Monsanto attacks Permaculture & Organics

Discussion in 'News from around the damp planet' started by Michaelangelica, Aug 30, 2010.

1. DonHansford

DonHansford Junior Member

Hi Grahame
    I live in one of those districts. "Why don't they stop what they are doing?"
    It's all they know ... I know that's sad, but they don't get 'out and about' like we do! They are (often enough) too busy working a 7am - 5pm job in town for sh!t wages, then trying to fit some farm chores in before dark, then doing Amway, or Avon, or something in the evening, all trying to meet next months' interest bill on the overdraft they took out fifteen years ago (on the advise of a "financial advisor - owned by the bank) - to keep the farm afloat ... etc ...etc... etc! The problem (at least around here) is that most of them DO NOT HAVE $50 TO SPARE to try some "left field" idea, even if they recognise that it is the only way they can survive! The bank will only loan money for chemical and "proven" seed, not airy-fairy trees and koalas. We need (as a movement), to start working on the forces that are stopping the small farmers from aligning with us, not wasting time beating our breasts against those who will never, and can never, change

2. pebble

pebble Junior Member

Climate:
    Inland maritime/hot/dry/frosty
    In NZ apparently it's even worse than that for many farmers. They've got so much debt now that they can't afford to not farm and sell to the man, unless they want to walk off the land. And land is astronomically expensive there now. I think this has something to do with children now being expected to buy farms from their parents whereas in the past they inherited them. But also there are the farmers who wanted to get rich and so borrowed massively to shift from a family farm to a big business farm and are now stuck with the debts. I think it's very complex and some farmers have alot of choice whereas others have very little.

3. Michaelangelica

Michaelangelica Junior Member

[video=youtube;eZkDikRLQrw]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eZkDikRLQrw&feature=channel[/video]
    Murdock /Monsanto and the truth

4. milifestyle

milifestyle New Member

Great stuff Michael...

5. andrew curr

andrew curr Moderator

carefull witch tribe

i suspect there are care permaculturalists now with us whoCAN out yield the big boys

6. CraigMackintosh

CraigMackintosh *****

7. Michaelangelica

[​IMG]
    Why indeed?

thanks for the link
    Lord Sainsbury, an establishment apologist, was doing the same, talking up GM.
    I have some sympathy for his approach, his heart seems in the right place. His research in/on GM is more directed at crop improvement rather than gouging more money out of the system/people.

I do hope their PR/spin people have kept this out of the press?

8. Michaelangelica

Learn more about some of the details of the case by watching video of Dan Ravicher speaking at the National Heirloom Expo in Santa Rosa, California. Dan is the Executive Director of the Public Patent Foundation and a lecturer in law at Benjamin N. Cardozo School of Law. https://www.pubpat.org/

Monsanto’s motion to dismiss the Organic Seed Growers and Trade Association (OSGATA) et al v. Monsanto will be heard in federal district court on Tuesday January 31, 2012 in Manhattan. Judge Naomi Buchwald’s decision will establish if organic farmers are to see their day in court.
    https://www.osgata.org/learn-more-about-osgata-et-al-v-monsanto