my yard (my uni), constructive criticism, encouragement

Discussion in 'Designing, building, making and powering your life' started by abdullah, Nov 2, 2009.

1. abdullah

abdullah Junior Member

ok im gonna put myself out there, below is some photos of my 'work in progress' yard from today, as well as a diagram for my plan which has a few notes on it about some but not all of the features, i hope i don't come of as too incompetent, as i said this is my university and my science lab also.

i also have a garden at the font of my house which has some herbs and cherry tomato and also seeds being raised.

right now its just a huge mess, a beautiful mess to me, but i have 2 weeks to fix it into a fuctional and semi aesthetic garden, with a separated by fence area for family to sit, otherwise i might not be allowed live here anymore according to mrs abdullah LOL.

all pics are thumbnails so just right click and select 'open in new tab' or window for full view
    [​IMG]

in the middle facing east:
    [​IMG]

in the middle facing roughly northish:
    [​IMG]

in the middlish facing south western corner:
    [​IMG]

new hens in southwestern corner tearing apart mulch (had to be done!)
    [​IMG]

i will try to grow as much stuff for the chooks as i can thats a priority for me and im seeding every pot i have right now until i raise all the beds later, next is the earthwork stage, which is moving stones around, making the pond and raising the family area then fencing it nicely, family area is 2nd priority as my wife does day care and is supposed to have an outdoor area but isnt able to for obvious safety reasons,i want to put bug and mosquito repellent plants around and something shady overhead so it stays nice and cool, im thinking jasmine, then during the night it will be beautiful smell also.

anyway what do you all think?

FAQs:

why is there a sink there?
    well i had the genius idea to clean the stones and sell them, its gone to the shed now to make way for the chook run.

what you gonna do with the stones?
    some that are relatively clean will be bagged and hopefully sold, others that are so dirty will go to the bottom of the raised beds, also a lot will go to build up the family area approximately 8" higher as it will have plastic under it to collect water to go to the pond, also some will be used to make the ponds.

whats that funny thing in the middle on the design?
    thats a white mulberry tree in a pot LOL.

2. 9anda1f

9anda1f Administrator Staff Member

Climate:
    Semi-Arid Shrub Steppe (BsK)
    Re: my yard (my uni), constructive criticism, encouragement

That's awesome Abdullah! Great post! Nice plan!

And a great idea for a thread too, where everyone posts a "tour" of their Permaculture "lab" lol
    I particularly like your "faq" section and annotated site plan.

Whaddya think? Should we turn Abdullah's thread into the "Post your Permaculture Lab" thread? = )

3. abdullah

abdullah Junior Member

Re: my yard (my uni), constructive criticism, encouragement

thanks, really its not for show, yet, as you can see its a pile of stones, i need ideas, especially inexpensive ones, simple solutions to common problems, also any relevant information to be more self sufficient.

ideally i want the family section to be a cool area (as our house is extremely hot during hot days, hotter than outside!), but not shade out the garden beds or be unsafe for children to be around.

note that my definition of unsafe and the day care accreditation definitions are quite different.