National Permaculture Day

Discussion in 'The big picture' started by Geoff Lawton, Mar 28, 2008.

1. Geoff Lawton

Geoff Lawton Administrator Staff Member

Here is a message from Janet Millington.

Hi All,
    I would like to get the discussion going re the national day as I think a good date for the first one is fast approaching.
    I would like us to discuss the following. We can do it all at once or stage it as decisions will be based on previous decisions.

Question 1
    Do we agree a National Permaculture Day will promote our work? The advantages.
    Question 2
    Exploration of the possible ways that each group or individual could use this day as a springboard.
    Question 3.
    Who or what organisation would create the day...the pronouncement, the national media coverage and provide support to individuals and groups?
    Question 4
    How can people all celebrate the day, highlighting the work of permaculture when it is the same day but different climate all over Australasia Pacific?
    Question 5
    What day will we choose?

Can I start with Q1?
    It would be wonderful if all Australians were aware of Permaculture and its Australian origin. It would be good to have all energy concentrated (but not limited to) that one day. Groups can get local media coverage, individuals can showcase their work. And no matter what International Day it is....Women, Children, Water, Disabled, Indigenous....Permaculture can use that as a theme that year to show that we cover everything or showcase a challenge in their region.. We can have open days but if the weather is no good in a place at that time... we can launch the open property calendar for the region for the year on that day. We can visit beaches and forests, buildings of eco design, start local energy projects, share recipes, have a How To day, offer 10 km lunches, do a permie blitz, have a book swap....show movies, have guest speakers, have schools show their stuff....the list is endless.

So over to you guys for discussion. I would just like to jump to Q5
    It may be fitting that the first one is on Bill's 80th birthday ...the 4th May 2008. Could we agree in time?
    Janet Millington

2. highmichelle

highmichelle New Member

Re: National Permaculture Day

Q1. I support the idea of National Permaculture Day - lots of advantages... some include:
    - it will result in media attention- which means spreading the PC word- new people might join PC movement
    - good to celebrate achievements and recognise people in the PC movement
    - creates a sense of community across country/nations - by hearing about what others are doing on the same day
    - provides a focus day for locals to get an event organised- to present their local work/ideas to others
    - having a day devoted to PC- makes the movement sound big and important- like other special movements/events that have one day of they year to themselves!

Q.3 who are the key players/small/large community/commercial groups in permaculture. i am looking for a good list of links to PC organisations in aus and aroudn the world. i havent found anything yet- so have started to created one myself. Of course there is the PIL... as an overarching body... other than that i dont know of many other bodies. I'm not sure how well PIL currently communicates to smaller PC groups and other PC players. In terms of sending a message out to all PC groups to tell them about the event- we certainly need contact details of as many individuals/community groups as possible. DOES THIS EXIST? If anyone has any good links- feel free to send to me... and i can start to prepare such a list. it doesnt need to be owned by anyone--- but rather just exist- for people/groups to communicate with each other. Further- it would be great to make it an international day- thus i am also collecting international links/contact details.

Q4. people in different locations can celebrate PC day as they see fit

Q5. i like the idea of celebrating the day on the birthday of the founder of PC- Bill Mollison... or do i say 'a' founder... i am only a few weeks new to PC- so am not up on all the details. However it may be too soon to celebrate this year- then again - maybe one month is enough...?! Possibly someone could ask some of the key PC figures on a suggested date... again- does anyone have a list of these people? Or is this sugestion anathema- it appears some say PC cant have key figures but rather exists due to work of all in our global community?! :) ...eeek!

Thanks Janet.

3. highmichelle

highmichelle New Member

Hi Janet- i just read the following from the Permaculture Association (Britain) site (eBulletin, sent on Monday 17th March, 2008):

Day of Action on Food and Climate Change
    3rd June 2008
    "It"s time to detox the planet"

Awareness is growing around food production and methods of growing. Phrases such as "organic" and "permaculture" are often used with little understanding about the methodology and issues behind them. The Network for Climate Action has put out a call for all food related groups, from GM to permaculture, organic farmers to animal rights groups to use the 3rd of June (to coincide with the opening of the UN Conference on World Food Security and Climate Change) to promote their specific slant on food production.

