Murray, We need an almanac.

Discussion in 'The big picture' started by ho-hum, Mar 8, 2008.

1. ho-hum

ho-hum New Member

Murray,

We [being presumtuous] need an almanac of permie activity.

My reason for asking this is that often our activities are determined by time, religion, belief, education etc etc.

I believe a forum like this would work is because here we are at mid february and it is the only window I have for planting parsnips [that is if it works] but I can plant strawberries now and do well. I live tropical. I can also plant roma tomatoes now and do well.

I ask because often we permies work on 'tried and true' which may well be wrong. We are also inclined to work on 'back of packet' info which also may well be wrong for our situation. I believe we should set up an almanac for what works for us in our situation.

This subject is long overdue and is relevant across the seasons across the globe.

The new heading should reflect what people are planting where and now. It should not reflect 'what we were gonna do' type stuff.

For example, if I am going to plant onion seed in february - which is unlikely to work. Forum members can look at my lat/long/alt/situation and perhaps make it work for them.

It would also work with egg production, fruit cycles, pruning ideas etc. I believe I would have relevancy across the top of NT, WA and QLD. It should also have relevancy across Kenya, parts of Brasil, Mexico, Ecuador, Venezuela, Belize etc.

Notable contributors to the system like Chris, Jez and Tropical Rose also work for our zone. Other zones have other contributors ie SueinWA may fit with Pebble or RichardA.

There are any number of temperate permies and Jeff is doing well with the desert stuff.

If we confine our 'daily diary' type stuff to a thread which reflects our circumstance then members can apply their situation to what others are trying and doing.

cheers,

cheers,

2. murray

murray Junior Member

ah.. i'm not entirely sure how i can help as yet.. :)

tell me what i can do?

3. dylanz

dylanz Junior Member

ho-hum... are you referring to the possibility of a wiki... or a more detailed profile page ?

ive always thought a climate based wiki would be good... for example, if you look up "tomatoes"... then there would be general info... and also specific sections for each climate type.

or... more in depth profiles... or blogs for members ?

4. effigyoffaith

effigyoffaith Junior Member

+1

5. milifestyle

milifestyle New Member

... I like the idea of the "more detailed profile page".

6. murray

murray Junior Member

so 2 votes for wiki and 1 for more detailed profile page.

btw: i'm about to upgrade this board to phpBB3, so i'm sure that will be a lot more flexible with the profile information you'll be able to store. that should happen later this week, so you'll have to forgive me if the board goes offline for a couple of hours at some point.

m

7. milifestyle

milifestyle New Member

... yeah phpBB3 is good. A LOT different in functionality compared to the old 2.x versions.

I installed one a couple of weeks ago on one of my sites, but still setting it up at this stage.