Mischiefs' Folly

Discussion in 'Members' Systems' started by mischief, Sep 26, 2013.

1. mischief

mischief Senior Member

s/e
    Climate:
    Cool mountain
    Yeah, and summers coming. Nothing better than working/playing in the garden with a nice cold beer!

The puppies have learnt......digging, while I was busy pulling out the unwanted comfrey.
    Now they have been 'helping' me dig over the second long bed. I was hoe-ing it to kill off the unwanted weeds as they sprouted before it gets planted out. Hard case, one digs one way, they other digs the other and they each fill in the others hole. I'm thinking this could be a good training exercise if I can just figure out how to make it work.
    Jack is intrigued by the chooks and like to wiggle into their yard. I havent found out where he's getting in yet and he cant remember to get out. Amy comes in to tell me when he gets stuck in there and didnt think it was very nice of me when I decided to leave him in there for a while.
    My cat has resigned himself to the newcomers and continued his nap in amongst the leeks when Jack decided to join him there....yeah very squashed leeks, oh well.

I found a home for broody mum. She's gone off with a lady who is keen to rear pure bred light sussex chooks. Bit of a relief actually because she goes broody so often now and wouldnt let the others in the nest box. I even threw her out of their yards only to find her back in a couple of hours later. So now down to 5 hens which hopefully will realise that they are now allowed to lay their eggs in the nestbox.

Had my first asparagus spear for the season, if people only knew how gorgeous they taste straight out of the ground and so different from the shop bought stuff......!!!

I had to explain to my friend that I wasnt just trying to be kind when I said I would grow some plants for their garden and that I really did need somewhere to grow plants cos I had so much seed for things, I didnt have the space for them. Had to explain why it was a good idea to separate different types of the same plants in order to be able to save seeds and know that they would have a better chance of growing true to type. My idea should work out well cos none of their neighbours have vegie gardens. Mixed blessing.

This week I helped clean up a friends' rental property and was asked by their window cleaner man if I was interested in having referrals from him. Yes!! I never turn work down.
    Its funny though, me being a lousy house keeper, I am pretty good at it when some one else is paying me to do it for them.

I was thrilled when the same friend told me that they had finally put a vegie garden in. They do have chooks and fruit trees but until now had thought a vegie garden was either too much work or that it was cheaper to buy than to grow.Yes!!! Thats two this year and its still only spring!

2. Chookie

Chookie Junior Member

The chickens are getting so broody here as well, this morning I found 5 in the same laying box and no one was budging lol Great your chook got a little holiday :y:

Well done on converting the friends into growing some food, hopefully they will catch the gardening 'bug' :)

3. mischief

mischief Senior Member

s/e
    Climate:
    Cool mountain
    Yeah, I get a buzz going when someone even says they might give it a go. It means a change in expectations/attitudes. I never push it though, just let it take its own course.
    I'm glad broody mum has a home that will make use of her broodiness. I give up on trying to raise hens. From what I have heard she has fitted in quite well.
    I'm getting more eggs in the nestbox now so either she put the others off the lay or they have a secret nest somewhere in one of the forage yards that I have not discovered.

I have frequently caught the puppies in the chooks' yard this week. They dont seem to have been at all interested in trying to make friends with them, more interested in what I left the girls for breakfast/lunch.
    I decided to leave the gate open this afternoon just to see what would happen. For the first time since I got Jack, they came out and foraged around outside.

One of the Apple tree-lings is covered in flowers the other just in leaves. I so want to leave the flowers on, but know I should pick them all off. I've done a compromise, leave the flowers cos they are so pretty, but pick off all the fruit that form.

I've cleared most of the path on the otherside of the third long bed and discovered that there was another asparagus plant along there that I had missed. Hopefully, I have not hoed all the growing tips off. I have had to wait to dig it up for a large tub to come back to me from a friend. Its supposed to rain tomorrow, so that should be a good-ish time to transplant it.

The pups' kennel and their bedbox are covered in trays of seeds and seedlings. Putting them out their gives me more room in the porch.
    I have been a bit of a hoarder of heirloom seed. Now that I have a few extra places to plant things out so they will be less likely to cross with anything else, I have gone on a mad seed sowing spree.
    I was expecting to have to make up a heap of pollen-proof cages to grow things in, just to make sure things didnt cross.I probably still should go ahead and make them anyway.

