Need help. Cheapest council-legal dwelling?

Discussion in 'Designing, building, making and powering your life' started by DJ-Studd, Mar 3, 2012.

1. ecodharmamark

ecodharmamark Junior Member

G'day DJ

If the site you have chosen for the construction/erection/placement of your dwelling is indeed affected by the BMO/WMO, then regardless of the fact that the property is zoned FZ and in excess of 40ha, you will still need to apply for a planning permit (see: Clause 44.06-1 of the Mt Alexander Planning Scheme). Also, assuming that the property is heavily vegetated (hence the BMO/WMO), then if you plan to clear any of the said native vegetation to facilitate your dwelling construction/erection/placement (including the access road, etc.), then Clause 52.17 of the same Scheme will also 'trigger' the requirement for a planning permit.

To determine the exact statutory planning requirements as they affect your property title, you can insert your property details here and receive a free planning property report. Alternatively, provide me with your exact property details (via a PM), and I'll further guide you through the process.

Cheerio, Mark.

2. helenlee

helenlee Junior Member

3. eco4560

eco4560 New Member

Now that is cool!

4. pebble

pebble Junior Member

Climate:
    Inland maritime/hot/dry/frosty
    Wow, where did you get that photo Helenlee?

5. helenlee

helenlee Junior Member

Yes ... it would be cool ... & warm. That's the idea of it Eco ;) :) :)

Can't remember where it came from Pebble ... one of my sustainable hippy housing sites somewhere out there in the aether.

Is there any way to change your name on here without loosing access to all your old threads/posts etc? Helenlee is past it's use by date ...

6. eco4560

eco4560 New Member

I think we Mods can do that for you. Just let me know what you would prefer and I'll see what I can do.

7. helenlee

helenlee Junior Member

Pebble I hope you REALLY wanted to know where I got that photo (actually ... I probably should have credited it? Should I?) because I have just waded throught the internet equivelent of a putrid swamp to find it ...

https://www.facebook.com/lovageandlemongrass

:)

8. pebble

pebble Junior Member

Climate:
    Inland maritime/hot/dry/frosty
    Thanks!!! Yes, I really wanted to know :) I wish the FB person had credited it, am wading through my own swamp now.

Did you see that idea for hard 'boiled' eggs in an oven though?!

9. helenlee

helenlee Junior Member

Hey Pebble ... I found another one you might like :)

No, I didn't see the hard boiled eggs in an oven thing. Where was that?

I did try to reheat hard boiled eggs in a microwave once when I was very young & had a 20 minute dinner break at the pub I was working in. I guess you know I spent the whole break cleaning out the microwave :(

10. helenlee

helenlee Junior Member

11. purecajn

purecajn Junior Member

Self Employed / Semi-retired
    Climate:
    Sub-Tropical, Zone 9
    some of those homes are breathtaking

12. helenlee

helenlee Junior Member

They sure are ... which is drifting away from the original thread of the OP ... sorry.

13. Anthony D

Anthony D New Member

Hi DJ

I had to join this forum after reading your thread. I have been asking similar questions but for different reasons.
    Anyway, I am not sure if you have made progress but I am an architect and I'd be happy to help you with any part of the process if you need it. I see you have a planner on board which is great. I have been working on permits for my own site which is in a rural conservation zone with the BMO/WMO as well as significant land and vegetation protection overlays. I figure you will be dealing with similar issues. Please feel free to contact me if you think I may be able to help.
    thanks
    Anthony

14. ecochick

ecochick Junior Member

Ive just joined this site, because I have been googling to find the answer to your question for myself. It is my understanding that you cannot live longterm in a shed. I believe you can only reside there for a certain length of time before having to have a proper house built. I want to move to Toodyay, in WA, and what I can afford will buy me several acres with a decently fitted out shed.......or the shabbiest house in town. Someone correct me if I am wrong........please!

15. ecodharmamark

G'day ecochick

Welcome to the PRI Forum.

The short answer to your question: It depends.

The (slightly) longer version: If the planning zone allocated to the parcel of land that you eventually acquire in the Shire of Toodyay (WA) will allow for you to construct and use a dwelling, and if the shed you construct for this purpose meets with BCA (Building Code of Australia) specifications, and if you correctly dispose of your waste as per Council's specifications, then you can (most likely) legally live in a shed.

Here you can find more information about the planning, building and health requirements of the Shire of Toodyay.

Cheerio, Markos.

16. ecochick

ecochick Junior Member

Thank you for that information ecodharmamark......unfortunately it isnt encouraging! I think Toodyay or Northam are as far from Perth as I can manage to live, and commute back here for my job. I could afford a house and a patch of land further out....but then I would have to quit my job, and the likelihood of finding work in a remote country town isnt good!

17. ecodharmamark

18. ecochick

ecochick Junior Member

Hi ecodharmamark.....you are so very helpful! I had a look at Intentional Communities, and Cohousing, and I dont think I could do that. Part of my wanting to leave the city and live in the bush is to get away from people, and bask in solitude. Im quite sociable and generally like people, but not all the time!

19. Mudman

Mudman Junior Member

Here is a very clever solution by a US Architect Tom kundig.
    The property already had a house on it but the client wanted some guest cabins.
    It was discovered that ther was previous approval for caravans or the like so they came up with the idea of constructing cabins on wheels, which don't rewally move but have wheels.

Maybe you could do the same thing, buy an old bus chassis or similar and build a house on it using scavenged and recycled materials, easy to do if you have the time and you don't need building approval.

Attached Files:

20. Greyfox

Greyfox Junior Member

Try this site
    https://www.affordableportable.com.au/index.htm
    They offer portable office site buildings in different sizes.
    We have one on our property for accomadiation ,which is fitted out with bedroom , bathroom and kitchen.In NSW as they are portable they are under less council building codes etc.
    They are in NSW so transport may be costly, but surley there is something similar in VIC.
    Have a look through the site you will be surprised of what they have and cost.
    Good luck.

Allan