need a list of chemicals used in sheep farming that can be toxic to vegetables?

Discussion in 'Planting, growing, nurturing Plants' started by Nickolas, Sep 22, 2012.

1. Nickolas

Nickolas Junior Member

I live in sheep country and the only abundant supply of manure I can get my hands on(without paying a small fortune) is to get sheep manure from under local sheering sheds but the problem I have is that sheep farmers sometimes use chemicals on there sheep in the sheering sheds which seeps down to the manure below the floor, some of these chemicals can be fatal to plants so I need to know which chemicals used in sheep farming are fatal to plants so I can compile a list to show and ask the farmers if they use these chemicals in there sheds, because I cant just ask them if they use chemicals in there sheds because not all chemicals are going to kill my plants. any help at all would be very welcome.

2. Grahame

Grahame Senior Member

I would be surprised if there were any chemicals they are using on the sheep that would be fatal to plants. Even if they are using herbicides around the sheds it should be gone within a couple of weeks (in so far at it directly effects plants.

If you are talking about residual chemicals that might affect your health, well that is another matter. You may also find that residual chemicals might effect your soil flora - especially worming chemicals.

You might consider using the sheep poo to grow plants you don't eat directly, such as fruit, or green manures, fire wood species. You could get your fertility indirectly from the poo if you are concerned.

"Knock, knock!"
    "Who's there?"
    "I eat sheep!"
    "I eat sheep who?"
    "Ewwww!"

:)

3. mouseinthehouse

mouseinthehouse Junior Member

Have never heard of sheep manure collected from under shearing sheds causing a problem to plants. The only chemical I know of possibly used in sheds whilst sheep are penned may be flystrike liquid treatment stuff for an obviously flyblown sheep, (at least that is what my dad used to do), but that was a reasonably uncommon occurrence and the amount that got onto the board very minimal. Can't think of anything else they use whilst sheep in the shed. In the yards is a different matter but that would be residual as Grahame mentions. If I gave a list of chemicals to a farmer here as per your idea, they would think I am a nutter and probably tell me its all too hard....(no offence intended!).

4. pebble

pebble Junior Member

Climate:
    Inland maritime/hot/dry/frosty
    You could just ask them how long between drenching and shearing. And then what the drench is. I agree it's unlikely to be a problem for plants directly but that the plants may take up the residues.

If you feel the farmer is open to the question I think it would be way easier to just ask them what they use and then research that. I agree with mouse too, that some farmers would find the question odd and it might put them off. Or more likely they would say there is nothing harmful rather than giving details. Depends on the farmer though.

5. Michaelangelica

Michaelangelica Junior Member

6. Nickolas

Nickolas Junior Member

John (one of the local sheep farmers) had a type of sheep drench that he applied to his sheep in his sheering shed about 15 years ago, the next year his brother cleaned out the sheep manure from under the shed which he did every 2-3 years, his brother always used the sheep manure on his Veggies but the year that John used the different sheep drench all of his brothers veggies went yellow and died from the toxic sheep manure. in the same year John accidentally spilt half a litre of this chemical sheep drench just out side his chemical shed(which is on the other side of the farm from his sheering shed) and 15 years later to this day there is still a 10 metre wide bald spot in the grass from where John spilt the half litre of the chemical sheep drench.
    At my reqest John has been trying to remember the name of this toxic sheep drench for the past year but he cant remember, so i am hoping someone here has come across any sheep drench chemical like the one that john used and if so can i have the name of it?

7. eco4560

eco4560 New Member

If in doubt compost the manure first. That'll break down much of whatever is in it. Then you can try growing a few test plants in pots of the compost before you spread it around.

8. frosty

frosty Junior Member

there is a herbicide called aminopyralid that can pass through animals, come out in their manure and still kill your vegetables