Meeting with Director of Nature Reserves next week ~Suggestions?

Discussion in 'General chat' started by Ppermiez, Apr 16, 2014.

1. Ppermiez

Ppermiez Junior Member

OK so Ive networked with a valuable contact while being here in the Philippines. A local Rotarian who also is a retired Doctor and has his own reforestation project as a hobby, where he has planted various native hardwoods including a local mahogany. Anyways ive told him about my desire to create an Eco village and Permaculture farm, and he is willing to introduce me to a director at the Dept. of Nature reserves here in Cebu, and Id like suggestions and ideas on how to craft my proposal or deliver my project idea

The other post here gives an outline https://forums.permaculturenews.org...culture-Investment-Opportunity-Draft-Feedback of a draft of a potential eco village investment project that doesnt look like its going ahead, and my thoughts are that the goal of the DNR is to preserve native flora and fauna in a beneficial way, with maximum benefit to the local community and the economy

The area is in a 'watershed' conservation zone, so therefore it cannot be bought or sold, which gives an added benefit to participants as the property/real estate market in the Philippines is still in a bit of a 'wild-west' level of maturity, where it can be difficult to have the same property rights we are used to in Australia and western countries.

The Dr believes there may be a lot of problems in working this land as there are many locals living on the land who need sustaining as well as local cultural differences and so on. He seems to believe it will be expensive to plant a large food forest but I think he is coming at the idea from the traditional linear approach where permaculture design is a multifaceted strategic multi-element approach

I think perhaps doing a broad and general design over a large overlay map, but mostly focusing on a proposal that follows the templates and lingo that governments and their typical NGO associates are used to~thoughts?

2. Ppermiez

Ppermiez Junior Member

I think a great strategy which I have come across, which I think is relevant to all permies selling themselves or their projects, is the idea of whats your USP? Unique Selling Proposition?

In other words "Why should someone do business with me?" or "How am I different from another business/person"

Very good marketing wisdom in an ADD-age of saturation of messages, advertising and different stimuli screaming for out attention

Peter Greg

3. kimbo.parker

kimbo.parker Junior Member

patience - and in theory, starting the game before your man, and finishing the game after your man.

meet the guy before he meets you,,,before you get introduced. If he is a professional he is trackable. Join his club, eat at his restaurant, attend his football clubs game.

in this way you have commenced negotiations before he even realises that negotiations have started.

in a similar vein - hold, such that the negotiations he was anticipating failed to materialise in his eyes - they are actually happening, but not at a time in synch with his.

when he finds that he knew you before he got introduced to you,,,and then upon meeting you, you surprise him by conveying that he has nothing you desire or need, then his thoughts will turn from that of potential giver to that of potential receiver. He will seek to advantage himself by your association.

the fish catches itself.

__________________________________caveat; i personally can not do any of this.
    it is way above my league, i just know some game theory.

when i read your posts title about who you were going to meet,,,i thought - 'knife'- small and silent.:)

then i got caught up in the seriousness of the task - and figured the chap needed to find you, and you not find him.

be patient, talk football or food, propose nothing, and let him sense the gain in your association.

good luck

4. helenlee

helenlee Junior Member