Need help finding ice cream bean seed and pinto peanut seed

Discussion in 'Planting, growing, nurturing Plants' started by Jjef, Oct 24, 2010.

1. Jjef

Jjef Junior Member

Have searched everywhere for these 2 seed, am unable to use runners or seedlings as i require them for an overseas project.

appreciate any information.

jjef

2. MoD

MoD Junior Member

I've bought them thru these guys.

https://www.tradewindsfruit.com/

But they don't have them all the time, really rarely do they have them as the seeds are very perishable and they come pre-sprouted.

It's the only place I've found them too. Not sure if they ship outside the states.

Fast shipping and good seeds.

Let us know if you find another source...
    D

3. paradisi

paradisi Junior Member

ice cream beans are readily available at the markets at eumundi, currumbin? gold coast?, and the big pineaplle (will be the castle now)

just have to get there when they are being harvested =- cant remember when that is - -

4. SueUSA

SueUSA Junior Member

Be sure to look for them by their scientific name if you are having difficulty finding them using their common name, as some seed dealers only use the scientific names.

Ice cream bean is Inga edulis, Pinto peanut is Arachis pintoi .

5. paradisi

paradisi Junior Member

good point sueusa - there was a thread in here last year about probs with australias major fruit tree to the home provider - they are using something that isnt quite an ice cream bean

the ones they were selling had beans only 30cm long instead of the 100-200cm of the inga edulis

6. tropicalexotics

tropicalexotics Junior Member

Also be careful with ice cream bean if you plant it on a creek bank in the tropics.
    Their seeds germinate so easily sometimes while still in the pod and they colonise readily and grow incredibly quickly.
    From one tree on my neighbors( i also planted a couple of seeds ) the bloody things are coming up all along our creek like weeds.(20m high weeds!)
    Pinto on the other hand is a great groundcover plant and I have also seen it used as an ornamental lawn with its little yellow flowers.Looks great and leguminous of course.

7. Jjef

Jjef Junior Member

the beans are 1 to 2 metres long?

8. tropicalexotics

tropicalexotics Junior Member

Ours generally are between 50 to 100cm.
    Paradisi whats that about a tree that isnt an ice cream bean?

Scott

9. paradisi

paradisi Junior Member

Im not sure what the outcome was

someone on here informed daleys nursery that their ice cream bean didnt have the proper sized fruits

last I heard daleys wer going to investigate and try to get the big fruited variety - theirs only has the small pod with a couple of seeds in it

10. DonHansford

DonHansford Junior Member

Hi jjef
    Re the pinto peanut
    This info from greenharvest.com.au
    They say it's out of stock til late 2010 - if you email them they are usually pretty prompt in replying

"Pinto Peanut
    Arachis pintoi
    Excellent legume groundcover for orchards, Pinto forms a thick, luxuriant mat 20-30 cm deep, with attractive yellow pea flowers; it suits frost-free areas and is moderately tolerant of shade and drought tolerant. Subtropical areas sow October-January; tropical areas sow during the wet season.
    Seed provided is in a pelleted form, this means it is pre-inoculated, treated with a plant growth hormone 'Superseed' and coated with a polymer. The seed is not treated with insecticide.
    SP126 10m2 $3.50 Sorry, this seed is out of stock until late 2010"

Also, doing a search for ice cream bean in this forum revealed three pages of threads on the subject, some in the give-away thread

11. ActiveAcres

ActiveAcres New Member

I got hold of some seed last year but did not have much success with them. I will hopefully be given replacement stock or a refund.