more shit questions

Discussion in 'Breeding, Raising, Feeding and Caring for Animals' started by helenlee, Aug 24, 2010.

1. helenlee

helenlee Junior Member

I posted this in the planting/growing/nurturing forum without success & thought I'd try my luck here.

I can't seem to find the right words to google to get the info I need on this.
    Anyone here have the answers for me please?

*How many days after worming my sheep with Alben is the drug active in their maure? Alben contains albendazole, a member of the benzimidazole family of drenches. It's broad spectrum, short acting & ovicidal.

*How do I manage the post drench manure? Can it be added to compost or used for mulch after being aged?

Thanks guys ...

2. permup

permup Junior Member

Hi Helen,

I have never kept sheep, so I've never drenched one, but your question did make me wonder whether there were natural alternatives to drenching rather than using chemicals that you then have a problem disposing of. I found https://www.agriculturalsolutions.com.au/pdf/HO14 - SHEEPKEL.pdf this on the web which looked really interesting. It might be worth checking out for future? Sorry I can't answer your question though.

Paula.

3. ecodharmamark

ecodharmamark Junior Member

G'day Helen

Concerning your first question:

ALBEN BROAD SPECTRUM ANTHELMINTIC FOR SHEEP, LAMBS AND GOATS: 10 (days) WHP

The withholding period (WHP) is the minimum period which must elapse between last administration or application of a veterinary chemical product, including treated feed, and the slaughter, collection, harvesting or use of the animal commodity for human consumption. WHPs are mandatory for domestic slaughter and are on the label of every registered product...

Of course, the above only applies to the manure (or any other 'commodity' of the sheep in question) if you are going to 'consume' it.

Source: APVMA - Export Slaughter Intervals (ESI) and Withholding Periods (WHP) of veterinary chemicals for use in sheep

As to the residual effects of the Alben on 'non-target fauna', ie. 'dung beetles':

Faecal residues or metabolites of drugs belonging to the benzimidazole and levamisole/morantel groups are relatively harmless to dung fauna, on the contrary to other anthelmintics such as coumaphos, dichlorvos, phenothiazine, piperazine, synthetic pyrethroids, and most macrocyclic lactones which have been shown to be highly toxic for dung beetles (abamectin, ivermectin, eprinomectin, doramectin), among which moxidectin was the less toxic for dung beetles. To date, the detrimental impact upon non-target organisms has been considered acceptable in eradicating the parasites because of their economic importance to commercial livestock production. The consequences of routine treatments are discussed with consideration of the long-term consequences for cow pat fauna and sustainable pastureland ecology...

Source: Use of anthelmintics in herbivores and evaluation of risks for the non target fauna of pastures

Not sure if the following advice on the 'label' helps, or if it is even relevant to your second question:

...sheep should not be placed on clean pasture until 6-hours after drenching...

Source: Alben - label

Cheerio, Markos.

4. helenlee

helenlee Junior Member

Hi permup ... most of the time I use alternative preventatives/management/treatment for all my animals - but sometimes in some situations, the consequences of not using commercial chemicals are not acceptable to me. So far, this includes paralysis tick prevention on 2 dogs (& last summer I ended up resorting to an oral medication for fleas for all of them as well when it got too darn uncomfortable) & targeted drenching with commercial drench for the sheep. I ended up loosing a couple of lambs to barbers pole worm last year & I have a young ram & a young ewe that are still showing signs of anemia in spite of my best efforts with alternative stuff now. The truth is ... I shouldn't have sheep up here ... the rainfall is just too high & management of parasites is a loosing battle. I had hoped selecting for worm resistance/slashing/paddock rotation & feeding copper/sulphur/cayenne/garlic/wormwood/kelp etc would be enough to make sheep do-able... but I think I'm just delaying the inevitable now. I sold my Romneys & coloured sheep & I only have a few English Leicesters left (they are a rare & endangered breed - especially up I here I usually add!) & I'm reluctant to give up on them.

Markos ... you must have a degree in research I think :) You always come up with the best stuff! Now that you found it for me - I think one of the reasons I chose Alben in the first place was that it doesn't wipe out the dung beetles.

...sheep should not be placed on clean pasture until 6-hours after drenching...

This has been traditional practice ... you worm them, leave them in the yards or in a "dirty" paddock until they shit out all the worms & eggs, & then move them to a "clean" paddock. Yesterday I was reading some recent stuff about drench resistance & worms in "refugia" & the new advice is to leave the drenched animals on the dirty paddock so that they aren't shitting out the worms that survived the drench all together in one paddock to breed lots of little drench resistant parasites. If the resistant worms are excreted into a paddock with the susceptible worms ... they keep crossing & the % of resistant worms doesn't increase. That's the advice this week anyway. Not sure if you wanted to know all that ... :)
    Thanks for taking the time out of your day to do the research for me :)

5. helenlee

helenlee Junior Member

permup ... I use kelp & organic unpasturized cider vingear on the sheep. I mix it up with molasses so it doesn't make steam come out of their ears! I've used all this stuff for years on horses/dogs/cattle with great success in drier climates, but this is just impossible up here. Last year especially, when it didn't stop raining all year & we had 7 floods, the parasite burden was just insane & it's not much better now. I think I need to re-home my darling Leicesters & direct my energy towards battles I have a chance of winning. Sniff sniff.

6. ecodharmamark

ecodharmamark Junior Member

You're most welcome, Helen. All part of the 'returning the surplus' services we provide here in Mandala Town...

