripping supply, and nuclear offers a quick fix to continue business as usual.

2. heuristics

heuristics Junior Member

Oil peak latest

Tipping Point : I remember because I thought it was clever and thought I might like to pinch it one day – but thought I better not on this forum without due credit!

3. Douglas J.E. Barnes

Douglas J.E. Barnes Junior Member

Nuclear. Bah. Wind is far cheaper and more effective and quicker to establish, which of course means that they'll choose nuclear.

4. Douglas J.E. Barnes

Douglas J.E. Barnes Junior Member

Re: Oil peak latest

Well, that settles it. I am losing my mind. It's always the last place you look...

5. bjgnome

bjgnome Junior Member

Yes, Murray, you are right. There is that thing about population growth, and developing economies. I guess what I ought to have said is our global economy must expand exponentially or the whole thing collapses. WE ARE DOOMED!!

The 2% figure I just made up. The point I wanted to make, though I think is important, that supply is not going to plummet, but rather supply is going to shrink somewhat while demand explodes skyward.

Jonathan

6. heuristics

heuristics Junior Member

Latest on Peak Oil

Yeah, and now Johnny's had a flying top-secret visit to Afghanistan (Nov 22) and is keen to send 200 MORE troops. :evil: :evil:

7. Peter Clements

Peter Clements Junior Member

Doug, another way of looking at the nuclear vs wind power issue is to see it as centralized vs decentralized energy production, and follow the argument from there...

8. Richard on Maui

Richard on Maui Junior Member

murray, just how much coffee are we talking about? 8)

9. Dani

Dani Junior Member

I think the change will be much easier if you are already doing alot to lessen your dependence on oil and associated products.

We (usually) ride our bikes to do our shopping, Cary built a trailer out of old bike frames and that holds about a weeks worth of shopping, and we never drive short distances; and even for longer distances if we can we usually ride and catch trains with our bikes. We are about to build a tandem recumbent trike that will be heaps of fun, and handy for transport :D I know bikes still have rubber bits etc, but use much less than a car.

https://www.greenspeed.com.au/GTT-Ersidef768.jpg

I think one way to ensure the use of wind and solar power etc is to set your own systems up (not always easy I know). Also is good to be a scruge with using power, we got a power meter and went around the house seeing how much power things use, we were surprised by how much some of the appliances use on standby mode, so we turn most things off at the powerpoint now and dont leave chargers plugged in has made a significant difference to our ever rising bill.

And prolly most people hear have already started atleast the whole food bit.

10. Cornonthecob

Cornonthecob Junior Member

I had a look at our last gas and electrical bills....we use just under $6 a week!

Adds up!

:(

11. Dani

Dani Junior Member

I think one of the good things might be, but may not actually happen is: to be better than we are now, but also better than we have been in the past. For example, cooking, most ppl. in our society prolly use gas or electic stoves for cooking which have some very bad effects, in the past more wood stoves were used, but these are also very polluting, esp. if everyone is out collecting fire wood, so maybe in the future(now) more passive heating/cooling, and things like solar oven (which i know would take a fair bit to get used to and have their limitations, but thats just one small example. This is my hope anyway, to use knowledge from the the past and the present to make a better future.

12. barely run

barely run Junior Member

Plan on a couple Tea plants next year....can't grow coffee here so will have to barter with the tropics for that...that is if the internet survives!!
    The oil bit we are addressing next year...seriously look into a small bio diesal plant as we can grow heaps canola (rape seed for non aussies)
    About stock piling...I know it's a survivalist thing...but is stockpiling a viable activity and when do you start it....I know the mennonite/morman types in USA say you should have 6mths of staples and canned produce in your pantry. When I lived in isolated areas in western QLD years ago we routinly could go without food supplies (not fresh) for a month. Stocked powered milk, dreid veges etc as well as rice/pasta. If the big crash happens and I have stuff stockplied will that just make me a target for looters?? not sure I could use lethal force to defend my fodd stocks...although my husband would I'm sure. I would also want to share anything I have with others...so when is enough enough.
    Well it all a bit daunting....will go plant a tree to make me feel brighter.
    Cathy

13. baleboy

baleboy Junior Member

it is kinda exciting isnt it

i get this adrenaline-ish feeling just thinking that we might be forced to change

thinking about survival

survival...... not a word used very often

i think it is funny that we have a show called survivor where we watch people back stab and compete with each other there isnt an ounce of cooperatio in that show

i often wonder what will happen as i lie in bed awake before i get up

i think we will do anything to keep the status quo it is hard enough for one person to change let alone a planet

nuclear and who know s what will come first

it will happpen and we know it

this might give some hope for a while but then what ... will i be there to see it

will millions slowly die (or quickly)

i am so used to watching movies that it is hard to imagine

like september 11 i watched it over and over just to restrain my denial that wanted it to think it was just more special effects

denial is powerful in all of us

even us permies

i mean i grow a lot of my own food on my suburban block but i dont have the skills to feed myself a balanced diet here

i live pretty cheaply like many of you im sure ... but like many of you i save a lot of my money by using the spoils of the consumers

what happens when the majority have to live like this ???

when we cant load up traile loads of mulch from the road side

or get fish and chip oil fr the car because everyone else wants it

it will be hard for all of us i think especially if we want to care for our neigbours and those that are struggling.... maybe permies will be the next salvation army .... feeding the hungry rich people and teaching them how to raise chickens

i like that idea

the permy army

well that was a ramble

thanks for your thought all

oh btw do you think that we will all still be able to communicate by pidgeon ?????

i wuld like that

14. bazman

bazman Junior Member

15. heuristics

heuristics Junior Member

oil peak latest

But didnt you just LOVE the ESSO (exxon) guy in Melb, patiently explaining to the idiot reporter how Peak Oil is AT LEAST 30 years away, maybe more!!

yeah, good program. Not much new in it for most of the people on this board, but interesting all the same.