Mouldboard plough for making swales?

Discussion in 'Designing, building, making and powering your life' started by Nick Ritar, Oct 25, 2007.

1. Nick Ritar

Nick Ritar Junior Member

I was wondering if anyone had experience using a mouldboard plough to make swales?

[​IMG]

I was thinking that you could run the plough repeatedly over the same contour in the same direction to create a classic swale profile. Perhaps you might need to rip first.

I am sure this must have been tried or discounted before.

Anyone care to comment?

Nick

2. gardenlen

gardenlen Group for banned users

g'day nick,

if that's the way you want to go or if that is the piece of equipemnt that is ther to do the job without going to extra expense. not sure you could call it the classic copy book swale though? and each time you pass the tractor will be adding to compaction.

might be ok if you use only a single tyne maybe?

len

3. mossbackfarm

mossbackfarm Junior Member

Hi Nick

I think it was in an old copy of the Permaculture Activist (not online) that I saw someone swaling with draft horses and a moldboard plow...they covered lots of ground in a short time. I think it would work great, if your soil was already loose enough to turn. If it wasn't, rippers / yeomans plow / etc would be necessary to loosen things up first.

Whichever approach you choose, post a video of the process!

Cheers

Rich

4. Nick Ritar

Nick Ritar Junior Member

If i get a chance i will definitely post a video...

cheers

nick

5. gardenlen

gardenlen Group for banned users

maybe ther are other alternatives to consider ie.,. rows of hay/straw bales, rows of piled up sladhed grass, plant tall tuffted grasses in rows all along contours, lay rows of debris branches etc.,. or the one that worked well for us simply use a single ripper to rip along contours this opens up for oxygen allows water down into the sub soil easier, is not a permanent visible feature of the landscape, they can be as permanent or temporary as you like.

trees planted inthe rip lines grew better and quicker.

len

6. bazman

bazman Junior Member

I use a three point linkage grader blade after a few rip passes, I'm a real fan of this process now, if you are doing a long swale you can just re-angle the blade and travel back, beats dead trips due to only being able to plow in one direction.

If it works for you, do it.