Observations from a heat wave

Discussion in 'Planting, growing, nurturing Plants' started by mouseinthehouse, Jan 15, 2014.

1. helenlee

helenlee Junior Member

Yeah I read that on wikipedia. Jerry built was what I was thinking of (& the things I make are jerry built!) but I still reckon I've never heard the expression "jury rigged", which is odd because I love language & love reading too. I think I may have just assumed people were saying jerry not jury, but that doesn't explain not having read it .... hm.

2. mouseinthehouse

mouseinthehouse Junior Member

Obviously not a Patrick O'Brian fan then lol!

3. helenlee

helenlee Junior Member

No ... I'm embarrassed to admit I'd never heard of him. While I love to read I'm not very widely read, & my tastes are probably unsophisticated & a bit weird, rather like the rest of me ... lol ... :)
    My favourite novels are To Kill a Mocking Bird (Harper Lee) & The Good Earth (Pearl Buck) ... I also loved the Bony series by Arthur Upfield ... Dusty (Frank Dalby Davison) & several of Colleen McCulloughs novels.
    Hm .. what else .. Love in the Time of Cholera (Gabriel Garcia Marquez) ... Illywhacker (Peter Carey) The Shiralee ( D'Arcy Niland) ... several female writers whose names are not springing to mind in my afternoon stupor :)

4. Tildesam

Tildesam Junior Member

Web Developer
    Home Page:
    Climate:
    Warm Temperate (Diggers Cold Zone 10, Hot Zone 4-6)
    How exciting - that you have proof now that the right technique can help against some pretty harsh weather - that bodes well if climate change wreaks havoc with the temperatures.

I wonder if similar techniques would be efficient in protecting against frost.. that's the stuff I will struggle against I think.

5. mouseinthehouse

mouseinthehouse Junior Member

Yes, we struggle with frost here too. We get very late frosts sometimes and so far we really haven't had much success countering it. I've tried a few things like putting tyres and rock cairns around tender plants but to no avail. We end up having to plant very late in spring and it makes the growing season much shorter. I'm more inclined now to just limit ourself to certain vegies, herbs etc that can survive heat and frost rather than faffing about with stuff that is too much trouble. Trial and error I guess to find what suits our climate and even our micro climate areas of the garden. It's all good fun though!