Mischiefs' Folly

Discussion in 'Members' Systems' started by mischief, Sep 26, 2013.

1. helenlee

helenlee Junior Member

What's the barrel trellis you're planning on/have given up on?

2. mischief

mischief Senior Member

s/e
    Climate:
    Cool mountain

I was told they had to be cut off their stem.
    When I went to do that, I found they had grown a 'waist' to tell me just where to cut, leaving them plenty for that handy button.
    Very clever of the Avocado Diva to design them that way cos then you have something to poke to help you work out when its ready to eat.

3. mischief

mischief Senior Member

s/e
    Climate:
    Cool mountain
    I had this idea of having a round barrel shaped pergola over the scratch yard to grow the choko and hops over to give the girls some much needed shade over summer. They killed the choko and the hops didnt grow as much as I thought it would so I am going to transplant the kiwifruit in the yard opposite so it grows up from the sun side of the scratch yard. Together they should give them enough shade to be comfortable.

One that was flat would be too low for me to comfortably walk under so that was out even though it would have been much simpler to do. Of course, if I had thought about this earlier, I could have built the fences on each side taller so that wouldnt have been a problem.
    I thought the rounded shape would look better and be a bit of a change from all the straight lines, but I havent been able to figure out how to do it.
    So what I m going to do instead is use some of the old warped railing off the old fence and make one peaked like a roof line, then staple some of the re-enforcing mesh to that for the vines to grow on.
    It wont matter if the railings are warped because once the vines cover it, it wont be noticeable.

4. Gonhar

Gonhar Junior Member

Have you thought using rebar? Secured to the sides they will create a hoop. Attach some lattice or cords to have the plants vine over.

5. helenlee

helenlee Junior Member

A cheap & effective way to achieve a rounded shape is with star pickets & poly pipe. Belt in the star pickets & push the poly pipe over them (the poly has to be of sufficient diameter to go over the picket of course). I'll try & find a photo of what I mean.
    I'm not sure if you could adapt that idea to suit the structure you have already built?

6. helenlee

helenlee Junior Member

7. Chookie

Chookie Junior Member

What a great design there helenlee, will be trying that in the future :y:

8. helenlee

helenlee Junior Member

Yeah - it's a winner isn't it? Simple, inexpensive, versatile, practical, tidy looking & lends itself to multiple applications & variations. Plenty to love there : )

9. eco4560

eco4560 New Member

That's Rosina's place! I've been there! She has since sold and moved on but it is a great example of permaculture in the 'burbs.

10. helenlee

helenlee Junior Member

Awesome! It's so exciting to be able to show an example of real stuff achieved by real people in real situations : )

11. mischief

mischief Senior Member

s/e
    Climate:
    Cool mountain
    I have been trying to work out how to do it with what I have- old railing, PVC piping and re-enforcing mesh, but I just dont have enough mesh.
    Last time I had any rebar, it was a long time ago, but I had abit of difficulty bending it, maybe what I had was too thick. I could buy sheets of re-enforcing mesh for $60 a large sheet, but again, I'm trying to use what I've got first.
    It doesnt really matter if its not rounded. It does matter that I can walk underneath it without getting vine tangled in my hair and strong enough to cope with the weight of the vine and me leaning on it when I collect either the hops or the Kiwifruit- I'll be standing on the top railing so it has to be sturdy if I accidentally slip and wind up lying/sitting on it.

12. mischief

mischief Senior Member

s/e
    Climate:
    Cool mountain
    um...wooden fence so no. I did think of bolting piping to the fence and stuffing the PVC piping in it, but the piping I have isnt the right size. and the PVC pipe probably wouldnt be strong enough if I fell against it- it does go brittle over time too so that idea went out the window.

13. mischief

mischief Senior Member

s/e
    Climate:
    Cool mountain
  14. helenlee

helenlee Junior Member

OMG I just saw this on fb & thought of you : )
    We were talking about the peeing in a bucket thing ages ago & I think we all agreed it hurts your bum if you actually have to sit on the rim of the bucket yes?
    Well check this out : ) Great idea ... a bucket with a pool noodle seat : )

View attachment 2645

Attached Files:

15. mischief

mischief Senior Member

s/e
    Climate:
    Cool mountain
    That does look alittle more comfy than a plain ol' bucket!!!! hehe.
    Still have to wait for the winter season to finish before I can get to building the 'wee house' though.

But that might work in the bathroom meanwhile.

16. eco4560

eco4560 New Member

Is "joint compound" good for arthritis Helen? Gee that's a lot to rub on! I might need some - my bloody hand isn't getting any better, even with drugs….

17. helenlee

helenlee Junior Member

My dear girl ... wee need to talk : ) ; ) : )
    Of course it will work in the blinky house in the mean time! You wouldn't catch me going outside at night to pee in winter in a fit!
    And in summer you don't need a bucket or a wee house, that's what fruit trees are for! : )

18. helenlee

helenlee Junior Member

I dunno : ) Maybe tradies buy their glucosamine & condroitin in large white plastic buckets too? : )

Speaking of drugs ... & of joint pain ... I now have a giant patch of silver gaffa tape stuck on my a$$ : (
    The patches started to get itchy, & I scratched a few of them off in the night. And right on queue, I turned into the [email protected] from hell again, & my bones started aching. So I decided to fix the problem once & for all & stuck a few strips of tape over the patch I put on today. It has totally ruined the discrete & invisible look the manufacturer was going for : ) but at least it might stay put long enough for me to get the good stuff out of this one : )

19. helenlee

helenlee Junior Member

And no, I'm not going to post a photo :)

20. eco4560

eco4560 New Member

Ha ha ha ha! At least you know they are working! My mum confused the doc when she asked if the patches will stay on when she goes scuba diving. (They did BTW!)

Maybe you need to sleep in a onesie - so you can't get to your arse in your sleep?