My open source Biochar maker - The GIBBR Project

Discussion in 'Designing, building, making and powering your life' started by bazman, Mar 9, 2011.

1. bazman

bazman Junior Member

Hi All

I have been talking about open sourcing my home Biochar making system for quite some time, I have finally put the plans for my system on my blog, it's still early days and it's not a formal open source project, I'm just wacking up my plans free for anyone to look at. And if anyone is interested we can develop and refine the system together.

The GIBBR project >>>>

It's called the GIBBR project (Gas Ignition Biochar Batch Reactor) the idea is to have a system which creates no smoke, no sparks and can be used during the dry season. The design is on going and I still have many ideas to add.

I'm sure you will also get a good laugh reading my completely over the top warnings too.

If your near Brisbane and want to eyeball the system if your interested please feel free to message me as I'm always happy to show off the system, but be warned a garden tour maybe included....:D

Baz

2. purplepear

purplepear Junior Member

Farm manager/ educator
    Home Page:
    Climate:
    warm temperate - some frost - changing every year
    I see you have built in an artificial intelligence well done.

3. bazman

bazman Junior Member

Love those typos... fixed, thanks.

4. eco4560

eco4560 New Member

Still wondering if you get a water jacket around it and use that heat somehow... Or do you need that much temperature to do the job?

Seeing it during your talk at Perm Noosa was enough to scare the daylights out of me! It might be something that would be useful to have one amongst a group of neighbours to share.

5. bazman

bazman Junior Member

You don't want to take any heat from the main chamber but you can get plenty of heat for the outer exhaust, this can run at 400d c + easy.

If you have access to a boiler maker that would make life easier, Using an old hot water system's inner steel chamber can save a lot of messing around. Not all hot water systems used steel so you would have to look around for one.

Yeah it's quite a little beast when running.

If you just want to play with Biochar on a small scale in an urban backyard you could build a small very cheap TLUD gasification Biochar stove. Lots of plans around for those.

Construction Plans for the “Champion-2008” TLUD Gasifier Cookstove
    https://www.bioenergylists.org/files/Construction Plans 2009-03-11.pdf

6. Pakanohida

Pakanohida Junior Member

Thank you for the heads up Bazam! Here I am building small fires and smothering them with manure or something else and working it in old school into the soil. I have been planning to make a biochar unit for myself for some experiments, now you gave me more to read up on like I don't have enough to do! ;)

7. adrians

adrians Junior Member

we now have a proposed carbon price.

I have some piles of sticks, branches and other timber which won't really work for heating my house.
    Rather than have bonfires, perhaps I should be making biochar for my vegies and fruits. - we're talking lots , piles ~2m high.

Baz... a very honorable thing to post your plans. Thankyou so much for sharing them.
    A few questions.. I've seen some ultra basic plans which involve fill one smaller drum with material, putting a larger drum over it, and turning the whole lot upside down on a few bricks.
    Do you have any comments on this idea, and whether you think it's an idea to get started?

8. adrians

adrians Junior Member

hey baz, any chance of taking a look at your system some time before I embark on one of my own?
    I'm hoping I can do away with the gas and just go with a small fire underneath, your thoughts?

9. bazman

bazman Junior Member

You could make a tlud gasifier as a starting project to help with your understanding of pyrolysis and gasification. Like the one that exploded... :D

I have thought about putting a gasifier in place of the LPG system, but that will be a while off before I take that idea on. Fires can be messy and hard to control with smoke and sparks etc.. But it would work.

Yeah sure, just PM me.