NSW rainforest retreat for sale

Discussion in 'Buy, sell, trade, give away & exchange' started by Stripey, Feb 19, 2009.

1. Stripey

Stripey Junior Member

We have a two-home 63 acre property, most of which is natural rainforest (including a closed canopy palm tree forest). About 14 acres is cleared but hilly, and we use it to run a small group of belted galloways, largely organically. No spray, millions of frogs, many fruit trees (mangoes, Australian bush tucker trees, tamarillos, macadamias, citrus, you name it), all planted within easy reach for home use. Because of the many frogs and rich rainforest ecosystem, we have no major problem with pests on the vege garden or trees.
    Crossmaglen is a small, lush, fertile dairy/beef/lifestyler valley about 15 minutes from Coffs Harbour airport and 10 minutes from Sawtell beaches and major shops. There is a one-room school with a great reputation just a few kilometres from the property, and access to the property from the main road is via a right-of-way, and most of the right-of-way is either tarred or concreted (we come in and out in a Pulsar). There is also a short back route to Bellingen via a usable driveway through the forest (our private use only, at least till the boundary!). State forest forms the rear and partial side boundary, and about a quarter to a third of the property is zoned 7A (environmental protection), while the rest is 1A (agricultural). The closest neighbouring block is shielded from ours by a similar 7A zone, so privacy from that quarter is protected.
    The property is home to ranging koalas, lyrebirds, bowerbirds, fruit doves, lace monitors, geckoes and so forth. A mountainside inhibits main valley agriculture (of which there is almost no banana cultivation, and mainly grazing or orchardry) from affecting our runoff, and we have a large dam and endless drinkable water via a bore and rainwater tank. The rainfall here is so high we don't need the dam (its main purpose is fish/yabbies/recreation).
    Set about 400 metres away from the first house, and in complete visual and aural privacy from it, the property's second 3-bedroom house (which is unapproved except as a shed, but its septic and wet areas are approved) is in a valley of its own with views almost to the sea across lush rolling hills and scarcely another house in sight for kilometres. The first house (double brick, also 3-bedroom) has lovely views across a large neighbour's dam to the main valley and deep blue hills. Both houses are small but cosy, and the second house has enormous decks and a slow combustion stove used only for the coolest weeks of our temperate winters (Sawtell, incidentally, has the CSIRO's ideal climate award).
    Edited to correct listing:
    You can look at numerous photos of the property on realestate.com.au (listed under rural at 'Bonville'). The property is listed for $565K, as we are moving south for work and other reasons.
    There are few properties with as much privacy and yet such closeness to services as this one, but we are what agents call 'motivated vendors', and would be happy to show people through.

2. quillian

quillian New Member

Re: NSW rainforest retreat for sale

Stripey,

Like to know more.

A bit above our budget (we sold 454 acres up your way for $315K 18 months ago and the bugger hasn't paid it all) but the sort of place we are looking for.

Please email detail and photos and exact location or google map ref. to [email protected]

Thanks,

Ian

3. robinsb

robinsb New Member

Dear Stripey

As I an has requested so do I Please email detail and photos and exact location or google map ref. to [email protected] many thanks bruce

4. Stripey

Stripey Junior Member

Just an apology to both of you — I didn't know replies here aren't automatically notified to me, and it's been a while since I checked the board.
    We've accepted an offer on the block — such a shame I didn't see these, as it was a low offer.
    :(
    Bird in the hand and all that.

5. Michaelangelica

Michaelangelica Junior Member

Let that be a warning to all newbies.
    You have to set your notifications on your personal preferences page so that you can get a message/email notification whenever there is a post on a thread you are watching.

6. Stripey

Stripey Junior Member

Gotcha. Bigtime. :D
    Actually, for anyone interested, there may be a glitch with the purchasers' finance. Just found that out yesterday.
    Ho hum!
    We'll know on Monday whether they're actually going ahead or just playing.

7. sami

sami Junior Member

Hi, is the property still up for sale?
    I looked on the site you said, and didn't see it there...

8. Stripey

Stripey Junior Member

Sorry about that — the ad is now up on realestate.com.au.
    Search under 'Bonville', not 'Coffs Harbour'. There should be quite a few photos there, and of course I've got more up my sleeve.
    cheers
    Jennie

9. Stripey

Stripey Junior Member

Hi again — this property is now back on the market. The buyers (who kept stringing us along for the entire month) haven't been able to organise finance. This is upsetting as we'd fended off three other interested parties in the meantime.
    The DP number for anyone who wants a closer look through the Dept of Lands website is 857716.
    cheers
    Also edited to add: If you're looking for it on realestate.com.au, look under 'rural' at Bonville.

10. sami

sami Junior Member

Hello there
    Is this still up for sale?
    I looked again and couldn't find it
    Can you please post the actual link of the page? That will be easiest!!
    Regards, Samantha

11. Stripey

Stripey Junior Member

Hi Samantha, sorry about the access trouble. Try this:
    https://www.realestate.com.au/cgi-bin/rs ... t=rur&q=Go
    The property is fourth down the list. It's actually at Crossmaglen, not Bonville, and the photo on the ad shows the access road — that part isn't on the block. The real estate agent handling all this is Crown Property Sales, Coffs and Urunga.
    Mind you, I got the acreage wrong in my ad here, it's 60 and a bit, not 63 acres.
    We've had some interest from a guy who wants to market garden and cut timber out of the forest... :axe: (Wow, never thought I'd use that smilie!)
    Best wishes,
    Jennie