I love this time of year, its not too hot, not too cold, not too windy and all the fruit trees are flowering like crazy.
    All the mustard and mustard lettuce I grew are absolutely smothered in bees from about 9.30/10 am til about an hour before dark. I have noticed that the teucrium fruticans is not being frequented by the bees as much any more.
    The large rosemary that started flowering from mid winter has almost run out of flowers. My baby rosemary hedge must still be alittle young cos it hasnt even started flowering yet.

Yesterday, I went over to make a start on thinning out a mates hazelnut grove. I originally thought we would be working on this together but as it turns out, they feel that I m quite capable of doing it by myself. I dont mind in the slightest cos I get to keep all the thinnings for firewood. Most of it is thin pole wood but there is still quite abit of larger diametre wood as well. That should keep me busy for the next week or two.

I dropped off the first load of lawn clippings to another mates place to help cook the grass in their overgrown garden. I'll do the same again in another two weeks, by which time our seedlings should be starting to get to the point where some of them can be planted out. They said I could put a bee hive in the yard too of I actually manage to get the third one up and running. I still have to go up to AK to get all the heat treated pallets my brother saved for me so I can build them yet. Thats next weekends target.

hmm, its been very quiet around here for alittle too long, better go see what the 'kids' are getting to.

4. songbird

songbird Senior Member

gardening, reading, etc
    Home Page:
    Climate:
    -15C-35C, 10cm rain/mo, clay, full sun, K-G Dfa=x=Dfb
    other than fond recollections of puppy piles and puppy breath i had to just pull this last bit out to cheer along with you. : )

5. mischief

mischief Senior Member

s/e
    Climate:
    Cool mountain
    Bloody hell, I hadnt realised I had been gone so long.
    Had a bit of a problem with my computer being hacked(?), got logged off everything, passwords all changed, then my laptop simply refused to do anything.
    I thought I was going to have to buy a new laptop but an IT friend checked it out and came back with a USB keyboard for me to use, its alittle unwieldy but seems to be working out okay.

The pups are now 5 months old and growing well. I hadnt really noticed just how much they had grown til I had to get the carry cage out to lend to somebody.This held the both of them a few months ago and now wouldnt hold half of Jack.

The tall gate at the entrance to the backyard had to be dropped down so they couldnt get out from underneath it.
    I decided to redo the whole thing cos my ex had set it up so it opened up against the house which I hated. It took a while for me to get the courage up to tackle this and wasnt as hard as I thought it would be.
    I replaced the 3x4 posts with 4x4's and hung it from the other side of the driveway and replaced the timber palings with some of the reinforcing mesh so it didnt feel like a gang pad anymore. I had to strategically place some rocks to stop little paws from digging escape tunnels and protect the climbers I planted under each.Much better.
    Amy is still small enough to fit through the mesh though, so I've had to tie chicken mesh onto this to stop her from getting out to visit the neighbour.
    I think he was secretly pleased that she kept finding ways of getting out..sort of made up for his puppy escaping all the time to my place.

I noticed Amy was chasing Jack around trying to make him give her whatever he had in his mouth so I took it off him to see what it was....an egg, a rather grubby looking egg which after a quick shake, I decided was an antique and they were more than welcome to it. Then she found one for herself. It took them ages for them to figure out how to get into it- licking it lovingly only lasted a good half hour. Once they got the hang of it, they'd eaten the whole thing in seconds then race of for another.
    Unfortunately, they are still getting all the eggs and seem to have learnt what the chooks cackling means. One day i might get the chooks to stay in their run to lay their eggs, but for now I have been too busy to sort that out.
    Consequently, my dogs have absolutely lovely coats and are in excellent condition.

The vegie garden is doing quite well. Its still just the three 6 metre long beds in the middle of the yard, I have the area where the shorter ones will be covered with corrogated iron set on pallets in an attempt to discourage the convovulus from growing along there.

