netting for pest exclusion

Discussion in 'Planting, growing, nurturing Plants' started by Nathan Edwards, Apr 24, 2008.

1. Nathan Edwards

Nathan Edwards Junior Member

Microclima, pestguard cover etc. what is the best insect barrier in terms of netting for vegetable protection? I am talking commercial volumes here people so nothing to d.i.y. I would like to know if there are products out there that exclude fairly small insects but not plastic as it may be too hot in there during the summere months

2. paradisi

paradisi Junior Member

Re: netting for pest exclusion

contact your local DPI - or agriculture department - they're usually pretty good with advice - I have seen it used in the UK

3. sweetpea

sweetpea Junior Member

I have found fabric like Pestguard to not hold up in the sun after a season, maybe two. They shred, they dissolve in the sun. They say they can be recycled, but recycled into what? And they are expensive since you have to keep buying them every couple of years.

I use white or beige sheer curtains I find at the thrift store, white bed sheets (the older and lower thread count the better), and I also have some tan colored shade cloth that has many uses as the season goes on.

Doing a folliar spray with a few drops of olive oil, and strained hotsauce (you can add compost tea as the water, optional) makes most leaves inhospitable for egg laying. Although I always keep cabbages, broccoli, etc., covered to stop the moths from laying eggs.

4. Tamara

Tamara Junior Member

Green Harvest has some good stuff.
    love
    T

5. sweetpea

sweetpea Junior Member

Okay, I can't figure out the private message thing. It won't include the address when I try to reply, don't have time right now, so I'll have to reply this way.

I guess it depends on the size of the commercial use. All year long I run into thrift stores and check the few categories of things I use, so my collection of sheer curtains and white sheets now can cover half an acre (twenty 100-foot rows held in place with hoops and clothes pins) with the strips I sew together. Not every row needs covering, of course, but I use it for shade when transplanting delicate lettuces and tomatoes for the first week. I also buy pale tan colored shade cloth (green is the more common color, it's synthetic and knitted looking, you can almost see through it) and I have some that is 20 years old, still good as new. It is expensive, but the lifespan of it makes it a good investment. It's also slippery when dragged along the ground to move a pile of mulch or compost, and doesn't dissolve like plastic tarps do.

Here's something I haven't tried yet, but I've seen quite a few articles on it. Have you tried this? Make a tea from green tomato leaves, and spray that on, and it repels pests. Pretty soon I'll have enough new leaves to give this a try. Probably wouldn't hurt to add some compost tea as well.

Also, tea made from chopped and boiled garlic is a good repellent, it already has a bit of an oil to it. All of these have to be applied about once a week, and always after a rain.

Hope all is well with you.

6. Nathan Edwards

Thanks very much for that sweet pea. The pest advice is good but the commercial nature of my operation is for other clients and I cannot reputably on-sell a second hand product at this stage.

7. Susan

Susan Junior Member

I realise you have pointed out you want commercial scale protection , but not sure how large scale you are talking. I would try https://www.birdbarrier.com and have a look at what they have. It is an American company that many of the larger Aussie Pest Management Companies order their supplies from. They carry several tryes of netting (bird and bat) plus other deterrent type products, it might give you an idea of what is available.
    Good luck

8. urbanpermasuccess

urbanpermasuccess Junior Member

Agricultural netting services are based in Tasmania and net orchards on a commercial scale. They can design cages for insect control while maintaining airflow.

Mark

9. sweetpea

sweetpea Junior Member

I was hoping the original question wasn't really referring to netting as the fabric, but just a cover fabric that is more solid. I've put in these boards before the horrible experience I've had with the small netting fabric with the small holes. It catches snakes that can squeeze through many holes before they get caught and starve. It took me an hour down on my knees to cut one loose, while holding a garbage can lid over his head so he couldn't see and stop hissing at me. I've found dead bats in bird netting, and just about a month ago a person sitting on a bench at a store pointed out to me there was something under my truck. The bird netting (that I was throwing away) had apparently dropped onto the driveway and wound itself around the axle and the brake lines. Luckily it didn't pull them loose. I had to crawl under the truck in the parking lot with scissors and cut for about 15 minutes to get it loose.

Our best helpers out there are critters like bats and snakes, and to have them die in this netting is tragic. This stuff is bad news as far as I'm concerned, which is why I'm using solid fabric. I don't know if Nathan wants to sell people fabric, or he just has a huge application. Either way, I hope it's using something other than what our co-workers outside can get caught in and die. :)

10. Nathan Edwards

Sweatpea, you needn't worry it is large scale in the sense that I will need a lot of netting but it is in numerous micro applications at many sites and in a scale no larger than 2x4 metres. I'd tell you what it is but I have promised our financial backer that we will keep it a secret till the launch and right now we are in r&d mode. In any case I want to find netting with holes small enough to keep out most insects and if a snake can get through it is too large for what I am looking at. Any how guys thanks for all your help, I'm off on another aspect of r$d now having found a few things to trial I will leave the netting be for a while till I have the results.

11. sweetpea

sweetpea Junior Member

the bird netting I'm talking about has 1/4 inch holes, that's about the size you could stick your finger through. The snake that got caught in it was a 5-foot long gopher snake, at least 2 inches around (make a C with your thumb and forefinger). They can squeeze themselves that small and get through 20 or 25 holes until they get utterly tangled. That's why it took me so long to get them cut out of it. But holes that small wouldn't keep out insects. I was just talking about that plastic bird netting that drives me crazy. :) It doesn't sound like that's what you're after.

12. Nathan Edwards

In my original post I only mentioned insect netting. I have found a great product that has holes less than half a millimetre in size. Birds are not a problem with holes that small. Thanks for the info though, as I have given a little thought to your practice of collecting curtains and such for home use. I think I will start doing the same when my wife next (inevitably!) drags me op-shopping again.