Message for Bazman.

Discussion in 'Planting, growing, nurturing Plants' started by Veggie Boy, Nov 15, 2005.

1. Veggie Boy

Veggie Boy Junior Member

Bazman - PM not working so have to give you the message here.

I put the Comfrey root cuttings (30) in the post this morning - so you should expect them tomorrow. Planting instructions are as follows:

Lay horizontally on top of potting mix then cover with 3cm of mix. Keep the potting mix moist. I have found that the time till first leaves breaking the soil varies, so don't assume too early that a cutting is no good.

I plant them quite densely. One and a half to two stryrofoam fruit boxes would fit te 30. When the plants have a reasonable set of leaves (of say -10 cm in size), you should be safe to transplant. You want to make sure there is good root development before transplanting, so pull one out when you think the time is right, and check it out. If it's not ready yet, just bung it back and water back in.

Because, for ease of post, I have chosen relatively thin root cuttings, you may find that the plants/leaves are relatively small when they first shoot and will require a bit of time in the box before transplanting.

From my experience the hit rate should be high - you should end up with very close to 30 plants for transplanting. Until well established in the ground they will need to be kept moist. Comfrey is a great permie plant, but can die back in summer if gets too hot and not enough water. If well established, will most probably shoot again when the time is right. May also die back in winter if gets too cold (not frost tolerant), but again will come back.

Can also become a weed in certain circumstances, but are actually easy to kill back by sheet mulching if necessary – don’t reckon you’ll have that problem, because you will be cutting back for liquid fertiliser, which will keep well under control.

Good luck.

2. bazman

bazman Junior Member

Hi Veggie Boy

Thanks for doing this, I really appreciate the effort and I hope I can help you in return sometime.

I will let you know when they land here.

Thanks again. :D

3. bazman

bazman Junior Member

Hi Paul

The package has landed, thank you again, I will plant them out of the next few days.

Cheers

Baz

4. Richard on Maui

Richard on Maui Junior Member

way to go guys, keep that comfrey expanding!

5. ~Tullymoor~

~Tullymoor~ Junior Member

Yes, very cool Veggie Boy :D

If anyone else wants some, just yell out and I can send you roots in the mail....lol ...is that like some sort of long-distance love affair?? :love10:

6. Franceyne

Franceyne Junior Member

Hey there Tully,

I would be interested in your long-distance love affair once it comes time to divide up the comfrey roots :D

Hopefully we can find something I can send back to you...seeds, plants, wool...?

Cheers,
    Fran.

7. ~Tullymoor~

No worries Fran, I'll send some on Monday.
    No need to send anything back to me, I'd like to just do it...

Then again.......I guess some posters would be just busting to say "Send her GAFFER TAPE !!!" :lol: :lol: :lol:

8. dryland dweller

dryland dweller Junior Member

why that Tully?? got to truss up the pig?? :D
    Pete

9. Franceyne

Franceyne Junior Member

Thanks Tully, much appreciated :D

I have thought of something for you none the less - it's a surprise 8) and it's not gaffer - no way! :lol: Unless you've got a wart you want to be rid of...I hear it's good for that....

:D

Cheers,
    Fran.

10. ~Tullymoor~

Fran...Oooooh, a surprise, haven't had a surprise in a long time. Can't wait.

Pete, nah, not for the pig for my gob.... :razz:

Veggie Boy, how did you send the roots? I got my original ones from Green harvest in a baggie. I haven't any of those so just thought a padded envelope...you know with bubble wrap inside. Whatchoo think?

11. Veggie Boy

Veggie Boy Junior Member

I put them in a baggie and then inside a padded envelope. I had the baggie handy as I had received a vannila orchid cutting in it from Forrest (thanks again forrest, trying to strike it now - not sure how I will go because it got a bit squashed in the post :( ). I then put the baggie into a padded envelope (bubble wrap type). Those evelopes are probably pretty much sealed - so I guess you could put straight into that. Mail is pretty quick these days, particularly if posting within the same State.

I made sure I chose straight roots, for ease of post. I also did not send any really thick ones.