The hardneck garlic was a winner. Most of the heads are bigger than what I see in the supermarket. These are still drying out, although I did take some with me at Christmas even though they were freshly dug at the time. Personally, I think they taste better when they have been properly dried.
    The elephant garlic that got smothered by the oats experiment were a washout, poor things. All in all, I only recovered 6 heads which were rather sad and sorry looking. I'm hoping that a more thoughtful spot for them to grow in this winter and alot of my magical liquid fert will see them bounce back to their former glory.

6. mischief

mischief Senior Member

s/e
    Climate:
    Cool mountain
    My plum trees did much better this year. I had been worried about them cos the one in the front yard seemed to be very stressed and not looking good at all. I think the droughts we have had over the last two years were the main cause.
    This year, I fed it heaps with liquid fert once it started flowering and for the first time actually watered it, then it rain regularly so I left it alone.
    I didnt have time to strip it bare of fruit this year, which was a pity cos it was just smothered in fruit. I did collect what I could with out climbing the tree and made jam with it-a dozen large jars of the stuff and a smaller amount of plum sauce.
    My brother was given a bottle for him and one to pass on to my daughter but he liked it so much he hasnt yet given hers to her yet.

The plum tree next to the courtyard actually fruited before the other for the first time. This didnt have alot on it but then thats not surprising given that it was severely hacked at when I got the water tank put in.
    I finally got to have a go at making umeboshi plums and these are currently in one of my saurkraut pots and have another couple of weeks to go before I take them out to dry.
    Not too sure how things will go cos the red perilla plants I am supposed to be using for the next step after drying them are still quite small. I obviously dont have my timing right for this yet.

Last year the cherry tree produced 6 fruit at the beginning of december, this year I got a small bowlful around the middle of december that still hadnt ripened properly. These had started to split due to all the rain we had been having so I collected what hadnt split and tried to ripen them inside- they were still quite sour at Christmas time, which was disappointing.
    I spent ages looking at this tree and finally decided to take out the central leader so it doesnt grow really tall and at some point start tying down the side branches so they grow in a more horizontal way. They should still shade this forage yard and make it easier to harvest the fruit, but not give the chooks something they can use to get out into the neighbours yard.

The hawera plum tree that I planted next to the driveway, I thought was supposed to grow to 5 metres, but already is taller than that with very long branches. I have had to prop the lower branches up because they have drooped under the weight of their fruit. This is growing where I had my old compost bins for years and I am wondering if all the nutrients leaching down from these has made the soil here ultra rich. It has grown at such a faster rate than any of the other trees that I have put in. last year, I got a handful of large juicy fruit, this year, I'm going to have to pinch mums preserving jars. They are just starting to redden up. I forgot to take note of when they ripened last year.

hmm, I seem to have gone mad on plum trees. The three I recently planted have also been well fed and mulched and are all putting on good growth.The greengage, Louisa and Italian prune.

The blackboy peach has been allowed to keep its two fruit even though its only been in the ground a short while because it is looking so healthy and growing so fast.
    The one growing down by the road, was covered in fruit but for some reason has dropped the lot. I hadnt watered or fed this one so I am going to have to do so next year.

I changed my mind about taking off the fruit from the baby apple tree- I fed it heaps and have been watering it instead, there are only 6 so hopefully it will continue to do well.
    The one I accidentally knocked the growing tip off threw 4 leaders, one of which was chosen as the replacement and the others cut off.So relieved.
    These are Ballerina type trees and are only supposed to grow a tall stalk with the fruit growing on these or on spurs.
    They are supposed to grow to 3 metres in afew years and will be trained to arch over the path.

The espaliered pear trees didnt flower this year but are growing alot of usable laterals, one in particular so I will be a couple of years ahead in getting the main branches trained on that one. There have been some branches growing where I dont want them and these have recently been trimmed back to hopefully produce fruiting spurs.

The baby almond in front of the new woodshed has been pruned free of afew lower branches. It looks alittle odd at the moment, but I could see that these would either try to grow into the woodshed or get in the way when I try to walk past it. All going well the new growth at the top will grow out over my head and over the top of the woodshed.

The chestnut tree didnt flower this year, I need to research how to coppice/pollard them so I get nuts without letting it get too big.

The grapefruit tree doesnt seem to like where it is, probably because of the neighbours walnut tree and I am seriously considering moving it again... to the small garden next to the toolshed where there was a dwarf cherry tree til my brothers dog came to visit and that fat thing sat on it. I did tie it up in the hopes that it will recover but it is looking rather dead for now.

