Moon Gardening Calender

Discussion in 'Planting, growing, nurturing Plants' started by lovingmygarden, Sep 8, 2009.

1. lovingmygarden

lovingmygarden Junior Member

Has any one used this method of gardening and if so could you please tell me what sort of sucess you had or do not have with it. It sounds interesting.
    thanksheaps
    lovingmygarden :D

2. eco4560

eco4560 New Member

Re: Moon Gardening Calender

There also appear to be different schools of moon calendar gardening. I have a Steiner one and it says different things to the one in the BHG magazine.

Is there a better approach between the schools?

I had plans to try to use the Steiner approach, but I have to garden when I have the time, so if that means planting on the full moon then I'm planting on the full moon.

3. Grahame

Grahame Senior Member

Hey lovin,

I've never done actual scientifically rigorous (or even scientifically non-rigorous) testing, but this year I planted a lot of garlic. Some on the Biodynamic planting calendar, some on a different calendar I get in poster form and some just any old time because I had to get them in. The Biodynamic moon phase ones are actually significantly bigger than the others. And interestingly many of the cloves I planted only 2 hours early just didn't sprout, whilst some from the same batch I planted two hours later in the suggested time and they did a lot better. So no science but from what I've seen this year I'm pretty keen to follow the biodynamic calendar. The ones planted according to the poster calendar are also a bit better looking than the ones planted any old time.

Cheers

Grahame

4. gbell

gbell Junior Member

Fascinating Grahame! Which calendar did you go by?

5. Grahame

Grahame Senior Member

Gbell, I used the times suggested in the Biodynamic Growing magazine. The magazine comes out twice a year and is a really good resource...

https://www.bdgrowing.com

6. gemjill

gemjill Junior Member

G'day
    I do try to follow the moon planting guide - pruning with the waning moon, and planting out. I have noticed with planting stronger plants when planted accordingly.
    Altho I also just bung stuff in 'cos I've got the chance to.
    It also provides a handy 'structure' to gardening, especially when I was a real beginner. The one I use is from a mob in Queensland and it is also very pretty with other astrological information (if you're into that sort of thing).
    cheers

7. lovingmygarden

lovingmygarden Junior Member

Thank you to all of you have replied.
    It sounds quite intriguing, so I might give it a whirl and see what sort of difference it will make to my garden. I`m normally just a random planter and do ok, but I`m open to trying something a bit different, especialyif I get some good results.
    Thanks all and happy gardening
    Lovingmygarden