We need to start thinking about sustainable food production..to reconnect with the land and realise the abundance of food that exists on our doorstep. Permaculture theory can help us make this transition...earth care, people care, fair shares...it"s time to promote a cruelty free diet that minimises our impact on the planet.

Climate action starts on your dinner plate, at the supermarket, on your allotment and in your back yard, at the food distribution centres, down on the farm, in your high street, at the airport and the lorry park.

The UN Conference on World Food Security and Climate Change runs from 3rd to 5th June. Whatever your tastes, there"s something for everyone on this action menu! Local food markets, free food stalls, workshops and film showings, street theatre, info stalls, protests and direct action, cooking demonstrations, allotment shows.

Info and resources:

[email protected]
    https://www.daysofclimateaction.org.uk
    https://www.networkforclimateaction.org.uk

Flyer: https://www.veggies.org.uk/climate/fooda ... lyerv1.pdf

4. Fern O.

Fern O. Junior Member

Re: InterNational Permaculture Day

Update: The discussion on the PIL listserv has moved onto making it an International Permaculture Day on the equinox, September 23rd (the spring equinox in the Southern hemisphere). There is great support for this date, with some people (I think it was Deb) suggesting that it should be a week of events centred around the equinox date. A lot of permies are resisting the "Bill's birthday date" as they view it as being too cult/guru ish, and some people have said that they'll divorce themselves from the movement if Bill's birthday is the day that's chosen. Penny still would like it to be at the start of May, and has sited "mayday" as the urgent call to spring everyone into permaculture action.

Geoff, if you can outline the permaculture group rules that you were talking about at APC9, so i can take it to my local permaculture group meeting this wednesday, that would be very much appreciated. Please let me know if you start a new thread on this.
    keep luv'n & grow'n
    Fern

5. Sonya

Sonya Junior Member

I didn't get to the APC9, but I've been reading the discussion on the PIL site about a national day. I offered help to Janet in planning how we could communicate and promote a national (or international) day as I used to work for the ambulance service here and I've run statewide communication campaigns.

I think a special permaculture day is an excellent idea - I already have something special planned for my local area.

Cheers,
    Sonya

6. barely run

barely run Junior Member

Is there an update on this great idea?????
    Csthy

7. sunnyslopes

sunnyslopes Junior Member

Wow!what a great idea! Here in our county we have had two anual green expo days with huge success. Unfortunately it's all done in the american style of profit and showmanship. Not much to offer us commoners. Want a rain barrel for $100? No problem! Drip irrigation? Show us the $$$ "But", which has become my favorite word as I become more liberal each day, I think we could have a permaculture expo that would precede the main green expo. The green expo has outgrown its event location. And the florida economy has just about outgrown it's affluence model. I apologize to all of my friends that make a good living fertilizing lawns for the wealthy. But, we have to end this cycle of making everything green by making the natural waterways brown. Until we make a lawns a lot more brown the fish won't see green. I should find some pics of the most recent fish kill that was attributed to the brown algae. Of course the fish kill happens on the same beach every couple of years. And the beach is near the sewer treatment station.

https://snap.tbo.com/pages/gallery.php?gallery=328608

https://www.myfoxtampabay.com/myfox/page ... geId=3.2.1

https://www2.tbo.com/content/2008/jul/31 ... med-algae/

8. ho-hum

ho-hum New Member

Great Idea.

Awesome Idea.

Just make it an International Permie Day. We have the right and reasons to do it. It would also have clout and give our Permies Worldwide something to celebrate. Do Not hook it to an individual, pick it out of a hat. I personally choose Sept 27 [from my soothsayers hat]. I dont have either a soothsayers hat nor a perspective.

The solstice idea is cool. Personally, I prefer anything that noone else owns. Do permies have a calendar?... :)

I like nov 5.. guy fawkes day... The man had a plan.... :)

cheers,