Sorry eco, the feijoas were smothered in flowers and already I have budding fruit coming along.
    These havent been watered, but have been well mulched with lawn clippings and were fed regularly with half buckets of liquid fert too. I think the trick with these is to have them well mulched so their shallow roots are not allowed to dry out.
    These have been under planted with some butternut plants to take advantage of all that space that they arent using up yet.

The baby grape vines have a couple of bunches of grapes forming and are looking really good.

Bloody hell, I knew I had gone mad a fruit tree planting, the crabapple is not doing all that well compared to how the others are growing, thinking about it, I have forgotten to feed it.
    The apple tree just outside the front door has lots of lovely fruit on it and I think must have reached its mature height because it doesnt appear to have got any bigger. These should be ready to eat anytime now.

The baby lemon might need to be replaced if it doesnt start sending out new shoots for branches. I let it keep all its fruit last year and it hasnt done anything since.....not good.

And finally that poor orange tree. Its doing amazingly well and has fruited beautifully for months.
    Its still got alot of ripe fruit. I have just been harvesting as I need or want them but with the next lot of smaller fruit coming along, I think I should probably start collecting them and share them out.

7. songbird

songbird Senior Member

gardening, reading, etc
    Home Page:
    Climate:
    welcome back mischief! : )

8. mischief

mischief Senior Member

s/e
    Climate:
    Cool mountain
    Ta, you guys have been busy while I have been away.

9. Australian Beekeeper

Australian Beekeeper Junior Member

Just letting you know I'm following along :) great to see most of your trees are going well.

10. mischief

mischief Senior Member

s/e
    Climate:
    Cool mountain
    Thanks AB.
    When I first decided to start trying to grow as much of my own food as possible, I really didnt see how I could fit fruit trees in with such a long narrow yard, now I can still see spot where I can pop a few more in as well as afew more natives, even taking into account the mature height factor.
    Finding things like the columnular apple trees was a bonus as I would not have been able to put normal sized trees in those spots.

I have revitalised my brother. He hasnt seen the yard in ages and seeing it look so good has made him get stuck in to his own again. He particularly loves how the parking area is shaping up.
    He asked how the hell I get things done, so I told him my secret....
    Run around in circles for a bit, then grab a pen and paper and sit in each area one at a time and list out all the things that are unfinshed/not started on until you've gone round the whole place.
    Then list out all the things you can do that dont actually cost anything to get done., especially those things that you need to use what you have lying around waiting to be used.
    Then finally make a third list, which is your to-do list that you are actually going to work on for that week/month and get started, ticking off each things as you get it done.

By the time you've done all the 'costs nothing' or very little list, things are starting to look quite good.
    I didnt tell him that I also draw heaps of pictures and have a whole refill pad of 'floorplans' for each area,complete with doodles and measurements of key things.

I think it is harder to get things done by yourself because when there is someone/ones helping, you can bounce ideas and solutions off each other.By yourself it doesnt quite work the same way.
    This is the reason why I watch visitors reactions when I show them around. I get to see through things through their eyes.

11. songbird

songbird Senior Member

gardening, reading, etc
    Home Page:
    Climate:
    oh how i wish i could visit each and every one of youses out there... : )

mischief, great ideas about listing and getting things done. we have TODO lists once in a while, but nothing quite so organized.

this year the biggest project besides normal gardening will be to finish the drainage project i could not do much with last summer. hand labor takes time, but i enjoy it so much more than machinery and the exercise is good for me.

12. Chookie

Chookie Junior Member

Good to hear how things are coming along, had to laugh at the dogs stealing the eggs, cheeky buggers :D lol

13. mischief

mischief Senior Member

s/e
    Climate:
    Cool mountain
    Currently, one of the hens is laying in the porch up on the bench. Found three of them which I got to keep for myself.
    Today, I startled her and she went off to lay somewhere nearby......and yes Amy at least does appear to know what that cackle means. Afew minutes later, she found the egg and was busy eating it.

