New to roosters

Discussion in 'Planting, growing, nurturing Plants' started by Ryan, Aug 17, 2007.

1. Ryan

Ryan Junior Member

This is worth a shot as I know so many of you are knowledgable about chooks.

We have 10 plump laying hens, mostly New Hampshire Reds that are apporox. 3 yrs old. Since they are getting on in years, I would like to breed them to produce more egglayers. But we have had no male around.

While working at a house near a lake, I came across a young stray rooster. He was either left there to be gator food or he escaped. I was told if we could catch him he was mine. So after quite a chase we caught him and brought him home. He is a handsome little guy with turquoise and blue feathers, orange hanckle and red and white tail. He just started crowing in the past week. I am pretty sure he is some sort of game fowl.
    For now he is in a 4x8 chicken tractor until I figure out what to do.

My question is, if he breeds with my girls is the cross going to give us productive egglayers or will they be birds that lay seldom and/or lay tiny eggs.

Another question, is this guy going to grow up and be a pain in the ass? I've read that roosters of all breeds can be violent at times, so are gamecocks more so, or are OK unless they are trained to fight or have another rooster in the yard? I just dont want to worry about being attacked when I walk in the chicken yard.

Any suggestion will help. Thanks, Ryan

2. Jackie K

Jackie K Junior Member

Hi Ryan,
    You will know more what size he will be later of course, but if you don't have another rooster available then give it a go. You just won't know what to expect, and if not up to expectations, very nice in the pot. Roosters generally only become aggressive when there is another rooster contesting ownership of hens, or if confined / bored for a long time. Of course the optimum would be a New Hampshire rooster.
    Have a look here :-

https://www.the-coop.org/cgi-bin/UBB/ultimatebb.cgi

But I'm sure there must be more
    Good Luck,
    Jackie K