My revised permaculture food forest plan

Discussion in 'Members' Systems' started by Veganbill, Mar 15, 2012.

1. Veganbill

Veganbill Junior Member

View attachment 1379
    I guess this plan image will be too small too see.
    Many other details and trees I haven't included.
    Most Nitrogen fixing trees are planted or will be before spring. Then I will plant kiwis and grapes, leaving most fruit trees and berry bushes for next year. Timber producing trees are all planted also. Pond and mushroom depo will start next year. Zone 1 is all done. Thanks to everyone who gave me some advice. I will continue adapting the project as time goes by.

Attached Files:

2. Veganbill

Veganbill Junior Member

3. annette

annette Junior Member

Looks good Bill. I like how you have the ducks near the orchard. Letting the ducks in there when it is established will help with pest control.

4. Veganbill

Veganbill Junior Member

Update! Planted all my Italian alders and 12 bay leaf trees (laurel) on the eastern wall with the paulownias and added 12 pineus pinea along that edge line. I also added 2 tillia cordata in zone 1 for human foraging and added 4 St Lucy trees (mahlep). Also added 2 maples (Acer negundo) to zone 2 to partially shade the future pond. I was extremely fascinated at the frankia bacteria root nodules that I found on the roots of my baby alder trees before I planted them. I had seen same thing on my silverberries last week but the alders nodules were impressive. My land is covered with vetch right now and you can find a ladybug every square feet. That makes me happy. Next week I will plant kiwis, grapes and chestnuts! Wish me luck

5. sweetpea

sweetpea Junior Member

Hi, Bill, wow, lots of wonderful trees and plants! It will be an amazing place. Nice drawings, I should probably do mine on computer, because every time I scribble something on paper I lose it or it goes through the washing machine! So I guess you decided not to mix up the plantings, and spread the acacias and nitrogen fixers in among the fruit trees so their roots could benefit from the nitrogen nodules? I only mention this because if I had known about a food forest when I did my orchard, I would have planted in triads of nitrogen fixer/fruit tree/flowering shrub or fruit bush, with annuals at their bases. Because I put all the apples here, and all the apricots there, and all the berries over there, they aren't helping each other the way they are supposed to in a food forest, so now I have to retrofit my plantings, but things are mature, and it's too late for somethings, and way too much work for others. The sections I've mixed up I am so impressed with, and have much less insect damage. :)