I have been doing some summer work at the nursery to help make up for my severely slashed income.
    Out the back of our smoko room is a gravelled area that has become home to a whole bunch of native bees. Apparently they turned up shortly after a nearby section of pine forest had been felled.
    At first I thought they were wasps because I did actually see one attacking one of these bees but it had just been the one wasp attacking a homecoming bee.
    They have dug little holes in amongst the stones. They dont seem to get going until after 10am. Its been really interesting to watch them and quite a thrill to see them obviously thriving. They are certainly packing in the pollen.

I've had to put off thinning out the rest of the hazelwood grove til after I finish with the summer work, which should be mid/end feb.
    So far have half filled the second bay of the woodshed- next years' firewood. I hope it doesnt dry out too much cos its mostly pole wood.
    This grove is seriously overgrown. The trees were planted way too close so its been abit of a drama cutting out every other row seeing as every single branch of every single tree gets hung up.
    I started saving the really straight thinner branches to use as stakes for the garden.

The trellis in front of the woodshed just didnt look right being made out of these, so the 2x3 posts I replaced when I rehung the gate, got set into the ground and nailed to the shed and some left over railings got used for the crosswise pieces then the last of my trusty ol' reinforcing mesh was stapled onto these. It wasnt quite wide enough to cover the whole area from post to post but I think once the NZ Passion fruit finally grows over it, it should look really good.

I finally got to plant out the lavender seedlings around the back half of the water tank. The pups had been just running in a straight line right through this bed, so a couple of weeks before they got planted out, I put 4 electric fence standards afew feet apart to direct them back onto the path.
    These have two different types of basil growing between them. One is supposed to have a cinnamon flavour and the other licorice.
    If this taste like they are supposed to then I will be able to tick off two more items on my 'substitute flavourings' list.
    The first being the Horopito shrub which is still too small to start snacking on, the second being the choc mint.
    This has been a hit with everyone who got to taste it, they had to have a piece to take with them. Hopefully this will grow enough for me to dry and use in the kitchen.

The section of lavender that got sown and planted out last year is looking really good and flowered well. I didnt see all that many honey bees on them, but quite afew bumblebees and the carpenter bees that turned up last autumn.
    These have finished flowering now and have been trimmed back to keep them nice and tight.
    Its just as well I decided to replace the lavender on the other side of the steps up to the garden with lemon thyme.
    By the time both side would have grown to full height and flowered, there would have been no way to walk up the steps. I hadnt taken into account that they dont just flower upright, but out to the sides as well.

I got to eat shallots from the garden this week. Some didnt do too well cos I let the cutting celery and carrots go to seed so they got smothered, but what I did get was a good bucketful of dried bulbs.
    My garlic was deemed dry enough and got braided up and now hangs just inside the backdoor where its reasonably cool and the celery seed has finally started to colour up so it has been harvested and is hanging in a folded up sheet of newspaper.
    I had strung a line in one bay (to start off with) so I could maybe dry my clothes in there over winter and my herby things over summer. I forgot to put the line up in the other bay so that will have to wait til after winter when I have emptied it.
    Its going to be interesting to see just how much wood I actually go through in the course of a normal winter. I'm sort of wondering if I am going to have to somehow work out how to make the third bay without violating the council bylaws.

The beans I sowed along the curved trellis up on the terrace have been really slow to grow. I didnt realise just how dry this bit was, so with a little more watering they are starting to flower. This is supposed to be a bean that tastes sort of like chestnuts which I love, so I'm really looking forward to these.
    Having them there lets me see how the terrace will look when the NZ Jasmine finally covers the whole thing. No point in wasting good growing space meanwhile.

The pumpkins I planted at my friends place didnt last long before something ate them all which was disappointing but the others are finally starting to make headway. They seemed alittle slow to get going this year.

14. Curramore1

Curramore1 Junior Member

Primary Producer
    Curramore, Blackall Range, S E Queensland, Aust.
    Climate:
    Sub-tropical to temperate 2000mm rain, elevated 350-475m
    Hi Mischief, what does a NZ passionfruit look like when it's at home? What is the Greenus growtallus name for the Hazelwood? My pumpkins are only a couple of weeks old here too, they come up on their own from last year's seed and fruit in the autumn and are just ready to harvest by late May, early June when the vines die off for the winter.

