off topic again : musical tastes...

Discussion in 'General chat' started by devinp, Nov 26, 2005.

1. wwoofertobe

wwoofertobe Junior Member

hey fran, i thought since you're into metal you'd probably dig hardcore, have you heard any? some melbourne bands like one inch punch are cool i think they're called mid youth crisis now, my disco, the nation blue are some others...
    half the bands sound like full ball metal bands except sometimes they're not singing so much about demons and angels of death (sorry thats all i've heard 'em sing about :twisted: ) but more world/social politics.
    i'm pretty sure theres a thriving local scene in vic.

2. Richard on Maui

Richard on Maui Junior Member

heysuess, I just noticed your into all that great 80's new zealand stuff. and you live in Melbourne... who are you? :lol: do you ever go see the new estate, or bands like that? any of that chapter music type stuff? you're not from Perth originally are you? Perth had the biggest following of post-VU jangly guitar bands I've ever been fortune enough to rub shoulders with. oh, what about the 3D's? tall dwarfs?

3. seussrules

seussrules Junior Member

Richard

Jangly guitar sounds rock (or pop?)! Not from Perth - Sydney originally, where virtually all Flying Nun bands were revered by anyone with taste :lol: Loved the 3Ds (Hey Seuss and all that). Tall Dwarves one of my lesser faves. Also loved Jean Paul Sartre Experience (was a sad groupie and used to follow them 'round to all their gigs and try to strike up witty conversations about the cricket and stuff.... :? ).

4. Tamandco

Tamandco Junior Member

I've only just skimmed over this thread but thought I'd add my bit of diverse taste too.

My all time favorite would have to be shared by Dire Straits and ACDC. Queen's up there, then it starts to get really diverse.

I love the following:

Slim Dusty (brought tears to my eyes singing Walzing Matilda at the closing ceremony.
    John Farnham Absolutely love him. Great bloke, loves horses, good family man, fairdinkum aussie bloke (pommy born) that hasn't allowed fame to go to his head.
    Crowded House - Great!
    Aerosmith - Yay!
    Van Halen (!!!) and whilst on that subject,
    David Lee Roth
    Anything by Mark Knopfler whether with DS or not
    and whilst on the subject, Chet Atkins
    REM
    Stuff I've got and like:
    Billy Idol
    Bob Dylan
    ELOElton John
    MeatloafThe Sweet
    Hoodoo Gurus
    Hunters & Collectors (!!!)
    John Williamson
    Things of Stone and Wood
    Paul Simon
    The Wiggles
    Eagles (!!!)
    Eurythmics
    John Mellencamp
    Kiss - Oh yeah!
    Led Zeppelin (!!!)
    Status Quo
    INXS (& Max Q)
    The Beatles
    and whilst on that subject
    of course John Lennon
    Hootie & the Blowfish *
    Counting Crows *
    Van Morrison
    Johnny Cash
    The Whitlams
    Yothu Yindi ***
    and for a bit of partying
    Blondie
    Rolf Harris
    Michael Jackson
    The Village People
    Angels

I also like most types of Jazz and frequent the Jazz festivals when I can afford it. Also like Bluegrass and really starting to like Country, something I'd never warmed to before.

Things I hate:

Hip Hop
    Dance stuff
    Rap

That's about it I think.

5. Tezza

Tezza Junior Member

Ooops how can i forget John Lennon he was brilliant......A legend of legends
    ....Shame some wanker killed him ...hear hes trying to get out on parole
    Imagine,working class hero,God,Jelous guy.the list is endless..

Midnight Oil great sound great songs.Mettalica. nothing else matters.Love playing that song on my guitars....da dada da da da da da duh duh dudda

Music Soothes the savage beast they say.................

Love Live Music Saw Pink Floyd in west oz in 88.......Status quo even Alice cooper.wellcome to his nightmare..lol

Bee Gees but hate their Disco stuff.......Word Is absolutly Brilliant simple but an alltime classic

Tezza