Microwaves

Discussion in 'Planting, growing, nurturing Plants' started by Tamandco, Jun 24, 2005.

1. Tamandco

Tamandco Junior Member

Hi all,

Look at the time! (and I'm freezing)

I have just spent the entire day working on my computer reformatting the hard drive and reinstalling the OS, drivers and all the software following a 3 hour nap after working til nearly 5am yesterday morning from the night before. That's in between looking after a 3 year old and juggling breast feeds for my 3 month old. Boy, I can't believe she's 3 month old already!

I rang the help desk of my ISP after incurring continuous problems with the server only to be told that the problems were caused because my computer was infected with SPY WEAR which was blocking the communication. I still reckon it was the server though. But at least I've got a nice clean computer now.

I just finishing up, about to install Nortons then going to bed to warm up.

Anyway, I just received this email and thought everyone should have a read. I don't know how accurate, if at all, it is as I haven't had the opportunity yet to do any research (due to my computer being out of action) but I plan to tomorrow.

Let me know what you think.....

-------------------------o----------------------

CANCER NEWS - FROM JOHNS HOPKINS HOSPITAL
    JUST A REMINDER.......

***No plastics in micro.
    *** No water bottles in freezer.
    *** No plastic wrap in micro.

Johns Hopkins has recently sent this out in their newsletter ...worth noting.
    This information is being circulated at Walter Reed Army Medical Center.
    Dioxin Carcinogens cause cancer, especially breast cancer. Don't freeze your plastic water bottles with water as this also releases dioxins in the plastic. Dr. Edward Fujimoto from Castle hospital was on a TV program explaining this health hazard. (He is the manager of the Wellness Program at the hospital.) He was talking about dioxins and how bad they are for us. He said that we should not be heating our food in the microwave using plastic containers. This applies to foods that contain fat. He said that the combination of fat, high heat and plastics releases dioxins into the food and ultimately into the cells of the body. Dioxins are carcinogens and highly toxic to the cells of our bodies.
    Instead, he recommends using glass, Corning Ware, or ceramic containers for heating food. You get the same results, without the dioxins. So such things as TV dinners, instant ramen and soups, etc., should be removed from the container and heated in something else. Paper isn't bad but you don't know what is in the paper. It's just safer to use tempered glass, Corning Ware, etc. He said we might remember when some of the fast food restaurants moved away from the foam containers to paper. The dioxin problem is one of the reasons.
    To add to this, Saran wrap placed over foods as they are nuked, with the high heat, actually drips poisonous toxins into the food; use paper towels.

**Pass this on to your family & friends & those that are important in your life.

--------------------------------o------------------------------

Tam

2. Tamandco

Tamandco Junior Member

Just noticed the time on my post. No, it's not 9:13am, it's actually 3:13am!!!! Which time zone is 6 hours ahead of Melbourne?

T

3. makehumusnotwar

makehumusnotwar Junior Member

i agree. there is nothing good or healthy about microwaves - their main appeal is convenience. convenience at a cost though. the article seems to talk more about the use of plastics in a microwave, but i would go further and say don't put ANYTHING you were planning on eating in them. the changes in molecular structure, protein abnormalities, carcinogens etc. eat it raw or lightly cooked - but no microwaves.
    and i'd recommend using glass for water bottles regardless of whether you're freezing them or not. besides the multitude of health reasons against plastic, i think our planet has seen enough.

ciao

4. jeanneinsunland

jeanneinsunland Junior Member

I'm proud to say I have never personally owned a microwave, though I have ocassionally lived in a house where there was one. I suspect it is definitely bad for the food, and just bad to have this thing emitting g-d knows what into your house. We are also trying to eliminate plastics from our house, but it is hard. We create very little actual garbage (recycling everything we can), and it seems the majority of what we do throw away is the plastic wrappers that foods came packaged in. Frustrating...

5. Antonino Giglio

Antonino Giglio Junior Member

The other night on the television (I think was channel 7 or 9), at 6.30pm, they talked about the dangers of the microwave oven waves on human health. Brave...

I have a couple of very interesting documents on the dangers of microwaves. Are big files so, if you are interested send me an email at [email protected] and I'll send it to you.

Love,

Antonino

6. pin0y

pin0y New Member

Just wanted to give people some insights...

Straight from an expert representative of the John Hopkins (university) BLOOMBERG School of Public Health regarding this email circulating the internet:

https://www.jhsph.edu/publichealthnews/a ... oxins.html

Article Entitled: Researcher Dispels Myth of Dioxins and Plastic Water Bottles

ie. its funny how many articles that circulates around the internet these days are groundless in the fact that no supporting resources or originating articles are actually provided. Without the supporting facts in the form of reliable links/resources/origin of that article, it's integrity should be QUESTIONED.

People can as easily write up an article and tell people it came from Dr So and so and so it must be true.

PS: Why not do your own research b4 believing everything that you read.

my 2c worth

7. hedwig

hedwig Junior Member

I never had a microwave-oven (i wouldn't know what to do with this) but many people has to warm up their lunch at work. I will look for some BIG glass containers for my poor husband ....

8. Antonino Giglio

Antonino Giglio Junior Member

there are thermoses for lunch, cook your husband lunch and put it in a thermos!
    this is how i bring my lunch!
    how do you think people were doing before microwaves?
    or he can eat a sandwich for lunch, or a sushi! :)
    cheers,
    antonino