Nitrogen Fixing in Acacias and tree lucerne

Discussion in 'Planting, growing, nurturing Plants' started by lockycturn, Oct 28, 2014.

1. lockycturn

lockycturn Junior Member

I have planted acacias and tree Lucerne in the beginnings of my food forest as foundation species. Some of the acacias were from a nursery and some I purchased on line along with tagasaste on line. All purchased as seedlings. Some looked like they were propagated from cuttings especially the tagasaste, the ones from the nursery all look like they have been grown true. Will they all form rhizobium nodules on their roots as a matter of course, as this is part of the function that they are there for.

2. 9anda1f

9anda1f Administrator Staff Member

Climate:
    Semi-Arid Shrub Steppe (BsK)
    Were they inoculated with the appropriate bacteria? I've recently discovered that without the relevant bacteria either already in the ground where you're planting or applied by inoculant, there will be no nitrogen fixing going on.

3. S.O.P

S.O.P Moderator

https://forums.permaculturenews.org...-Tipu-Crotalaria&p=94337&viewfull=1#post94337

Yes, there can be with pre-existing bacteria. Just not as "potentially" efficient.

4. yannick srodawa-wenger

yannick srodawa-wenger Junior Member

from my experience soil type is important: i have planted nitrogen fixers such as leucaena, acacia, casuarina with little nitrogen fixingas a result because the soil is extremely sandy (over 90%) here and the bacteria simply fall through the big sand particles.