mushroom for home gardener in se OLD?

Discussion in 'Planting, growing, nurturing Plants' started by hedwig, Sep 4, 2006.

1. hedwig

hedwig Junior Member

is there a good internet source for growing mushrooms here in the subtropics? Were do you purchase the mycel? I lended a book from the library, but they had only a fat book, 400 pages or so, really too much!

2. Ev

Ev Junior Member

I read some Paul Stamets books and checked his web site, he is the man
    I think the 400 page book you saw would probably have been by him, interesting reading get into it!

3. Loris

Loris Junior Member

Best to start with one of the mushroom kits in a box that you can pick up from hardware. When months are warmer, try getting some old mushroom compost from a commercial farm and I have grown hundreds of mushrooms from the spores left in this compost during wet and warm weather. And then the spores kind of infect the garden if you are lucky.
    My mother used to peel the skin and stalks of mushrooms off when preparing them and then throw these plus any off mushrooms in a certain spot of the lawn and watch for mushrooms in this spot during wet weather. Bit haphazard but doesn't cost anything to try and she did OK like that.

4. grease

grease Junior Member

5. FREE Permaculture

FREE Permaculture Junior Member

yeah mushrooms are great! :)
    although the kits at hardware stores aren't value for money IMO
    there is already lots of info been posted, try these two exsisting threads and maybe you can find the info you need.

https://forums.permaculture.org.au/viewtopic.php?t=429
    https://forums.permaculture.org.au/viewtopic.php?t=2105

funkyfungus no longer posts to this forum but you can join in here for all you want to know..
    https://www.ethnobotany-australia.net/co ... /index.php

good luck with them, i found you almost need a degree in science to grow them succesfully but i'm sure if your keen, you'll have a megga crop of shrooms, when i was in holland i used to buy them in packs of three :lol:
    then go for a walk and spin out at windmills and stuff :lol:

6. hedwig

hedwig Junior Member

I had a look on the pages and think I first have to read a book.
    My husband bought 2 mushroom kits yet and he did not have much succes, so I thought maybe I would be luckyer with this and he should stay with his compost and with the earth worms.
    The pages seemed a bit for experts to me.

7. smithycliffy

smithycliffy New Member

hi peoples if noticed the mushroom kits you buy at the shops are made from spent mushroom compost .i no this because i grew mushrooms commercialy for 12 years .i am currently investigation producing kits useing new compost for a simmalar price if not a little cheaper if anyone is interseted email me and i will get back to u if you are suppled a good kit mushrooms are quite easy to grow. all kits will be supplied with easy to follow instructions. and u will even have a number to call me on if u have anytroubles with ur kit.u willl produce about 3 kg of mushrooms over a 8 -12 week period .