Nectarines

Discussion in 'Planting, growing, nurturing Plants' started by arawajo, Sep 1, 2008.

1. arawajo

arawajo Junior Member

What should I spray my nectarine tree with to save the fruit from fruit fly and when should I spray? Does anyone have any ideas? The fruit are already there on the tree! I'm sure that's earlier than other years. I have tried making fruit fly traps but they weren't effective. The free range chooks have cleaned up under the tree so I 'm hoping that will asist in keeping fly numbers down. Any advice gratefully received, oh and also where do I buy/get the spray? And I live near Gympie - 2 hours north of Brisbane.
    Ta.

2. paradisi

paradisi Junior Member

Re: Nectarines

sprays are a waste of time

see https://opinonated-bastard.blogspot.com/ ... chive.html

there's an article with pics about controlling fruit fly on nectarines

it says

Queensland is home to the Queensland fruit fly. A voracious little critter that lays eggs wich hatch into worms that feed on fruit of all sorts.

They especially like soft fruit that people like. Our nectarine was ravaged by fruit fly in the first year and then we started some experimenting.

We tried paper bags with ties - the rain stuffed them and they only last a short while. An expensive and almost ineffective sollution.

We tried exclusion sleeves - bits of fly wire made into a sleeve and tied to the tree. Very effective, but only if the branches are straight.

Fruit fly traps and baits aren't worth it if you are serious about stopping the fly. And having a neighbour who breeds fruit fly doesn't help - they have a 20m tall yellow guava which produces about 300kg of fruit each year of which the only fruit picked is picked by possums. The rest are fruit fly creches.

And then we went garage sailing and came across some lace curtains. They are ideal and provide full and total protection from fruit fly. Just wait until the last of the flowers have been pollinated and then wrap in curtains.

Make sure you tie to the trunk and not pegged to the ground, fruit fly pupate and over winter in the soil below the tree.

the pic is:- [​IMG]

3. arawajo

arawajo Junior Member

Re: Nectarines

Thank you :)