medium density with permaculture garden

Discussion in 'Designing, building, making and powering your life' started by jane, Sep 25, 2006.

1. jane

jane Junior Member

Hi
    We spent ages designing a wonderful 5 apartment passive solar medium density unit block with a permaculture garden. Only 45 % hard surfaces. 40,000 litres of rainwater, 10,000 litres of stormwater and a grey water system. Excellent ratings on the BASIX.
    We called it Ironbark because of the 150 year old Ironbark on site.
    The DA will be approved by the end of this week.

But we are small fish and it does not look like we can develop this design.
    The tax system is pushing us to subdivide and sell the land.

Unless there is a housing Co-operative out there that would like to build a dream in Thirroul, Wollongong. Minutes to the station & town facilities. An hour south of Sydney. Minutes to the beach.

Anyone know of such a group?

jane

2. Anastasia

Anastasia Junior Member

I don't know much about this sort of thing, but have you looked at getting investment? There are ethical investors out there who will invest in such things, and if you could design such blocks on a greater scale they might be even more interested? Sorry might be totally off the mark but would be bad to see it go to waste...

3. jane

jane Junior Member

Thanks.
    I don't know much about investors except that they want a return for their money, even ethical investors as far as I know. We can't guarentee a profit.
    And the Banks would take our house if we couldn't repay a loan, hence our reluctance to continue with the idea of borrowing to build. So because we aren't big enough fish to carry a debt, we'll probably sell.
    And a co-housing group could build what we can't do. If there is such a committed group.