15. mischief

mischief Senior Member

s/e
    Climate:
    Cool mountain
    Hi Curramore,
    Um.....The NZ passion fruit has sort of pointy leaves and I understand normal looking passion fruit type flowers but the fruit is smaller and the skin is an orange colour. As there is supposed to be a male and female plant in order to get any fruit, I wont be cos I only have one plant. I wont know which I have til it starts flowering.
    Unfortunately, it didnt come with one of each like they do with kiwifruit plants.

I have know idea what you are talking about with regards to the hazels,sorry.

Our weather has turned cold, rainy and windy and I have that horrible feeling that we have had all the summer we are going to get and are going to have a cool autumn. It would be nice if it turned out hot again, but that wind is icy, not a good sign. I felt like lighting the fire tonight, but restrained myself.

The other day, I was in one of the chook yards checking out the white raspberries- I need to knock up a support for them cos they are all falling over.
    Anyway, Jack was with me and I realised that he too was checking out the fruit for ripeness. It appears I have well trainied fruit loving dogs. Now I know what happened to the currants.

I noticed that the birds were starting to take an interest in the Hawera Plums, so I picked all the ones I could reach, including those I got from climbing the tree alittle way up. Three 10 litre buckets later, plus the ones the dogs ate while I was up the tree, not too bad seeing as I only planted it, what three years ago?
    I took some over to my neighbour and a bucket over to a friend for them to sort through what they wanted and am going to have a go at making a fruit cheese with the rest and let mum bottle some too. She's still got her AGEE jars and new lids.

I checked on the green plums I had pickled for Umeboshi plums. These werent as salty as I thought but still need another couple of weeks in their brine according to my recipe. The purple shiso I am supposed to be using to make them go red is still quite small, so I am wondering if I will have to dry the plums out and then wait for the Shiso to hurry up before I can do the next step.
    Another reason why I am annoyed about the weather turning cold. How am I supposed to dry the plums out with not as much hot sun?

Last week, the nursery manager came to a screeching halt in his truck, jumped out and asked me if I was a buddy horticulturist, wasnt I?
    When I hesitatingly said yes, he asked me if I wanted a glasshouse.
    Well of course I do.....I just have to pull down the old one in the nursery before the winter season starts and get it off site and stored away til I can put it up after winter.
    Ahhh. gone from not enough to do to too much and running out of time.

Today is a public holiday here- Waitangi Day, so I was out at the nursery taking the glass out of my half of the walls and removing the doors.
    They have double doors on this glasshouse that open to the outside-sliding ones and singles for the internal doors.
    Sounds abit odd but it is a really long building made up of two 7+metre growing rooms with a smaller central workshop type thing. (I will most likely only take half or slightly less, but if nobody else wants the rest, it would be a shame to see it go to the dump, so we'll see what happens).
    I've snagged most of the doors because they will also be quite handy elsewhere.

I had really only seen this from a distance before and never took much notice of it cos it looked seriously rundown. I thought initially that it was a wooden glasshouse. Its old but the framing is is in excellent condition and I think alot sturdier than glasshouses you can buy new today.

My brother was supposed to be coming down but had problems with his car, so it was just me for today...and the dogs. I thought they would like the chance to run around outside their own four fences.
    I still need to get a load of cardboard from somewhere so I can bring the glass home safely and in a couple of weeks will have the help of a friend and at least one of her garden serfs, possibly two, to help dismantle the glasshouse. This thing is huge, way bigger than I need for the max 5x4 metre glasshouse I will be putting up. I can see possibilities for using the framing for a few other little projects I have on my wish list, that until now were probably wishful thinking.

So....the area I had marked out for a LITTLE glasshouse, will probably become a studio/sleep-out. Meanwhile it is now tagged as where I will store all the framing.

After measuring everything up, I can fit a 5x4 metre glasshouse where I have the three long garden beds, leaving a 1/2 mtre bed at each end.
    I have taken heaps of photos of all the bits of framing and structural supports so I can look back at how it all fitted together and help me remember which sort of thing goes where.

The original one sits on a concrete skirting wall about 1/2 a metre high. I thought I might be able to do something like this too til I worked out the cost of it all....uh no, its going to have to be treated timber, retaining wall and posts. Its either that or have the walls at only 1.4 metres high, which I think would severely annoy me.