Now, I must get back to the books... =-

7. andrew curr

andrew curr Moderator

whatsort of liecesters are they the wormwoods willhelp

8. Michaelangelica

Michaelangelica Junior Member

Sweet Annie Artemesia annua is used for worms including the malaria parasite,
    It is a common Chinese and American weed. I grew it last year for the first time and don't know if it will self seed. It seems to prefer a colder climate than mine. It contains about 6-8 chemicals that work synergistically to kill worms
    Most Artemesias are worm -killers

You might find the book "Herbal Handbook for Farm and Stable" by Juliette de bair Levey a good investment. If you have animals it will save you a lot of money in vet. bills and chemicals.

9. helenlee

helenlee Junior Member

Hi Andrew ... they're English Leicesters ... the ones with the long curls ... they came from a stud near Seymour in Victoria. I'll try the wormwood.

Hi Michaelangelica ... I'll try Sweet Annie also ... do you know of any nurseries around here that might have these plants? I have to go into Coffs Harbour in the not too distant future ... anything there that you know of?

10. Michaelangelica

Unlikely, although ground cover wormwood and tree wormwood should be available cheaply; I got my SA seed from the states, Horizon Herbs I think.

I like the name Artemesia, named after the moon goddess. The plants 'glow' at night, especially in moonlight.
    Good to put on/around outdoor pathways used at night.
    I have put a couple on a public walkway near-by for the council to mow and kill. I'll try again when I score some cuttings.

11. milifestyle

milifestyle New Member

12. milifestyle

milifestyle New Member

Gee google are quick these days...

I googled "alben active in sheep manure" and this thread came up as number 1... :clap:

... not that that will help me much... like a do chasing its tail... :D

13. helenlee

helenlee Junior Member

Hi milifestyle ... I checked out the link & yeah, only the info from the pack which I already have ... BUT ... having several dogs, I checked out the products for dogs pages ... & THAT was worth the effort!!!
    Anyone who wants a smile should check out the SNAKE REPELLER (I kid you not) @ $134.10 (recommends "2 or more units to get the best results"!).

Stop them now before they get established around your home.
    Sentinel Electronic Snake Repeller will help protect your home and loved ones from these potentially deadly creatures.
    Sentinel © will stand guard and protect your home day and night
    While you and your loved ones rest and play.

& the POO POD (WTF?) Petite Pink @ $15.30 or Large Green @ $17.55

No wonder we're all going to hell in a hand basket :)

14. andrew curr

andrew curr Moderator

geoff at PRI uses what he calls mugwort which is an artemesia i think im just starting to breed /upgrade some coopworth /border liecesters
    keepin touch i could use some english L genetic material {i intend to breed asmall flock of composite british long wools to be able to cross with my merinos} let me know how they handle summer
    i have heaps of a prostrate artemesiaif u want some

15. andrew curr

andrew curr Moderator

now is the best time to strike artemesia (isnt she a beautifulname)

16. helenlee

helenlee Junior Member

Hi Andrew,

If the stuff you have works I want some ... let me know how much $ you want & also how much postage would be.

The English Leicesters handled the heat fine last year. I sheared (is that the word - sheared? shore? shored?????) them myself in September I think. They also handled the pouring rain - for weeks on end - with no problem. No foot rot, no fleece rot.
    They have been absolutely fine with everything & I love them, they are very quiet & very beautiful to look at. It's the ticks & worms with the lambs that was the problem. I spent a fortune on vets bills & still ended up loosing several lambs. This year I think the ewe's are all in lamb to the Romeny ram I just sold, so I'm hoping that some sort of hybrid vigor might give the lambs the edge.
    I'm still thinking of selling them due to my ongoing lack of a man to do the fencing & slashing etc. It's just hopeless for me to have the fleeces so full of vegetable matter - I use them for spinning & felting & it takes far too long to get them clean to be worth my while. I also feel I owe it to the sheep to send them somewhere there are no paralysis ticks - I've already had to put back liner on them a few days ago after finding paralysis ticks on them. Let me know if you're interested. I have 3 registered ewe's, 1 registered ram & 1 ewe lamb from last year who isn't registered but is registerable.

17. andrew curr

andrew curr Moderator

ill send u some
    and i probably would be interested in the sheep!

ineed apostal address
    my e address is [email protected]
    ilike the idea of felting merino felts well i could get u heaps
    peace on
    andrew

18. helenlee

helenlee Junior Member

Clean merino wool with a half decent staple length would be very welcome here :)
    I don't suppose you're on facebook are you? I have some photos of my felting & my sheep on my page if you'd like to see them ... I should upload them here ... but it takes so long. My facebook thingy is Helen Cairns ... same photo as my profile pic here. Send me a friend request if you're on there?
    My email is helen.cairnsathotmail.com with the at as @ obviously.

I don't suppose you know anyone who wants to sell a drum carder for not much? :) That would be handy.

I live half an hour out of Bowraville ... an hour from Macksville. I'll give you the directions if you're coming out here.

(isnt she a beautifulname)

Artemesia is very definitely a beautiful name. And given that it is derived from Artemis, the moon goddess, "she" is most appropriate :)

19. Michaelangelica

Drum carder:_
    Probaly heaps in Eco's neck of the woods--heavily into sheep, over the ditch, did you know?
    try this
    https://sites.google.com/site/handspinweavesa/for-sale
    or
    https://www.ioffer.com/i/fancy-kitty-kitten-72-90-medium-drum-carder-109665332
    or
    https://www.craftalley.com.au/store/WsDefault.asp?One=179
    You could also put a'wanted' add in the buy sell forums here although not a lot of action there of late. just 'bump' it occasionally or stick it ( i mean the post).

20. helenlee

helenlee Junior Member

eco's heavily into sheep & over the ditch?
    really?
    Well you learn something new everyday ....