Miracle fruit

Discussion in 'Planting, growing, nurturing Plants' started by Michaelangelica, Apr 11, 2012.

1. Michaelangelica

Michaelangelica Junior Member

MIRACLE FRUIT, Synsepalum dulcificum
    I have managed to keep one of these alive for some years now after i discovered it needed a soil pH of c. 4 (!)
    Last year i had some good growth and a small crop (The tree is about 1M 4.F high))
    This year it has not been so happy
    Any suggestions?
    I am thinking that maybe I need to repot it.
    or maybe fertilise but with what (that won't change soil pH)
    I am just on the edge of its tolerance for cold and the first few years put it in its own mini hot house for winter

Also how do you propagate the bloody thing! Cuttings don't seem to work and I planted most fruit seeds around the base of the plant last year but nothing emerged

It is a really fun tree to help get kids interested in plants.

Are berries available in Australia (in punnets?)

2. eco4560

eco4560 New Member

So how did you get the soil to pH 4?

3. gardenlen

gardenlen Group for banned users

we've got one in a pot had it that way for a few years now seems to enjoy being out of direct sun and cold, have been told they do best as pot culture, as i did try to plant one out in a western aspect garden and it karked it, though it did fruit i never ate any.
    i'll pot this one on hoping it will fruit, might try the seeds as well, maybe they need scarifying? anyhow my best at the moment, it is doing very well in the pot.

len

4. mischief

mischief Senior Member

s/e
    Climate:
    Cool mountain
    Why is it that miracle fruit or super foods are so damn hard to grow?
    My Goji isnt supposed to need anything as extreme as a ph4 for example, but they either sulk, die or just hang in there, producing albsolutely zilch.

5. eco4560

eco4560 New Member

Maybe they get the name because it's a blooming miracle if you get it to set fruit?

6. Michaelangelica

Basically real peat from Romania + sand, very ecologically sound. (?)

Had good growth and a crop last year I thought I'd cracked it.
    Tried several tip cuttings of new growth with no joy

7. Michaelangelica

My Goji died in winter, I just thought it must have been cold sensitive.

8. matto

matto Junior Member

How are you getting nutrients to the plant in that growing medium?

9. Michaelangelica

Good question, perhaps the problem, I originally used liquid fertiliser but haven't for some time.

10. matto

matto Junior Member

Maybe add some worm casting to the bottom of your pot. They hold their nutrients for a long time.
    Looking at the chart in the designers manual, if it thrives in pH 4 then its reliant on nitrogen, sulphur, calcium and trace minerals, and not so on the P and K. Seaweed will be a good foliar spray to balance deficiencies... at a guess.

11. Adam

Adam Junior Member

Might be the opposite. I think gojis need a cold period. They are reported to be able to withstand zones 4-9 (USDA hardiness zones). If it never freezes where you are, you should be zone 10ish. I just planted some in my parents yard (zone 6/7) where temperatures can reach -18 C or so. It seems happy so far, but it has yet to experience a winter so we'll see.

12. Michaelangelica

Yes tenish /11 is about right very close to lake and coast
    Sadly i can't grow raspberries either

13. permanut

permanut Junior Member

I have a Miracle fruit bush that I am very proud of. I started it from seed from one I'd saved from Tropical fruit world near Muhwullimbah NNSW, this was back in 2005.
    The bush is about 400mm high now, and this year is absolutely covered in fruit which is unusual as I'm lucky if I'd even get 1 or 2 in the past. Maybe it takes them a while to get going.
    Like I said I started it from seed, from one i'd eaten, just in a small pot. I seem to remember it took a while to come up. I then planted it in the ground in a semi shaded spot on top of the Placenta of my first child. It seem to do well and grew but I never noticed flowers for 3 years.
    We were only renting and when we had to move I dug it up and it has been in a 30ltr pot ever since, i didn't know about the P.H requirement and have been just giving it compost,seaweed,comfrey tea, worm castings and a few pellets now and again.
    I heard they are called 'Miracle fruit' because in West Africa where they originate, the locals there would consume some particular yam/tuber that was very bitter tasting, and so in eating the miracle fruit which actually anesthetises the acid receptors on the tongue, the yams became wonderfully delicious.
    It is great fun to try all the bitter foods after eating even just a quarter of the 10mm fruit.
    Do not eat some before you want to have a beer as it makes beer taste nasty, and it takes a while for the tongue to get back to normal:D
    I'm thinking i might invite some unsuspecting guests over for a meal and somehow incorporate the miracle fruit in the first course cunningly so they don't know, then proceed to serve them very bitter foods to freak them out and do they're heads in !:rofl:

14. Michaelangelica

Eating Miracle Fruit During Cancer Treatment: Add Miraculi
    Eating Miracle Fruit during cancer treatment is a potential solution for chemo-induced loss of taste sensation. Recent research shows that scientists now know exactly what is happening with our taste receptors when the Miracle Fruit is eaten. The Miracle Fruit is proposed by some doctors as having potential as a new food sweetener for people who are undergoing cancer treatment and can be added to a list of suggested foods for cancer patients who need a little added zest to their compromised palates.

Miracle Fruit History
    https://www.emaxhealth.com/8782/eating-miracle-fruit-during-cancer-treatment-add-miraculin

15. permanut

permanut Junior Member

In my humble opinion Chemotherapy and radiotherapy is a cancer treatment i would personally never try. There are plenty of alternatives to fighting cancer like immune building ones.
    Cancer can only breed in an acid environment, so alkalizing the system has to be the first option for me before I start going down the conventional big money making path.=(

16. Michaelangelica

Yes it seems a strange strategy to destroy someone's immune system when the are being attacked by an immune system disorder. I guess, if the cancer is localised, killing every cell in the region with radiation (in itself cancerous) might be an option.
    or the strategy of using a drug that will “kill all fast growing cells” because we know some cancers grow fast; however other cells grow fast too and many other bodily processes may be affected by such a strategy/drug.

A better drug strategy seems to be stopping the blood supply to cancerous cells (Bevacizumab, trade name Avastin, Genentech/Roche, is a drug that slows angiogenesis, the growth of new blood vessels). thus starving them of nutrients.

Herbs are just considered "unscientific" folklore,
    yet so far we have the following:- (from my one day to be published book??)
    There are many others (and foods like brassicas)that may be preventive. Prostrate cancer is rare in Asian countries for example and could be related to diet such as the high levels of soy eaten and low amounts of milk/grains. But it is unlikely that research will be done on this as a "magic bullet' makes a lot more $billions.

BTW the one herb that does help cancer patients cope with the horrific side effects of the rat poisons they are given is illegal in most parts of this country. (MJ) This has been proven by good scientific research which medicos say they believe in.