My chicks were taken

Discussion in 'Breeding, Raising, Feeding and Caring for Animals' started by permup, Oct 28, 2010.

1. permup

permup Junior Member

Our bantam decided it was clucky, so I bought some fertilised Barnevelder eggs, put them under her, and presto, 3 new chicks (out of 6 eggs). Not too bad. I made a cage, placed it on the ground so mum and babies could learn how to scratch, small chicken wire all over it, a nice dry place etc. Day 1, 1 chick missing - no sign of entry anywhere - chick just gone. Day 2, next 2 chicks gone (small hole under cage). What could have taken them? We do have a few rats around. Could they have done this?

Very saddened.

2. paradisi

paradisi Junior Member

rats can
    blue tongues will
    snakes will
    kookaburras will
    magpies will try

3. permup

permup Junior Member

Hmm, scratch marks in the dirt burrowing under the cage indicate either rats or a blue tongue then.

4. sun burn

sun burn Junior Member

Give shade cloth a go next time, though I don't know if one of those creatures might be serious enough to eat through the shadecloth. Perhaps keep the family in a shed or even the house! And bury the wire and shade cloth in the ground about one foot.

5. purplepear

purplepear Junior Member

Farm manager/ educator
    Home Page:
    Climate:
    warm temperate - some frost - changing every year
    Sorry for your loss Paula

6. Burra Maluca

Burra Maluca Junior Member

We ended up making 'cages' with a box and built in run with a lift off lit and totally covered in mesh too small for snakes to fit through, even underneath. It's the only thing that keeps chicks and eggs safe 24 hours a day around here. We seem to have an amazing variety of predators - things that wriggle through tiny gaps, things that dig, things that climb walls, things that fly and attack from above, things that are large and heavy enough to flatten flimsy cages and fences, things that are intelligent enough to open catches and lift lids...

7. pippimac

pippimac Junior Member

burra, your wildlife sounds...interesting. In a scary, sci-fi/horror kind of way!
    Warning, rant ahead!
    We've got stoats (introduced, like all the other nightmares round here): bloodthirsty, mass-murderers of things. They're the only animal I've come across that will slaughter all the chicks/ducklings/goslings they can, then leave the corpses uneaten.
    When I was a kid, one massacred my ducklings in the middle of the night and I beat it to death with a piece of 4x2. Ah, the innocence of childhood.
    permup, I won't suggest it's a stoat, or there'd be bloody evidence. One of your Aussie beasties by the sound of it.
    My mum just had her chicks and ducklings killed by a stoat, and I'm itching for a 4x2.
    End rant.

8. LindaA

LindaA New Member

Could it have been a quolle? I hear they like the chooks and are very eager. Underground chickenwire laid flat off the fence and buried a few cms underground might help. cheers and good luck.