My wicking Garden

Discussion in 'Members' Systems' started by Nickolas, Dec 11, 2014.

1. Nickolas

Nickolas Junior Member

This is my second year with my wicking garden. Right now I have 7 wicking beds, 24 wicking pots made from 200lt plastic blue drums cut in half. And 8 smaller wicking pots which are made of 20lt drums with the top cut off.
    Last year my first trial with wicking gardening was these blue drums but that was a fail. I didn’t have enough organic matter in the soil mix I made, and I didn’t water from the top to help the plants get established. this year I'm covering the hole with my hand while i water until i see water at the top. i do this once every few weeks. it wastes water when you let the water flow out but it does a very good[​IMG] job and leaves no dry spots.

This year I’m using straw bales as the walls. I know they won’t last long. I just needed fast construction[​IMG]. I will phase out the bales after this season[​IMG] with more permanent wicking beds.
    At the moment I have one sunflower bed, two corn beds, one potato bed, two tomato beds and[​IMG] an Allium bed. The drums are full with seedlings right now, such as pumpkins, cucumbers, watermelon, rockmelon, zucchini, okra, silver beet, spinach, tomato’s, aloe Vera and herbs.

That’s all for now. I will post more updates as the season goes
    https://www.facebook.com/video.php?v=15 ... =2&theater

2. Chookie

Chookie Junior Member

Nice video and looking great :y: