Need basic info on Tagasaste

Discussion in 'Planting, growing, nurturing Plants' started by SueinWA, Oct 12, 2009.

1. SueinWA

SueinWA Junior Member

I am having trouble finding two pieces of information on tagasaste...

1) It is described as hardy, which doesn't mean much. Does anyone have any actual temperature ranges of hardiness?

2) Are the seeds edible by chooks? Nutritious? Toxic?

Thanks for any help.

Sue

2. Grahame

Grahame Senior Member

Re: Need basic info on Tagasaste

Here is some info from a NSW Agriculture 'AgFact' sheet...

Here's a link if you want to look at the whole thing...

https://www.dpi.nsw.gov.au/agriculture/field/field-crops/forage-fodder/crops/tagasaste

The only toxicity I have heard of is a thing called Tagasaste Staggers in goats if they eat too much of it.

3. ecodharmamark

ecodharmamark Junior Member

G'day Sue

The book that I made mention of in this thread: viewtopic.php?f=1&t=6568&hilit=tagasaste+in+la+palma&start=10 should be able to provide you with what you are looking for, as a primary source of information. If not, it has an extensive bibliography, and it is within these secondary sources of information that I am sure you will find what you ar looking for.

Cheerio, Mark.

4. purplepear

purplepear Junior Member

Farm manager/ educator
    Home Page:
    Climate:
    warm temperate - some frost - changing every year

Hello sue - it grows poorly here at Purple Pear but I believe it is more to do with poor drainage ( clay soils) then the temperate climate.
    regards

5. SueinWA

SueinWA Junior Member

What a frustrating search! Apparently there are a lot of people out there who don't know how to relate hardiness to numbers.

I finally found some information that indicates it will survive down to either -9C (16F) or -15C (5F), but young plants are more sensitive to freezing. Which makes me wonder how the plant survives in some places, unless it's dependent on a couple of mild winters.

And the seeds are safe for chooks. There was mention of a white-flowered variety (most palatable to livestock) and a yellow-flowered variety (less palatable to livestock).

BTW, looking under 'tagasaste' is basically a waste of time. If you need more info, use the scientific name for more useful info: Chamaecytisus palmensis or Chamaecytisus prolifer var. palmensis.

Sue

6. milifestyle

milifestyle New Member

lol... i have avoided this thread cause i didn't recognise the common name. Chamecytisus i know well.

Chamaecytisus proliferous (Chamae meaning "false" ) False Cytisus.

From memory Chamecytisus is white flowering, the yellow flowering variety is actually true cytisus (broom). I don't have time to research that at the moment. I'll check when i get in later tonight.

Chamecytisus grows prolifically (no pun intended) around here. It is grown by some people as a stock feed, though more usually as a wind break.

The botanical name literally means "Prolific flowering false cytisus" Flowers end of winter through spring.

We get areas with a lot of frost and the tree tolerates it well.

EDIT: Just found a quick link for more info - https://www.greenharvest.com.au/seeds/in ... saste.html

7. 9anda1f

9anda1f Administrator Staff Member

Climate:
    Semi-Arid Shrub Steppe (BsK)

I had some tagasaste seeds last winter and got three of them to germinate. Two died early (maybe eaten by mice) but the third lasted all summer. However it was overcome by the cold winter (-15F last year!!!). It's also known as tree lucerne and I believe it originated in the Canary Islands.