New to permaculture

Discussion in 'General chat' started by marionh_au, Dec 28, 2007.

1. marionh_au

marionh_au Junior Member

Hello everyone! My husband Geoff and I have bought a property in the Gold Coast hinterland and are excited about changing the property from its rolling lawns to a permaculture property. We have had a permaculture consultant have a look and she has given us some ideas but I must say it's a bit daunting but I look forward to my Garden of Eden being developed over the years to come. :D

2. Tezza

Tezza Junior Member

Good luck to you both with your hopes and aspirations..

Never any shortage of experts in here ..

Just ask away

Tezza

3. grease

grease Junior Member

Permaculture is what you make it. The garden of eden was lost way back when we were kicked out of it. Common sense is what is needed. You can't do it on your own so look to your friends/fellow man to get where you want.

4. JoanVL

JoanVL Junior Member

Yes, you're right, it is what you make it. I guess I've always been 'green' since I was a little kid in industrial West Yorkshire. I loved my Dad's veggie garden, chooks, rabbits and the pig. I would go up Hopton Hill and look down on the Calder Valley and try to imagine it with a clean river and no mill chimneys spewing black smoke. (That has happened now). I would cry when they 'developed' my favourite meadows, and I loved cycling and Youth Hostelling in the Yorkshire Dales. My instinct was always to preserve and improve rather than replace buildings and other things.

Now that I'm not very well off, but still need to provide the best food possible for my husband who has multiple health problems, an organic garden using recycled everything is both a health imperative and an economic necessity. I scavenge materials, save seeds, make piles of compost to top up the hopeless rocky clay soil, and have various low-key reciprocal arrangements around the place. There's lots to learn, but I love it.

5. gardenlen

gardenlen Group for banned users

yes don't get caught up in the design aspect, keep it simple and use lots of common sense, all too easy realy.

the size of the land and what you hope from it need to be kept in play, you can't put say 40 acres of dreams into 1 acre say. before you think big grazers work out the grazing acreage rate they may need.

len

6. marionh_au

marionh_au Junior Member

Thanks everyone for the welcome. We plan to move in and sit for a bit and try to get the feel of the place, although we have been discussing putting in some compost bays to get us started. We will also look around the area for other folk interested in permaculture. Thanks again. And Joan, I bet you have a cute accent coming from Yorkshire. I was born in Nottingham and came here in 1965 with my parents - still got a bit of the accent though. :D

7. JoanVL

JoanVL Junior Member

Oh yes - my accent is still the same as when I lived there - but I did marry a Batley lad!! Nottingham has a very similar accent - hang on to it - it's worth preserving!

8. PDB

PDB Junior Member

That sounds realy great marionh_au I'll get some land one day. Good luck with it all.
    Paul