New Photos and Albums!

Discussion in 'Forum Info and Questions' started by 9anda1f, Jul 26, 2013.

1. 9anda1f

9anda1f Administrator Staff Member

Climate:
    Semi-Arid Shrub Steppe (BsK)
    First of all, many thanks to Craig for the new forum software and a functional Photos and Albums feature!

How to upload your pics.

1) First, you may want to open the forums in another browser tab so that you can refer to these instructions while you go through the process the first time. (Right click on the "Forums" link at the top left of the screen and select "Open in a new tab")

2) Along the top bar (in the black section with white text), select "Community", then "Albums".

3) You'll get a screen with two boxes, "Recently Updated Albums" and "-your username- Albums"

4) To create an album, select the "New Album" button at the upper right.

5) Now you'll see a dialogue box prompting for an album title, description, and "type" (public, private, or profile)

6) Once completed, select the "Save Changes" button at the lower right.

7) The next screen will state that "This album doesn't have any photos", so select the "Upload Photos" button at the upper right.
    From here you have the options of either browsing your computer for pics to upload or even copying pics from the web. If from the web, you need to "right click" on the photo of your choice and select "Image URL" from the dropdown menu. If you select "Page URL", it won't work. :(

Note that there are file size limits to the listed file types. They are fairly small, except for the .jpg image files which are nearly five times as large It will pay to save your photos as .jpg. 97.7 KB is quite generous considering that the PRI server is saving your images on it's hard drive.

8) Once you have selected a photo, select the "Upload" button at the far right of the window. You may have to scroll over to see it or increase the window size.

That's it! If you want to add photos to an existing album at any time, you can go to the "Community" "Albums" page and select any of your existing albums, then upload new photos.

If you'd like to include one of your photos in a post, select the album, then click on the photo you want to share. At the lower right section of the viewer window are two links. Select the "Photo URL" link, copy it, and using the "Insert Image" icon in your message editor, paste the URL. Your pic will show up right in your post!

All of this without going to an offsite image hosting service! Hooray!!

Try it. I'm looking forward to seeing lots of new pics from your Permaculture activities!

2. gardenlen

gardenlen Group for banned users

g'day bill,

many thanks for the help, can't we attach pic's to posts anymore?

so if we want to show a pic' for demonstration purposes on a post, and we have to pop it in an album how do others know we have a pic on line? unt3il recently we could do that by "go advanced" browse and insert a pic'

have a good one

len

3. 9anda1f

Climate:
    If the pic you want to attach is from an existing website (for instance a photo from a news site or blog somewhere) you can "go advanced" for your reply/post and "insert picture". You can "right click" on the pic from the website and select "copy image url". Be sure to copy the image url and not the "copy link address". Insert the image url into the "insert picture" dialog box and then "ok".
    Try it!

4. mischief

mischief Senior Member

s/e
    Climate:
    Cool mountain
    9anda1f, I cant see 'community' on the black bar. I have a little notepad,would this be the reason or is it just not there at the moment?

5. 9anda1f

Climate:
    Hmmm, yes you're right, the community function seems to be missing. This appears to be another "bug" for the bug list.

6. grantvdm

grantvdm Junior Member

Metallurgist
    Good day All,
    I have tried to follow these instructions, but seems it does not work any more? I have been a member of the PRI forum for quite some time, and have not accessed the forums in quite a long time, due to my "dislike for social media". I have however now come to a point in my life where I realise the potential in using social media to "advertise" what you are doing. My hope is that i can showcase my stuff, in the long term hope of getting assistance to realise my goal of living off the land. We have been battling it out for the past six years here in the Namib desert, and just feel like we are getting nowhere slowly...i would like to know how to upload photos, as I would like to use them to update projects on the Permaculture Global Site (that also seems a bit dead at the moment). Thanks a million.