Milk vinegar

Discussion in 'General chat' started by mischief, Aug 14, 2012.

1. mischief

mischief Senior Member

s/e
    Climate:
    Cool mountain
    Has anyone in their travels come across any info on how to do this at all?

I have strained out the kefir grains out of the milk now that it appears to have munched through the milk.
    This no longer looked like milk, but curds and whey and have the whey burbling away in a fresh crock with lid, but am making this up as I go along and it would be nice to get some sort of real direction.

2. eco4560

eco4560 New Member

The only person I know who would possibly know the answer is Elisabeth Fekonia from Permaculture Realfoods. She knows EVERYTHING about dairy.... Search for her business name and you should find an email address. She's very approachable.

3. mischief

mischief Senior Member

s/e
    Climate:
    Cool mountain
    Thanks eco.

4. Grasshopper

Grasshopper Senior Member

5. BlueSkyBee

BlueSkyBee Junior Member

I'm not sure of your question? Are you simply wanting to make Kefir from live Kefir grains, or are you wanting to further make something from the whey only? I've not heard of the term "Milk Vinegar" before...

When I got my Kefir grains, I simply used them pretty much as per Grasshoppers link, possibly the only thing I'd add is that if you squeeze or massage the kefir grains they exude a sticky substance which encourages them to grow faster, and sweetens the next batch of kefir. Sometimes I'd put my batch of kefir milk into cheesecloth and let it drain for a couple of hours, which made a lovely kind of kefir spread/cheese.

6. frosty

frosty Junior Member

hi Mischief

I have a bit o experience with kefir and making cheese using vinegar or kefir but I am not sure what you want to know ?

7. mischief

mischief Senior Member

s/e
    Climate:
    Cool mountain
    A friend of mine uses milk vinegar to make her pickles which taste fantastic.
    She buys the vinegar from the supermarket.
    She vaguely remembers her grandmother making it but wasnt really paying attention to how that was done so cant tell me.
    I have access to farm fresh milk and thought that it would be another step forward to be able to make the vinegar that makes the pickles with the food that we grow.

Not having done this before and not finding the information in my google searches or library searches has made it differcult to know how I mam supposed to go about this.

I thought somebody might know.

I have made cheese using vinegar too and do have a kefir grain thing going in a small way for drinking but to be honest am not too sure I like it yet.

Thank you for the link, it was alot more straightforward than some others I have looked at.
    Because its quite cold here at the moment, (and I prefer to have the kitchen especially, alittle on the cool side),I havent been straining the grains out every day.Maybe be every three days or so and they are still going.
    I didnt know about the grains sinking to the bottom if they are getting to be no good and will go take a look to see just how they are .
    Thank you for the sweetening up tip,I didnt know that.