With the current building codes, everything below 2 metres now has to be in safety glass, soI am not too sure why I am bothering with taking the glass, seeing as I will most likely have to use the sheets of corro-plastic that are used on conservatories. I'll have to go two doors down the road and have a wee chat with our local mister conservatory-man.
    If I dont use it, I guess I can always sell it on trademe to help defray costs.

I still have the 5 shorter 3 metre garden beds to use along the boundary fence as well as the space under the fruit trees for outdoor plantings, so it wont all be under cover.
    I'm going to have to bone up on indoor gardening before the next growing season though, I'm sure its going to be different to what I am used to.

But wait, it gets better.
    They have to get the glasshouse gone before they can cut down an old Oak tree that is starting to get dangerous. Not too sure why they think that, it looks fine to me, but it means that I should be able to get some lengths of thick branches to make some mushroom stumps with and I thought i could maybe snag some to put in the bottom of the glasshouse beds as a sort of indoor hugleculture thing.
    I cant get any firewood from it apparently unfortunately, cos its all been allocated elsewhere, but I'm sure they'll let me have enough for my stumps.

As a bribe, I took a dozen rooted cutting of my chocmint to share out with everybody, a bucket of luscious oranges and educated anyone who would listen, of the wonders of mushroom stumps and all the different types of mushrooms I could grow,(and share with them all).

16. Australian Beekeeper

Australian Beekeeper Junior Member

Great score with the glasshouse! Hope it all goes smoothly :)

17. Chookie

Chookie Junior Member

Very cool, would love to see some pics of this greenhouse when its up! :y:

18. 9anda1f

9anda1f Administrator Staff Member

Climate:
    Semi-Arid Shrub Steppe (BsK)
    Hi Mischief,
    Nice bit of luck with the glasshouse!
    That's a mighty onerous code!
    I'm very interested to see what you come up with.

19. Curramore1

Curramore1 Junior Member

Primary Producer
    Curramore, Blackall Range, S E Queensland, Aust.
    Climate:
    Sub-tropical to temperate 2000mm rain, elevated 350-475m
    I've had to put off thinning out the rest of the hazelwood grove til after I finish with the summer work, which should be mid/end feb.
    So far have half filled the second bay of the woodshed- next years' firewood. I hope it doesnt dry out too much cos its mostly pole wood.
    This grove is seriously overgrown. The trees were planted way too close so its been abit of a drama cutting out every other row seeing as every single branch of every single tree gets hung up.
    I started saving the really straight thinner branches to use as stakes for the garden.
    Hi Mischief,
    that hazelwood grove was what I was referring to.
    Thanks for a detailed description of your glasshouses and associated paraphernalia. The weather is cooling a little here as well with SE breeze off the ocean influence affecting us. 19C-29 C here at the moment, with occasional showers. Really idyllic. The grasses have all seeded, so autumn is just a sniff away here as well. The weather does not really cool down enough for a fire here until the end of April normally. I envy that you can grow plums and raspberries and other more cool temperate stuff. We have Queensland fruit fly, so hard to grow low chill and beat the QFF. Our stone fruit is ripe in early October here and starting to yellow and think about closing down for the winter in a month or so. I don't have a glasshouse, I just grow seasonal things which have to hack it on their own, wouldn't mind a grow tunnel to keep the cold, late winter SW winds away from a few things here in August though. Do you have to put hail net over glasshouses?
    The Channel-billed Cuckoos here must have all laid their eggs in Crow and Currawong nests and have lessened their raucous carrying on, they will head North to the New Hebrides in 6 weeks or so with the fledglings. One is squarking away dementably outside my window now, such a dorky looking bird.
    English Oak is a wonderful timber, I have a piece of furniture brought over by an ancestor 200 odd years ago here and the timber is still as good as the day it was made. It was before that, according to my Granny, part of an English naval ship which was broken down and made into houses and furniture, if only it could talk? I would like to be where you are and scavenge that Oak for wood working into bowls etc. Is Oak a good firewood? We mainly use old ironbark trees left behind after being ringbarked in the 1930's. Burns really hot with little chimney soot and leaves a fine, grey ash.

20. andrew curr

andrew curr Moderator

Oak is good firewood 2/3 the density of ironbark ,,,lots easier to cut and splits really well