my chooks thank you.............with there livesssssssss

Discussion in 'Planting, growing, nurturing Plants' started by lillypilly, Aug 22, 2005.

1. lillypilly

lillypilly Junior Member

i have been meaning for weeks to thank who ever say porrage is great for cooks to start laying. we have been geting egg ever since the week i started at mth or so a go............ we also had two 94gm doudle yolk very yummy eggs as well. couldn't find the topic that this was on. thanks again... have added sunflower seeds and lime to there diet which i think is helping as well. any ideas to keep mice/rat out of the hen house.............

2. Tezza

Tezza Junior Member

Porridge ..Well Well Well Never new that........
    Q1 Do you cook it first
    Q2 brown or white suger to flavour
    Q4 How much porridge do u feed them is it expensive
    Q3 How much lime do you add
    Sunflowers are good for chooks

Tezza

3. lillypilly

lillypilly Junior Member

well tezza, beening winter we are eatting porridge every morn with cimmon and nutmeg yummy and a little honey. we make a bit more then we need to eat and feed the rest to the chookies. a bout a small tea cup between three. the cost is just over a $1 for 1kg. it seem to work there were no eggs then there three....... it seem to give them a bit more life as well.. :lol:

4. sweetpea

sweetpea Junior Member

I was curious about the porridge, and I found the entry about it:

================

clonte

Posted: Mon Jun 20, 2005 12:51 pm Post subject:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

hi dawn

try giving your chooks some shell grit as well, as they may not still be getting enough calcuim. also did you give them growers pellets when they were younger? apparently they have a higher protien content for growing chooks. also try giving them warm mash made from bran and pollard or oats(cheap quick oats will do) and some molasis. that will warm them up and maybe that will help them to lay. have they a warm spot out of the wind?

clonte