New Energy

Discussion in 'Designing, building, making and powering your life' started by Jana, Oct 7, 2008.

1. Jana

Jana Junior Member

:axe:

2. SueinWA

SueinWA Junior Member

Re: New Energy

When a blurb like that is so coy, without a clue as to what they're really talking about, I'll pass every time.

Sue

3. Jana

Jana Junior Member

:finga:

4. Julian

Julian Junior Member

im glad it wasnt just me who read that and realised at the end that i was no clearer to understanding anything about the book!

the last thread was very big on waffle and dreams and scant on practical applications and usefulness, but i note it was deleted in whole as opposed to being moved to the big picture section (which again, is where this thread should be) as was called for.

Jana - this has nothing to do with ecologically powering ones life on a domestic scale.

5. Jana

Jana Junior Member

PERMA-CULTURE

Exclusivity, survivalism, short-term gain, me and mine, and self-incestuous preoccupation for ones own piece of the pie without considering the larger picture is symptomatic of the Fear-Culture, and is antithetical to a Perma-culture.
    A permanently evolving culture is that which is built on a sense of global responsibility and collective vision. Perm-culture needs to be fundamental to human culture not peripheral to it, nor an adjunct to it, nor an alternative to it. Thus perma-cultural principles must be applied to all human endeavor, whether that be an individual household, city design, or interstellar space ships. Perma-culture is at its core a spiritual, mystical and moral sensitivity that seeks to apply increasing heart and intelligence into the living activities of humans in relationship to the earth. As such it cannot be arrogant, insular, selfish, but instead must be humbly open to a larger truth beyond human greed, insecurity and hubris. Perma-culture at its heart must be founded on regeneration, regenerousity, reGeneration and generosity…or it is simply not a permanently evolving culture…but again another experiment in self-interest and futility. If perma-culture ethos doesn’t spread through the power of its logic and magnanimity then the degenerate culture of unthinking humanity will swallow up all the earnest efforts of the permacultural pioneers…in war, famine, pollution and disease.

There is just not enough lifeforce and life-harmonic either in formal western lifestyle or in western medicine to really offer a cure of "cancer" or anything. Permaculture offers the only solution at this point in our history of genuine survival in any kind of noble holy universal condition.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OFjFG24BeX8 —PERMACULTURE & PEAK OIL: Beyond 'Sustainability' David Holmgren

Holmgren said that if the technoculture takes off with a "new" viable source of non-hydrocarbon energy source then everything he has done for the last 20+ years will be obsolete. That is an interesting statement, but I think it is untrue, simply because the survival of any human culture relies on a direct unbroken chain from vitalized nature—standard culture cannot provide this link—only permaculture can. That means that any future civilization will have to have permaculture at its foundations, or else it is heading for the cliff quicksmart...or faststupid I should say. Thus no matter whatever future humans have it will be shot completely through with permaculture memes, not only on land usage, but in all organizational and design aspects. Simply because permaculture represents the most ephemeralization, that is the most efficient and intelligent use of resourses and quality-meaning-purpose in human life. The term "ephemeralization" is what Buckminster Fuller used to represent an increasingly more subtle, intelligent and efficient use of resources through a deeper understanding and respect for the infinite complexity of the universe and nature.

"The great fact to be realized regarding Nature is that it is natural. We may pervert the order of Nature, but it will prevail in the long run, returning...by the back door even through we drive it out with a pitchfork. The beginning, middle and end of the Law of Nature is the principle of growth from a vitality that exists in the entity itself." Thomas Troward

Any viable culture must be a humble student of nature or it will suffer the demise of its errant ways. Thus our disease and diabolical warfare are the result of our divorce from a reverence and understanding of nature. Permaculture represents a return to the sanity of natural principles. Permaculture is THE foundations of any possible future, and that it is hubris to consider otherwise.

6. springtide

springtide Junior Member

I think you are wrong to judge people based on a few posts. I do not fear the future but i do have a limited understanding of what may be involved if i chose to play any role in it. I believe that i have firstly a responsibiliy to my family (which makes me smile every day), then to my country (it is like a skin that surrounds me and my family) and then to my species (which i am not allways impressed with). The planet has seen worse times than the industrial revolution and wether we go the way of the dinosaurs or not - like you have suggested nature will win in the end.
    It's not exclusive, it's not incestuous and although it would be nice if the principals of permaculture were incorporated in to more human endevours - there are too many people on this planet. Some are selfish, some shouldn't be in positions of power but most are just trying to get home from work to see their families. It's these people you should really try to "enlighten".
    Again i don't feel fear or hoplessness, i just don't have the time and unlimited resources (cash mostly) to take your stand point.

Please look down on us from your interstellar space ship and understand that we are doing our best. :rolleyes:

7. Julian

Julian Junior Member

Jana
    I understand what you are trying to say here, and amongst the reams of waffle and purple prose i generally agree with the underlying message, but do you actually read what you cut and paste?

spiritual? rubbish!
    mystical???? utter rubbish - permaculture should be and is anything BUT mystical.
    and then you talk about moving back to natural principles - how has belief in intangiable 'spirits and energies' that no one could agree on have anything to do with understanding the way nature works by studying it and trying to emulate it thereby having less impact?

Again though:
    THIS THREAD HAS NOTHING TO DO WITH POWERING/BUILDING etc!

8. Jana

Jana Junior Member

Rail against the Paradox!
    Religious forms kill the human spirit or stop it evolving, because religions, churches and ashrams are attempts to legitimize that which needs no legitimization (I am That). And in so doing, a defense against illegitimacy (evil) is set up, which perpetuates evil (self/other separation). Rather what needs to occur is education in inclusivity, global embrace, We-thinking and the observation that the ego will always try and separate and elevate itself above the crowd in an attempt to acquire legitimacy (good), power and significance.

I went to Bioneers today, (The church of the eco-concerned yuppie) hoping for some inspiration, a new idea or two, some confirmation that the species is on the right track. Instead I saw the Bioneers sect giving emotional testimony to themselves and passing around the contribution plate (box). The set up the little rituals, the stretches, the hand holding, the shaking of the rattlers…a few great speeches telecast from the main event which laid out the “problem” and very little fleshing out of the solution. Other than Janine Benyus of the The Biomimicry Institute, who is always inspiring.

It is like we are all in a trance on the Titantic, each with our own bright solutions untried, making up eco-songs for the children, making our products like solar ovens that make cooked food to kill us slowly…carrying on the old forms of pathology over to the new eco-religion…tidying them up a little and getting them organically certified and carbon footprinted…so we can feel like we belong, like we are legitimate…like we have a right to exist. Then there are the evangelical stirrings…”I must warn everyone that the Titantic is going down, that they have to stop screwing or the boat will run aground, we will all run out of food and die in our own refuse.

My sense is that my $30 would have been better spent on buying a tree or two. Or a bunch of The Man Who Planted Trees books to give around. At some point we got to stop screwing around. No point in “belonging” to a sinking ship.

The contribution box should have been for IDEAS not money! So I put in an info sheet on the implosionists. It is not money we are short of it is FLOW…the perfect synchronous orgastic merging and synthesis of ideas and knowledge. Rather than commodifying and exploiting our ecological demise, we need to become a new species, with NEW FORMS of social cohesion and contribution.

Then I went and saw Religulous And the Bioneers bubble was popped. But it doesn’t get me closer to where my sweat and blood fits into the picture.