Nitrogen fixing vines (climbers)

Discussion in 'Planting, growing, nurturing Plants' started by Lantis, Jan 22, 2016.

1. Lantis

Lantis New Member

Climate:
    Slovakia, northern moderate zone
    Hello!

So I'm fairly new to all this but really excited to finally find something meaningful in my life. I did some research about nitrogen fixing plants, found out that not all n-fixing plants are created equal (some fix more nitrogen than others) and also found out that there are some n-fixing climbers that could grow in my climate (Slovakia, central Europe). These are:

Groundnut, Apios americana, Zone 3 (M) - edible
    Price's Groundnut, Apios priceana, Zone 6 - edible
    Beach Pea, Lathyrus japonicus maritimus, Zone 3b-7 (M)
    Earth-Nut Pea, Lathyrus tuberosus, Zone 6b (M) - edible
    Tufted Vetch, Vicia cracca, Zone 6 (M)
    American Wisteria, Wisteria frutescens, Zone 5 (M)
    Kudzu, Pueraria montana lobata, Zone 5-9 (H) - edible
    Lathyrus littoralis (M)
    Lathyrus polyphyllus (M)

H - high n-fixer
    M - medium n-fixer

My question is, how would you best put them to work? Where would you place them? Is it OK, to plant them near fruit trees and nut trees or should I just utilize them as a living walls? I think the idea of having a nitrogen fixing plant providing nitrogen for the tree it is growing on is great, especially if it isn't taking up too much space on the ground and what more - is edible! Do you have any experience with these plants? If so, please share your wisdom.

Thank you very much!

2. Bryant RedHawk

Bryant RedHawk Junior Member

Arkansas Senior Appraiser
    Climate:
    USDA zone 7b,8a.
    We have taken the approach of not planting anything that does not give us something edible in return for use of the space needed.

Kudzu is very, very invasive, it grows at a phenomenal rate (I've seen it grow up to five feet in a single year). I would limit plantings of this tasty green (leaves can be cooked just like other greens) to a space you wouldn't need for other items. Harvest it heavily and you can keep the growth under control.

The thing about planting any vines around fruit or nut trees is that they will tend to girdle the trees they grow next to. This means a lot of maintenance to keep the vine from killing the tree. It is preferable to utilize vines in areas you don't have to constantly maintain. When any vine gets up into a tree's canopy, the tree will loose leaves and the branches with vine on them could be in danger of dying, this is not so healthy for the tree.

We spent a lot of time digging out some vines that were killing some of our oak trees (every one has recovered and doing much better now that we have the vines under control) we do not let vines grow up a tree further than we can reach with feet on the ground. In the USA, Wisteria kills a lot of trees by girdling the trunk, it also grows up telephone poles to the extent that the electric company has to cut it down and remove it completely. It does make a wonderful covering for a pergola however.

For me, the best use is as living fencing or living walls, this way I am not worried about any vine killing something I am growing for the purpose of food supply.

3. Lantis

Lantis New Member

Climate:
    Slovakia, northern moderate zone
    Thank you for the answer. I was also thinking about letting the vines grow only as far as I can reach them. I will make some research about the danger these plants could pose to the trees as you've mentioned. I wasn't aware of that. Kudzu sounds like a good N-fixer and mulching plant, if it really grows as fast as you say. Thank you again!

4. Pakanohida

Pakanohida Junior Member

Missed one, Wisteria.

Kudzu is on the invasive species list in many areas since it can grow FEET PER DAY. It is literally destroying infrastructure in some communities.

Bryant RedHawk likes this.
  5. Bryant RedHawk

Bryant RedHawk Junior Member

Arkansas Senior Appraiser
    Climate:
    USDA zone 7b,8a.
    You're right pakanohida, I just talked to a friend who lives in Mississippi and he has pictures of a kudzu covering a one acre hill in one year. I've not seen the stuff grow that fast in person (the ones here I know of are in almost full shade most of the day) but his photo documentation would indicate a single kudzu growing at a rate of five feet in 48 hours. I am really glad it is a good green to eat, it would seem the only way to keep kudzu in control would be goats, pigs and humans, all using it for a food source. I may get a single sprig to try as a fodder source for our hogs but I will need to make sure it is planted in partial shade so it won't grow as fast as the one he documented, which was in full sun.

Wisteria is a pretty cool vine plant, I've trained some in the past to be shrubs by heavy pruning. I've also trained them to be the covering for garden pergolas. It is a vine you have to prune similar to English Ivy (at least yearly) or it will grow out of control.