My Grand Plan

Discussion in 'Planting, growing, nurturing Plants' started by LucyJane, Jul 3, 2005.

1. LucyJane

LucyJane Junior Member

Hi,

I've just stumbled on this forum and it looks great... I currently live half way between brisbane and the gold coast and I work in the gold coast hinterland.

Since working on an organic farm in Laos I've come up with my own dream... I really want to start up my own permaculture education farm back in South Australia. I'm hoping it will basically be a working farm but the main business is an environmental education centre, mainly for young people but for general public as well. It will use the farm to explain to kids about natural processes, ecosystems and sustainability and generally be a beautiful place for kids to learn, and see where food comes from.

It seems like a far off dream and I don't really have much experience in planning a farm. I'm writing a business plan at the moment but it's so hard to look at even basic costings to see if it's a viable project.

Do any of you know of any places that sound similar? or have any ideas on how I can see if it is viable? I would love to hear your ideas...

Thanks

Lucy

2. abendroth85

abendroth85 New Member

Education Permaculture Sites

I just stumbled across a site when I meant to go the PRI site, it may be of interest to you. https://www.permaculture.com.au

3. desmondies

desmondies New Member

Hello LucyJane, you might want to have a look at the Permaforest Trust in Barkers Vale in Northern NSW. Their web site is https://www.permaforesttrust.org.au. The web site explains what they do so i wont go into it. They might be able to help you out with more information. I am heading there at the end of the month to study with them for the next year. Good luck with getting everything together for your new project

Des.

4. Chook Nut

Chook Nut Junior Member

Hi Lucy,

Welcome to the forum... here is a successful Permaculture property in Gawler SA... https://www.users.bigpond.com/brookman/

They recently won a state award for their efforts... they may be a good contact for u... its not a bad website either...

Dave

5. urbanpermasuccess

urbanpermasuccess Junior Member

6. LucyJane

LucyJane Junior Member

Thanks very much for all of your suggestions... most of those properties I've had a good look at over the net. I'm hoping to get to Nimbin on Thursday to check out Djanbung gardens.

Most of these places have courses and activities for adults educating them in permaculture methods... Does anyone know if anywhere exists that it focussed on kids?

Do you think it would be of an interest to the general school population? Any teachers out there? It's difficult to find out if this kind of business is viable when there aren't many examples about.

Thanks for your help,

Lucy

7. Richard on Maui

Richard on Maui Junior Member

Have you visited Northey St City Farm, in WIndsor? When I was there they had programs for people of all ages at different times. I think they worked with schools quite a bit. They may have some good ideas for you, and in general it is a cool place if you haven't been.