Obamacare Calculator

Discussion in 'News from around the damp planet' started by Rick Larson, Oct 5, 2013.

1. Rick Larson

Rick Larson Junior Member

2. mouseinthehouse

mouseinthehouse Junior Member

Whoa!!!!! I put in our details with the US average option instead of a state and our income in US dollar equivalent. $395 a month for a Silver level policy. There is no way we could afford that.

I have no idea how much private health care cover is in Australia? Maybe that is not outrageously expensive? We rely on Medicare and although it is not perfect by any means it is pretty good. My brother in law just underwent 6 months of cutting edge oncology treatment for Non-Hodgkins Lymphoma, overseen by a professor and a small army of highly trained professionals. He walked away from it without having paid a cent.

3. eco4560

eco4560 New Member

I pay $290 a month (nonsmoker, family, top hospital cover + extras) for private health in Australia. I put my details in to the calculator and it came up with $7022 a year - $585 a month! Way too expensive!

4. Pakanohida

Pakanohida Junior Member

Hmm, I did notice this:

Preventive services will be covered with no cost sharing required.

I wonder if that includes things like acupuncture.

5. ecodharmamark

ecodharmamark Junior Member

'US Amish community unconcerned over Obamacare debate that led to government shutdown'

The debate over United States healthcare reform may have led to a government shutdown, but it is of small concern in rural Pennsylvania's Amish country.

Along with eschewing cars and many other modern technologies, the descendants of 18th century German immigrants who practice the Amish and Old Order Mennonite religions have effectively opted out of Obamacare.

A little-known provision of the law exempts Amish communities from the individual mandate, an element of the Affordable Care Act that requires most Americans to purchase some form of health insurance.

However it is not the idea of health insurance the Amish reject, but rather the close-knit communities would prefer to insure themselves.

Full article: ABC News, Sunday 6 October, 2013