My chickens are crazy

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself Here' started by pagan, Feb 11, 2011.

1. pagan

pagan New Member

Hi!

I'm a newbie on this site and live in Melbourne, where I am a proud owner of 4 chickens. They are Isa browns and delightful except...they are obsessed with me! I have a red heeler and he is petrified of them because they stalk me so badly. One of them is trying to peck her way through the window and is not below flying up and nabbing a sandwich from my hands. I love my girls but HELP - are they trainable????:sweat:
    I love them dearly but they have no boundaries. They are happy to nab a sandwich from my hands and are obviously so well fed now that they won't even eat a zucchini! Help - can they be trained???:sweat:

2. ebunny

ebunny Junior Member

Hi Pagan

I think we'd all agree that chickens just are crazy, but that's why we love them. But I do hear you're talking about a different type of crazy, perhaps the "driving me crazy" kind....

We have three breeds and its the Isa Browns that follow me around. We free ranged them for about 8 months whilst we built a big run for them and during that time, whenever we would go outside, they would leap up to get at food. Once they were in the run, they would still follow me around and dig at my feet whenever I got down on the ground. The other breeds are much more cautious but I quite like the Isa Browns for their familiarity actually. But the answer for us was having an area where they are and where they aren't (and you are with a sandwich in your hand). Others may know better, but I haven't heard they can be trained.

3. pagan

pagan New Member

Thanks ebunny. I hear you re their obsessive nature around humans is somehow super endearing, albeit frustrating when you are trying to walk across the garden without treading on them! I think the pen idea is a good idea. I had originally penned them up and just free ranged them at night, but I thought I would give it a go with permanent free ranging...it's not going to work. Funnily though, as if they knew i was thinking about free ranging them, one of them popped on my outside couch while I was reading a book today and just snuggled in...awwww...now I feel guilty for complain about them.

4. ebunny

ebunny Junior Member

Aww - a chicken that snuggles. How can you be mad at them?? Maybe they could just free range once a week and that day you don't eat sandwiches outside??

5. sun burn

sun burn Junior Member

Just wondering, do you think if you fed them more food they would pester you less? I am sure their behaviour is not affection but wanting food. I have noticed that while my chickens are not affectionate, they will run around after me and when they think i have food will run fast for a long way to be near me.

HOw much are you feeding them?

6. purplepear

purplepear Junior Member

Farm manager/ educator
    Home Page:
    Climate:
    warm temperate - some frost - changing every year
    I've found my Isa browns are a bottomless pit. They can have just finished a huge meal and still run at you when you come near, begging for something you might have.

7. Pixie Feral

Pixie Feral Junior Member

Could that be said for all chickens because our 4 australorps do the same thing. They can have just been fed and as soon as they here the screen door open (on the house, not on the run) they are running to the gate for more food.

Are the Isa browns likely to hurt little children as my sons love going into the run and "talking" to our girls now?

8. Mudman

Mudman Junior Member

Good luck training your chooks.
    We let ours free range in the afternoon, a couple of hours a day and they love it.
    The Isa Browns seem very agressive to our other chooks when it comes to food.
    Just eat when they are not there and they will be fine with the kids, they'll just get their feet pecked but will toughen up in time :)
    Kurt