need help with solar aspect

Discussion in 'Planting, growing, nurturing Plants' started by alexizorbas, May 8, 2013.

1. alexizorbas

alexizorbas Junior Member

hey there,

i recently purchased a 1 acre property in austin texas, where the avg daily temp in winter is around (60f high and 38 low) and in the summer (95-100 high- 75 low). my question is this... even though it gets baking hot in the summer, is the best solar aspect in the summer still south, or is it something more like southeast? i am trying to determine the best spots for my annual vegetable garden and cant seem to figure out if i want to protect it from the heat and risk giving my plants a little less sunlight, or if i should give them as much sun as possible at the cost of baking temps. the crops i am talking about are heat loving annuals anyway like okra, tomatoes, peppers, basil, corn, summer beans etc... so i figure i would be ok with a south or even southwest aspect?

then in the winter garden for my veggie crops, i obviously want a southwest aspect, correct? i figure i can just make a few large beds with southwest aspect and grow all my annual crops in that one veggie bed, even though in the summer it will be extra hot in the afternoon. i just dont know how things change in an extreme-ish climate like mine.

i appreciate your help, i need it. thank you everyone:)

2. gardenlen

gardenlen Group for banned users

alex,

it'll be south for all seasons as in winter that is where you get your best sun, all depends on tall trees blocking winter sun.

len

3. eco4560

eco4560 New Member

South. You could plant something deciduous to the east and / or west which will give some shade in high summer but be bare in deep winter.

4. alexizorbas

alexizorbas Junior Member

Thanks guys. I guess I need to observe how much shade is cast on southern side in winter before planting a garden. Maybe I can do some trimming too if its a problem. South is the key, thank u

5. Terra

Terra Moderator

Yep you can organise shade however getting more light is not so easy .

6. gardenlen

gardenlen Group for banned users

also alex,

not sure but you won't want any shade tracking across the panels, and another thing to keep in mind the panels are to be kept clean as! so you need safe access to the panels, check google much info on cleaning devices and how to, they ahve self cleaning panels but not sure how good they will be, the cleaner you keep them the more their efficiency lasts.

have you considered doing a dual with wind system? best of both worlds.

len