My First Compost, whats wrong?

Discussion in 'Planting, growing, nurturing Plants' started by DanD, May 31, 2011.

1. Ellen

Ellen Junior Member

Hi Paula, I saw your reaction on this thread. We are still waiting to hear from you about your coming to Namibia in September. Can you pls send a mail? Thanks!

2. Fernando Pessoa

Fernando Pessoa Junior Member

The dusty stuff is burning, of ash.It is a good indication that you have to much nitrogen and it is heating your pile to the point of combustion and extinction .No worthy bacteria are found above about 65 degree celcius..
    Mycelium is not found in super heated thermophylic(spelling) piles until they have lowered and cured to the mesophylic(spelling) range 26 degrees or lower.
    It is(mycelium) a web like and semi elastic strand and unless the material that is ash like is similar I would say reduce your nitro input and turn more frequently.
    Of course this is pure conjecture.......
    Best wishes Fernando

3. Nick Ritar

Nick Ritar Junior Member

4. sweetpea

sweetpea Junior Member

I agree with Grahame about keeping it moist. First thing to check is whether it's wet enough, almost shiny. Keep it covered so it won't dry out, especially if you are turning it so much. You really need to wait until the temp drops before you turn it. But compost that just sits there isn't wet enough. You can also speed it up by putting it under pressure, put blocks, logs, posts on top of the plastic cover to weigh it down :)